PDA

View Full Version : Changing a bone's parent.

Leebre
11-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Let's say I have oriented a bone that does not have its Z aligned to its parent. Later I decide to change that bone's parent. Is there a way to do and maintain the bone's current orientation? Currently, if I change the parent the bone re-orients in relation to the new parent. Maybe this is a stupid question...

dOMINUSMess
11-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Leebert posted: Currently, if I change the parent the bone re-orients in relation to the new parent. Maybe this is a stupid question...
As a noob, I'm not the best reference, but my guess the re-orientation is unavoidable.
To me it seems a logical effect.

Leebert posted: Maybe this is a stupid question...
I thought such questions did not exist ;) .

hobermann
11-30-2005, 08:23 AM
In Setup mode, under the Items tab where it says New Item, you can click the dropdown and select Parent Items. There's checkboxes for "keep position" and "keep alignment". There's more in the manual.

So you'd select your new parent, then the bone you want to move, check "keep alignment", and click Parent.

It's easier to remember which item should be blue and which should be tan by thinking how you'd do it parenting and un-parenting a bunch of objects at once.

SpikeWorx
11-30-2005, 09:56 AM
---------------

dOMINUSMess
11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
hobermann posted: So you'd select your new parent, then the bone you want to move, check "keep alignment", and click Parent.
Of course ! And I knew that!
I posted EARLY this morning, so I guess I was'nt awake yet ;) .

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.