PDA

View Full Version : Maya doesn't like my videocard

DrAdamDinosaur
02-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Need Help. I recently purchased a 64mb Radeon 8500 and put on the latest drivers and now maya seems to be throwing a tantrum (same with origional drivers.). maya used to work fine, but real slow with my old video card. Firstly, i have received massive speed increases but...

-My lighting changes colour depending on where i rotate the view to. Colours like green, blue, black, yellow or red.

- I can't access the graph editor, dope sheet or trax editor. I really need the graph editor. Trying to open any of these results in a program crash.

If anyone could offer a solution to these problems it would be appreciated. I need graphy back.

forsh
02-28-2002, 02:30 AM
maya is a PoS which requires overpriced gear. get lightwave or max. be happy. render long time.

-buddha

DrAdamDinosaur
02-28-2002, 06:02 AM
not really an option, to much work on the go in Maya. Besides, i only have max 3, its ok but nowhere near as easy to use (workflow stuff) as maya. Looking at lightwave but it seems needlessly hard. Only had a little look though.

Anyway, need maya fix please.

forsh
02-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Lightwave needlessly hard? We have words for buttons...how hard is that? Rather than strange icons.

The only hard thing is "motion designer" gawd who designed that interface and workflow for MD

DrAdamDinosaur
02-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Its just that it has silly names for things. A crlinder is a disk, a cube is a box, etc. after using other programs its like there names for four year olds. I am only just starting so i dont know everything, and i for one don't like the space bar changing modes. I dont switch between polys and splines often enough to need such an important key taken up by this.

Forsh, feel free to email me if you want to discuss this further.

Anyway, this is a thread to help solve my videocard problem, i really need the graph editor, help please.

DrAdamDinosaur
03-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Ok, problem is over now. I have downloaded some beta drivers and they seem to have fixed everything up. For all of you with the same problem they are avaliable from here:

http://www.rage3d.com/

Situation over.

Squash&Strech
03-05-2002, 07:41 PM
I use a Geforce 3 with MAYA and it is Smokin fast, sometimes it slows a little with Animation but for modeling is is great

DrAdamDinosaur
03-12-2002, 07:31 PM
The Radeon gives fast performance in maya which is really good, my only problem now is the colours that the lights change to when ever i select anything of rotate the camera. Its bareable but annoying. Also, i do a lot of modelling in Wings3d and i get annoyed because the card can't display an objects edges without grinding to a halt. It can display modells without edgesand in smooth and shaded (even after smoothing and still be good to work with but it can't display edges unles the model is no more complicated than a cube. The card has a few issues.

3dsmax
03-13-2002, 02:23 PM
I was just about to decide between Radeon 8500 and GeForce Ti4400 to use for Max and Maya...after reading your experience I am leaning toward Ti4400...or am I wrong to assume 8500 has problems?

phatgroovn
03-14-2002, 05:54 PM
The Radeons, while having dope hardware, are known for issues with Maya. ATi has never had a good track record for writing drivers for any card, much less the 8500s. My roomate has an 8500 that he uses for running StudioTools and some Maya, and every week he is pulling his hair out getting it to work.

DrAdamDinosaur
03-19-2002, 05:20 PM
i totally agree. The card is really good for everything other than 3d. When it comes to 3D applications expect the unexpected. I have seen so many posts around the internet complaining about the 8500 performance in maya (only after i got the card though) its a wonder why ATI haven't picked up on this and done something about it. also, i am getting some issues with wings3d and being able to show edges over about 1000 poly.

jazzthief
03-20-2002, 03:56 AM
Keep in mind there's a reason why certain cards are certified from Alias/ Wavefront based on tests. I recommend heading over to AW site for their list of cards compatible to run Maya.

Radeon and GeForce are known for stability problems especially for heavy duty CG. I'm currently using a Fire GL1 which is an adequate card in Maya compared to 2 years ago running in NT (great performance). It does the job but I get the occasional annoying screen refresh rate problem since I upgraded to W2K.

If there's a card to look into you should wait for the Quadro 4 or see if the prices have dropped for the Elsa Quadro DCC when the new Quadro card arrives.

DrAdamDinosaur
03-26-2002, 08:21 AM
The Quatro cards seem really cool except they are probably going to be pretty expensive. I got an 8500 because it was fast and not ultra expensive.

The A|W list is certainly a good place to check out, i only did afterbut i knew that the gf3 cards weren't supported (8500 isn't a gf card). Oh well, buying any new hardware is basically a gamble as to whether or not it will confict with your systems and programs.

themiragemaker
04-07-2002, 05:52 PM
hi adam an everyoone else with this same 8500 color cycling and graph editor crashing problem !

Some of u said u fixed the problem ....(completely??) with the stuff from the rage3d site
Ok could u tell me now what exactly is it that u did - what drivers and tweaks did u use ?
Could u pls tell me the detailed process - Sorry but Im just a student who barely managed to afford to get that @$#%@kin card :annoyed: and really want it to work - I had seen on another forum that someone said to load the drivers from www.omegacenter.com (center, centre ??- i forget) anyways i loaded the latest radeon 8500 win2k 1.1.4.3 drivers but there was no change at all !! :mad:
pls reply as soon as u can - really appreciate it !

Thanks
the miragemaker

dmcgrath
04-08-2002, 06:50 AM
My only experience with ATi is the Rage 128 Pro card about a year ago. Even though I was using W2KPro, I had small problems getting it to open and run maya, it ususally crashed after a little nurbs modeling. The biggest pain in the a$$ was switching to CV editing mode to push and pull points, the CV's wouldn't show up. I have since switched to a 32mb Oxygen VX1. It was reasonably priced and I haven't crashed once since installing this card. But now, of course, it is a little less than stellar when playing games. The refresh rate can be a little janky and there is a great deal more heat. (I added another fan pointed directly at the card). I don't know if this helps but most of the cards that AW recommend for running MAYA can run you alot of money. If there is more I find out I'll let you know.

DrAdamDinosaur
04-13-2002, 12:45 PM
MirageMaker, I recently downloaded the new beta drivers (Win2k - 5.13.6058) from http://www.Rage3d.com and everything seems to be working properly. I am not getting any lighting changes, graph editor works, it all seems fine. The only issue i am getting (not a biggie thoug compared to others) is one i've been getting for a few driver releases where when i open maya the screen brightens slightly. Remember these are beta drivers so they are not guaranteed.

fango
04-29-2002, 09:04 PM
I too had issues with the radeon, same as yours (gizmos showing weird purple funky colours every time i used extrude) .
i installed the latest beta drivers and it works fine now. WHat you need to be sure of is to do a complete uninstall of previous drivers before you upgrade, that is, not just going to add/remove programs, and make sure windows (ususally xp) doesn t "install the drivers by itself for your own convenience" when you reboot.
Here s a complete uninstalling guide for ati drivers, it worked fine with my radeon.
here (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33606840&highlight=uninstalling+drivers+guide)

good luck, ati users are cursed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.