PDA

View Full Version : Painter constraint angles

Dream Artisan
11-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I have a question regarding Painter: is it possible to eliminate the 45 degree constraining angle and only have horizontal and vertical constraints on brush strokes? I have to keep redrawing lines after often getting the 45 degree angles. It's driving me nuts. I'm using Painter 8, so maybe theyv'e improved that by now.

Jinbrown
11-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I don't think there's a way to constrain straight lines to horizontal (or vertical). That method only works for 90 degree and 45 degree strokes.

Instead, click the V key to paint Straight Line Strokes and if you need to, use the Grid as a guide.

Use Canvas > Grid > Grid Options to set the grid spacing.

Check Canvas > Grid > Snap to Grid to make your line begin and end at a grid intersection.

To paint Straight Line Strokes, click at the beginning point, click near the ending point and hold while dragging to the exact point where you want the line to end.

To begin a new Straight Line Stroke in another location, first click the V key.

To toggle the Grid off and on, use Ctrl/Command+' or click the Grid icon in the upper right corner of the image window.

Dream Artisan
11-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. What key do you use to escape from that line mode?

The more I look at the shift constrain, the more it looks like a bug or UI issue. Even when I draw straight down at 90 degrees, it contrains it 45 degrees to the right or left--hard to get predictable results with this feature. I've watched Gnomon DVDs where I see this happening to the artists not infrequently. I wonder if the new Painter has overcome this issue?

Jinbrown
12-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Sorry, I should have included that.

Click the B key (also used to activate the Brush tool), to paint Freehand Strokes.

Or, you can use the icons on the Property Bar once the Brush tool is active.

From left to right these icons are:

Reset Tool (doesn't seem to work, or I just haven't figured it out)

Freehand Strokes

Straight Line Strokes

Align to Path (used to paint with a brush varaint, following the path of a Shape made with the Pen, Quick Curve, Rectangular Shape, or Oval Shape tool)

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.