PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5 Released

BoarderX
11-30-2005, 04:46 AM
Firefox 1.5 (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/)

'Nuff said.

Fahad
11-30-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks, I've been waiting for this.

cheers.

bluepoly
11-30-2005, 06:49 AM
awww sookie!!!

jscott
11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Yay Firefox!

NUKE-CG
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Firefox is great, it is years ahead of Internet Explorer, but Opera is years ahead of Firefox.

And now Opera is free, so it's a no brainer; but as long as there are at least these three big players, things will get updated and everyone is better off.

Fahad
11-30-2005, 01:55 PM
The only thing I like about Opera is how it zooms web pages, is doesn't just enlarge the text, it zooms everything.

It makes browsing the web on a high resolution screen more comfortable.

Other than that, FireFox is a better experience overall, in my opinion.

(I think the zoom feature will be incorporated into the new version, I haven't installed 1.5 yet)

cheers.

Maven
11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with Flash sites? They don't seem to work for me.

chrisWhite
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Very cool, I used Opera for about a month and then moved back to Firefox, I still like it a lot better. :love:

Sonk
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Firefox is great, it is years ahead of Internet Explorer, but Opera is years ahead of Firefox.

And now Opera is free, so it's a no brainer; but as long as there are at least these three big players, things will get updated and everyone is better off.

I still prefer FireFox over Opera. FireFox 1.5 is damn good! alot less popups now.

barbapapa
11-30-2005, 04:22 PM
i like opera better, but i have found that is much slower than firefox. Sometimes it just hangs there and i have to reboot or something, but it has everything a lot more organized than firefox. Ill have to keelp an eye in both.
both are great

SheepFactory
11-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I get A LOT of crashes with this release when viewing embedded quicktime movies. I didnt have that problem with the 1.5 beta. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Beamtracer
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I've liked using the earlier versions of Firefox. What are the new features in version 1.5?

[edit]
I just answered my oen question by going to the Firefox website here:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Better performance
Support for new web standards
Better security against viruses, worms and adware

The last point, security, is where Internet Explorer fails, and why people should switch to Firefox or Opera. I especially like Firefox because it is open source.

Saurus
11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I haven't been happy with firefox's stability and performance...hopefully, 1.5 addresses some of those issues.

harmonic01
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
I get A LOT of crashes with this release when viewing embedded quicktime movies. I didnt have that problem with the 1.5 beta. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I started having those crashes after I instealled QuickTime 7. The new h264 codec crashes firefox for me, for some reason. That was firefox 1.0.7. I'm about to go get 1.5 :)

Fahad
11-30-2005, 08:25 PM

I used to have a bit of a problem with quicktime movies on FF 1.0.7 (FF hangs).

So far since I installed 1.5 I've seen three trailers in QT format, and although I expected it to crash, it didn't.

What I would suggest is, uninstall then clean the registry then reinstall (if you don't have a lot of passwords that you'll forge), and don't forget to backup your favorites.

One thing to keep in mind after you uninstall is try to also remove anything FF related, because when you uninstall and reinstall, even after you clean the registry, you'll find all your FF settings as they were, which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have a problem in the first place (I don't know how to do this procedure though)

I know it's a bother, but it might help.

cheers.

L.Rawlins
11-30-2005, 09:38 PM
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2114/goopera9jx.gif

I use all three, but find the big red 'O' to be the bestest.

Opera 9 is rumoured not to be too far away. Lovely. :)

Velk
11-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Wouldn't that be Overstock.com? ;)
I'll have to check out the new version of FF.

L.Rawlins
11-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't that be Overstock.com? ;)
I'll have to check out the new version of FF.

What's Overstock.com?

EDIT= Nevermind. :)

tozz
12-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Worth mentioning is that 1.5 final is exactly the same as 1.5 RC3, same MD5. So if you had issues with RC3, they haven't been fixed ;)

Jozvex
12-01-2005, 12:57 AM
The only thing I like about Opera is how it zooms web pages, is doesn't just enlarge the text, it zooms everything.

It makes browsing the web on a high resolution screen more comfortable.

Other than that, FireFox is a better experience overall, in my opinion.

This is exactly my position as well. The Opera zoom is really very good and is the only real reason I have Opera installed, for the occasional site. I don't dislike Opera at all, it's great, I just love all the extensions Firefox has and how customizable it is.

noisewar
12-01-2005, 01:10 AM

Using the preview of Opera 9 right now, and it rawks. Finally no more inframe ads covering things up, and the Find in Page highlights as you type. Love.

Nevertheless, glad to see FF is shapin' up and from what I hear it's going on an ad blitz as well. Everything FF does to the internet will be good for Opera as well.

SovereignKnight
12-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Having lots of issues with FF 1.5. The Options menu is unviewable now, most of my extensions don't work, and there's a weird grey bubble that resembles a drop-down menu just sorta floating in my address bar.

I finally got QT movies to work.

I recommend NOT installing it quite yet.

EDIT: I no longer have a scroll bar on the side of my browser anymore either.

LetterRip
12-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with Flash sites? They don't seem to work for me.

Maven - I had the same problem what it is is the flashblock extension the old version hangs around and somehow permanently turns off flash. Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_NAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.wsy\chrome

and delete the flashblock.jar files in there (I deleted everything but that is likely overkill). Then you should be able to reinstall flashblock and be okay.

LetterRip

Jozvex
12-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Having lots of issues with FF 1.5. The Options menu is unviewable now, most of my extensions don't work, and there's a weird grey bubble that resembles a drop-down menu just sorta floating in my address bar.

I finally got QT movies to work.

I recommend NOT installing it quite yet.

EDIT: I no longer have a scroll bar on the side of my browser anymore either.

Hmm weird! Have you tried a completely fresh install (ie uninstalled Firefox and deleted/moved the preferences)? I've done that on two computers so far and 1.5 is working perfectly.

I miss googlebar though! It's not updated yet.

EDIT: Well I'm not sure if this was released by the official author, but it turns out someone has updated Googlebar for 1.5:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=4336

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.