PDA

View Full Version : need assistance with body

AliceMarie
11-30-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm doing a painting based on an Enya song - which means it's more of an atmospheric peice with one character. (At least, to me.)

Unfortunately the arms and her left leg don't seem to be working just right. I'm having trouble with her left leg because I'm not entirely sure where the knee is in that position, and what direction it's pointed it - and since that's my major landmark, I'm a bit lost.

So! I'd rather get this sorted out prior to painting. I've had to reposition things after I've almost finished the painting, and I'd really like to avoid it this time.

Thanks! :)

http://www.stalagbyte.com/random/wild_child005.jpg

Gmax
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I think it looks ok - I have no comments on her arms and leg, but her breasts could be pointing more forward, methinks. Her right hand should also be placed a little bit lower, so that the palm of her hand touches the wrist - now it looks more like the hand is joined to her arm on the back side. Her general anatomy may look a little wierd, because she is very "broad", like her shoulders and rib cage were those of a man. You may work out your puzzles if she was more slim. But apart from that, I think you've captured her shape in an excellent way :thumbsup:

evakristjans
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
I personally see nothing significantly wrong with this picture. The only thing striking me that might be bothering you is that her chest is a bit wide and her shoulder is slightly chubby :shrug:

Anyway, good work so far :)

spollock
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I agree with the above chest/breasts comments. I get a little impression of the Michelangelo drawings where he essentially placed a bosom on a male model to make it female. Something with the angle.

I see what you were talking about with the left leg. At this point, I think it's unclear where the left foot goes (even though it's hidden) and I think that sorting that out may help with the leg. Perhaps you should follow up on those two sketchy strokes coming off the left knee and lengthen the thigh a bit? Or turn the leg so the left calf is more under the thigh instead of next to it? Maybe right now they seem to be sharing the same space, with the left foot inside the right thigh instead of under or next to it.

OR I could be completely wrong... I'm not the best with proportions and positioning myself...

Overall, though, I think the sketch is looking fabulous, and would love to see how it ends up as a finished piece.

Jack Youngblood
12-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Actually I think that you are right, the arm is a bit wrong. The far arm would be better shifted down. That would put the hand behind the far leg and also would necesitate lowering the shoulder and breast. This would aslo creat a nicer line leading up to her head from her far shoulder.

The leg you were worried by looks fine.

If you are unclear as to what I mean then I can post a sketch. You obviuolsly know how to draw.

AliceMarie
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey all! Thanks for the input. I'm still working on it, and there are still some issues - primarily with the background.

And that far leg is still giving me problems, but I think it's just a contrast issue, as it's blending in with the cast shadow on the ground. argg. In many ways, I'm still exploring and haven't developed a particular 'style' as of yet.

So the question now is - how the heck do I paint rain??

(I also plan to add in some mini-dragons, or something. :)

http://stalagbyte.com/random/wild_child0060.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.