PDA

View Full Version : New Auto-rigger for Maya and Free Rigs

anzovin
11-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Today, we're releasing The Setup Machine 2 for Maya, an all-new version of our automated character rigging plug-in.

Detailed info, store links, and 30 minutes of demo movies are available at:

http://www.anzovin.com/TSM2Maya

You can download free rigged models of a detailed wolf and a simple biped at:

http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafhashvideotapes/TSM2Mwolf.zip
http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafhashvideotapes/TSM2Mguy.zip

TSM2 will be demoed at 3December in Boston by the rig designer, Raf Anzovin:

http://www.alias.com/eng/about/events/3december/index.shtml

About TSM2

The Setup Machine 2 for Maya enables you to easily and quickly rig a wide variety of CG characters for animation. With just a few clicks, The Setup Machine 2 for Maya installs a high-quality control rig and applies accurate skin weighting to human, animal, and creature models, a task that normally takes anywhere from several hours to several days.

TSM2’s approach to rigging is completely new. Simply fit readymade rig parts called widgets into your model, then click once to do the actual setup and weighting. There is no limitation on how parts are snapped together. The widgets make it simple to construct any body plan, including fantasy creatures like centaurs. TSM2 for Maya is fully modular and customizable and includes both a properly functioning quadruped system and a tail/tentacle system with fully adjustable, automated lag.

The rig has been totally rewritten to include modern features such as those developed for Disney’s Chicken Little and Pixar’s The Incredibles. Advanced capabilities include stretchiness on all limbs and in three zones of the head; FK-IK switches on every system, including the spine and head; hyperextension on limbs and digits; an additional forearm and foreleg joint for extra posing control; and full positional and rotational isolation of all controls.

TSM2 for Maya’s auto-weighting saves hours of tedious weight painting. Exclusion sets allow riggers to quickly eliminate unwanted influences on nearby regions of the character, so that, for example, weighting on one leg does not influence the other.

Versions are available for Maya 6.5 and 7 running on Windows. A version for Maya 7 on OSX is planned. There is an upgrade path for owners of TSM1. Site licenses are available for studios and educational institutions.

What They Say About TSM2 for Maya

“The fact that the spine is based off mine is quite flattering. And the best part…is that it’s even BETTER than mine!”—Jason Schleifer, rigger of WETA’s Gollum

“This new version looks tasty! You've pulled away from the pack with this one.”-Keith Lango, animator, DNA

“Most impressive. The limbs are really slick.”—Sean Nolan, Character TD, Shaba Games

“That's an amazing rig! Quite stunned by the isolation controls and the proxy setup.”—Chris Baker, artist/animator

“There are other products on the market to be sure, but none is as complete as this.”—Mike Milo, animator

Enjoy the free rigs!

Raf Anzovin
Steve Anzovin
Morgan Robinson
Anzovin Studio, Inc.
http://www.anzovin.com

Dudeman
11-29-2005, 10:34 PM
This looks really impressive!
But in the demo vids there was no mention of "Smart FK/IK switching allows limbs to be switched without losing their position".
I'm assuming this was a feature not shown.

But all in all very nice on a production standpoint.

-Dudeman:thumbsup:

iC4
11-29-2005, 11:32 PM
wow - this looks amazing!

anzovin
11-29-2005, 11:40 PM
But in the demo vids there was no mention of "Smart FK/IK switching allows limbs to be switched without losing their position".
I'm assuming this was a feature not shown.

Yes--the movies show Raf working with an alpha version of TSM2 which did not yet have all features implemented. We are editing some new movies that will show all the latest goodies. Meantime, you can read about the Smart FK/IK switch in the manual.

http://www.anzovin.com/TSM2manual.htm

Thanks,

Steve
Anzovin Studio

harlan_hill
11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Steve,

I noticed you mentioned an OSX version is in the works. Roughly, how far out do you think this is before shipping?

Also, how is the licensing setup on this? The majority of our shop is OSX based; although we have a few PC boxes for rendering. Do you offer platform independent licensing at all (ie: if I purchased some licesnes of the Windows version to test out, could we switch those to OSX when you ship the final OSX product?

Thanks in advance.

Slurry
11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Just placed my order. Excited to try it out!

Thanks Steve! :thumbsup:

Art

DangerAhead
11-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Holy crap. This tool is amazing.

I've always wanted to sit down and write something that autorigged for my stuff, but this is above and beyond what I had in mind.

I will most definitely buy a copy of this for myself for Christmas.

Icarus
11-30-2005, 03:05 AM
wow, definatly gonna look into this :D:D:D:D

Looking foward to the mac version :)

FloydBishop
11-30-2005, 05:27 AM
I'll be at the presentation you guys are doing for 3December up in Waltham. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

ThomasMahler
11-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I think I'm in too - the movies look great!

mustique
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
This is a revolution! This is an excellent tool!

The only thing left to be desired is Motionbuilder like behaviour, where the spine would start to react as the hand is moved downward below knees etc.. I also wonder if there are limitations with that rig in the Trax editor.

If TSM2 takes care of these too, its will be the ultimate rigging solution for years to come.

olioli
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
hopefully osx will come soon :thumbsup:

rafanzovin
11-30-2005, 07:33 PM
The only thing left to be desired is Motionbuilder like behaviour, where the spine would start to react as the hand is moved downward below knees etc.. I also wonder if there are limitations with that rig in the Trax editor.

No limitations in the Trax editor: once the rig has been created, it can be treated like any other Maya rig.

My goal when designing the setup was to allow the animator as much direct control of every aspect of the character as possible, while making the controls simple and easy to use. This is very different from the approach taken by HumanIK, which tries to make it's own guesses about what you're doing. But I have some ideas about using a separate HumanIK rig to pose a Setup Machine rig that I may implement in future versions.

We're going to be starting work on the OSX port shortly--if all goes well, it shouldn't be too far away!

--Raf

thedigitalmonkey
11-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm interested but the videos don't work for me- I hear sound but get just a white box for image. Are you using some funky codec?

anzovin
12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm interested but the videos don't work for me- I hear sound but get just a white box for image. Are you using some funky codec?

Should play fine with standard QuickTime 7. Nothing funky used.

BTW, people might like to read Keith Lango's assessment of TSM2:

http://www.keithlango.com

Steve
Anzovin Studio

mustique
12-01-2005, 01:54 AM
No limitations in the Trax editor: once the rig has been created, it can be treated like any other Maya rig.

My goal when designing the setup was to allow the animator as much direct control of every aspect of the character as possible, while making the controls simple and easy to use. This is very different from the approach taken by HumanIK, which tries to make it's own guesses about what you're doing. But I have some ideas about using a separate HumanIK rig to pose a Setup Machine rig that I may implement in future versions...
--Raf

Thx a lot anzovin.
I can see why you didn't implement HumanIk controls as of now, it's still buggy.
Full trax editor support is great. Again congrats for such a great tool. :buttrock:

FUoSS
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM
I just got this and applied it to a character I was getting ready to rig manually. AWESOME! I had to do very minimul tweaking after the auto rigging was complete. Worked great on my cartoon like character with very short legs and arms and huge feet.

Thanks for releasing this great tool!

DangerAhead
12-02-2005, 12:19 AM
I bought a SetUpMachine for v 7.0.

The "More Rigs" button is broken:
http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafhashvideotapes/TSM2centaur.zip

anzovin
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
I bought a SetUpMachine for v 7.0.

The "More Rigs" button is broken:
http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafhashvideotapes/TSM2centaur.zip

Not broken exactly--the button is actually labeled "More Rigs TK", which means the rigs are "TK"--"To Come". Maybe I should label that more clearly. Anyway, we're pulling together a rigged centaur and a squid for everyone next week. Raf's trip to 3December this weekend delayed things a bit.

Steve
Anzovin Studio

DangerAhead
12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks steve.

Do you plan any custom rigs that will allow additional arbitrary limb placement in phase 1?

like adding a third leg or subtracting an arm or wing?

The reason I ask is I have some very asymetrical characters I'm working on and some of them have many legs or arms on a quadraped or bipedal base.

Wings and tentacles would be nice too.

anzovin
12-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks steve.

Do you plan any custom rigs that will allow additional arbitrary limb placement in phase 1?

like adding a third leg or subtracting an arm or wing?

The reason I ask is I have some very asymetrical characters I'm working on and some of them have many legs or arms on a quadraped or bipedal base.

Wings and tentacles would be nice too.

TSM2 already allows completely modular and asymmetrical body plans. You can build any kind of creature you want. TSM2 already includes a tail/tentacle and quadruped leg controls. We will be adding an insect leg and a wing in a future releases. Meantime, we will be putting up a sample centaur and a squid to show off some of the other TSM2 features.

Steve
Anzovin Studio

Slurry
12-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi Steve,

I noticed the release for TSM2 Maya 6 was supposed to be today. I am eagerly waiting for my email notice! I have a quadraped to rig and animate for a job.
Is it still on schedule to be released today?

Art :)

anzovin
12-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi Steve,

I noticed the release for TSM2 Maya 6 was supposed to be today. I am eagerly waiting for my email notice! I have a quadraped to rig and animate for a job.
Is it still on schedule to be released today?

Art :)

We're working furiously on it...unless an asteroid hits town here, expect a link and serial from Morgan before midnight. ;-)

Steve
Anzovin Studio

Slurry
12-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I am indebted! :bowdown:

You guys so rock! :buttrock:

Art

FloydBishop
12-05-2005, 01:39 AM
I sat in the front row of Raf's presentatio nat 3December up in Boston on Saturday, and I asked a lot of questions. He sold me for sure. A rigging friend of mine was with me, and his quote after the presentatio nwas "well, I guess I'm out of a lot of work".

We were both quite skeptical prior to the presentation, nothing against Anzovin, but there are a lot of tools out there that claim to streamline things which only end up bogging down the process somewhere else. That is not the case with this tool. The rigs are very powerful, easy to animate, and fast to set up. Raf literally rigged a charatcer in the last five minutes of the presentation.

I'm placing my order later this week, once we get our Maya 7 upgrades.

Nice stuff!

Proximus
12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Happy they decided to release that, it was some doubt that Maya ver.2 would see the light, if I remember corectly.
I was using their setup machine for Animation Master and I was saving tons of time, also the previous ver. for Maya was awsome so I would aspect v.2 to be better.

3DChobo
12-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't understand, why is the Alias Website soo much better, than the Autodesk website?

this sux.

Bart_K
12-05-2005, 03:19 PM
hi guys

watched the vids on your site, and must say TSM looks pretty impressive so far. hovewer ever since my friend showed me CAT for Max, i can't get that plug outta my head... would it be very hard to implement an automatic walk/run solution in TSM? Could be a real time-saver in some cases...

cheers
bart

anzovin
12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
The Setup Machine 2 versions for Maya 5 and 6 are now shipping, along with the versions for Maya 6.5 and 7.

http://www.anzovin.com/TSM2Maya

So we've got you just about all covered. All rigs work exactly the same way. We plan to bring out a version of TSM2 for the Mac OSX version of Maya in early 2006.

Hey, thanks for all the great comments! We'll be working to improve TSM2 based on the input of our customers, so we're eager to hear what you think and what you want.

Regards,

Steve
Anzovin Studio
http://www.anzovin.com

rafanzovin
12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
watched the vids on your site, and must say TSM looks pretty impressive so far. hovewer ever since my friend showed me CAT for Max, i can't get that plug outta my head... would it be very hard to implement an automatic walk/run solution in TSM? Could be a real time-saver in some cases...

CAT and TSM are very different kinds of tools. CAT is a character animation tool that runs inside MAX, kind of like the way Messiah used to run inside Lightwave (though more seamlessly integrated). TSM is an auto-rigging tool that creates rigs for use with Maya's animation tools. That's why CAT costs $1000 and TSM costs $99. So a walk/run simulator is a bit beyond the scope of what we're doing (and anyway, I'm always a bit leary of any tool that purports to actually animate for you).

--Raf

Wilson-3d
12-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Just want to say I am looking forward to the OSX version. Glad to see you are making one and am planning on purchasing. Please update the post here when its ready.
Thanks

Dudeman
12-06-2005, 06:07 PM
While loading sample guy.ma into Mya 6.0.1 I get an error. IS this not compatible below Maya 6.5?:

pv_performAction "C:/Documents and Settings/nelsp/Desktop/guy.ma" "Best Guess";
file -f -typ "mayaAscii" -o "C:/Documents and Settings/nelsp/Desktop/guy.ma";addRecentFile("C:/Documents and Settings/nelsp/Desktop/guy.ma", "mayaAscii");
// Error: file: C:/Documents and Settings/nelsp/Desktop/guy.ma line 4: Unknown Maya file version: 6.5. //
// File read in 0 seconds.
// Warning: Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
Please check the Script Editor for details. //
// Error: Error reading file. //
// Error: //

Removing duplicates in scene from import.
Searching:
Done removing duplicates.

-Dudeman

anzovin
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
While loading sample guy.ma into Mya 6.0.1 I get an error. IS this not compatible below Maya 6.5?:
-Dudeman

These particular sample rigs are for Maya 6.5 and 7 only. You can find versions that work with Maya 6 at

http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/lib/rafhashvideotapes/TSM2M6rigs.zip

I'll put a link up for these on the TSM2 page shortly.

Steve
Anzovin Studio

Gnimmel
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I sat in the front row of Raf's presentatio nat 3December up in Boston on Saturday, and I asked a lot of questions. He sold me for sure. A rigging friend of mine was with me, and his quote after the presentatio nwas "well, I guess I'm out of a lot of work".

But at least I can still animate, model and program, so I'll still have some work ;)

This is the first auto rigger that I've seen and liked, so I put in a request to order it at work, and that has just been approved. I may not get to rig as much now, but that just leaves more time for animation, which is more fun anyway.

I have to say, great work, even if I do get less rigging work now!

Richard

Ejecta
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Very cool! If Mr Lango saysy it's cool well then I must have it. LOL Just kidding. Great work Anzovin Studio. Thanks for just making my life easier and helping me get to animating quiker which is what I really like to do the most anyway.

Nick2970
12-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I bought it three days ago and have had nothing but joy from it!!, this is simply the best auto-rigging (and skinning) tool ever, I love how you can make up rigs from seperate pieces, like spines and legs etc.

This plugin is rock-solid stable, intuitive, the manual is thorough and reads easily. The rigs are unbelievably versatile and powerful, with all the best rigging ideas included.

My only suggestion would be to put the manual online so people can get an idea how great this thing is to work with, the free examples are great but they don't really show the process like the manual does

cheers, Nick

rafanzovin
12-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks, Nick! I'm glad you like it. The manual is online at http://www.anzovin.com/TSM2manual.htm and is linked to from the main Setup Machine page.

--Raf

kiko
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
The only thing left to be desired is Motionbuilder like behaviour, where the spine would start to react as the hand is moved downward below knees etc..

They always show off MotionBuilder's rig capabilities by pulling the arm to get the guy to reach for the floor, but we use MB everyday in production and I have never seen an animator actually doing that to pose a character.

I think that workflow is counter-intuitive for animators, time and again we'll lower the hips, rotate the spine, and then move the arm IK.

Maybe is just that we're used to that old school sequence of posing, maybe is because one of the principles of animating is that all action in a characters originates from the center of gravity (the hips).

Anyway, a common complaint about MB is - as Ralph put it- that it tries to guess what you want to do, sometimes that's good, often it results in the animator losing control over the animation process.

That said, MB's aproach does have its strengths, often I miss them when going back to Maya, but then the feeling of full control in a Maya rig is so reassuring.
Perhaps if the guys at Anzovin can manage to incorporate the best of MB's approach without compromising that feeling of control, they'd strike gold Jerry...gold!

Looking forward the Mac version!

Kiko

chadtheartist
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I like how you can move the rig around, in order to match the orientation of the bone positions of the model. Very cool. I'm not familiar with rigging too much, but I think this would be an excellent way to get started!

I do have a quick question about TSM2. I'm curious to know if you can have controls for the toes on a model? I read through the manual, and it appears that you can add different widgets to any part of a model. So I assume you can do that for the toes too, just use the finger widgets. But I was just curious to see if it was possible or not.

The reason why I'm asking is I have a character I'd like to test this out on, and it has very long, finger-like toes similar to a frog.

Biped Figure with Long finger like toes (http://www.chadhamlet.com/amphibia/images/wire.jpg)

keithlango
01-05-2006, 09:24 PM
TSM2 for Maya is awesome! It's already saved my bacon a few times on my personal short film project. I had a character that was mostly rigged before I got TSM, but the spine and arms weren't working the way I wanted them to. So I ripped out my old rig components for those bits and rebuilt those parts of the rig with TSM. It was so easy to build just a new spine or new arms, while keeping the rest of my rig working the way I liked. The modularity of widgets is just too cool for words. Stable, reliable, fast, easy. I've worked on feature film properites that haven't had rigs as solid as TSM makes 'em. Even if you only rig one character per year you need to buy this thing. The time you save will be WAY more valuable than the $99 you'll spend on TSM.
And no, I don't get paid to say this stuff. It's really just that cool. :love:

-k

chadtheartist
01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Is it possible to add joints for individual toes too? I'm positive I'm going to buy it wether or not, but it would be good if it did. :D

Paul B
01-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm just learning about Cg animation in my spare time. I was able build a simple working character from scratch in a couple of hours (rigged and weight painted) and was animating it late last night. The rig is better than anything I could have imagined. There are tons of attributes for every possible foot and toe position, auto-stretch for the head and limbs and switchable IF/FK...I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

It's really, really, really good value if you want to learn about animation and enjoy creating your own characters but haven't got the knowledge to rig them. Positioning the widgets is actually kind of fun, it's a very well thought out tool and creates very little frustration and is somehow very forgiving when you run your character through the Setup Machine2 -it generally always worked out pretty well for me though I did try it positioning the widgets a few slightly different ways (but it was a quick easy process, so I was learning and actually enjoying myself).

I couldn't be much happier, it was money well spent.

My Fault
01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Is it possible to add joints for individual toes too? I'm positive I'm going to buy it wether or not, but it would be good if it did. :D

Yes, when you first build a biped you can choose the number of toes (up to 6) or you can just build it in the separate parts later. I don't see anything in your character (which looks fantastic BTW) that you couldn't do with the Setup Machine 2.

FloydBishop
01-06-2006, 02:40 PM
We picked it up and we love using it.

Stahlberg
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I also just bought it, and I'm also amazed at the power of this rig. Really great job guys! :)
Just one little question (I did email but no reply yet): it seems difficult to get the arrow on the elbow to point in a particular direction. Each time I adjust it I have to re-adjust all 5 fingers again, finger by finger. Can I orient only the elbow? Or adjust the whole hand as one piece? Or should I adjust my model's arms to fit the widgets?

Suggestions: cool if we could make Blendshapes on the proxy pieces. It would be better than, or perhaps a good complement to, creating them on the skin.
Thanks for a great product.

Nichod
01-06-2006, 04:54 PM
For those that don't know. Steve Anzovin is ill and not doing well.

RobPowers
01-06-2006, 05:00 PM
It's my understanding that he passed away. I'm sorry to hear that and wish the family the best.

leuey
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I bought it the other day and have been rigging a hand (ironically) - I don't think you can move the entire hand while lining up the widgets, my guess is they have to keep the fingers oriented in some position for the rigging part. But you can use the finger and thumb widges to align your digits before adjusting the finger joints on x,y to fit the model.

Overall it's already paid for itself (like an hour after I bought it) - I have been getting some strange results w/ the exclusion sets though. If I have time I'll post a movie.

-Greg

edit: sorry to hear about Steve Anzovin, the cg community had a tough year.

I also just bought it, and I'm also amazed at the power of this rig. Really great job guys! :)
Just one little question (I did email but no reply yet): it seems difficult to get the arrow on the elbow to point in a particular direction. Each time I adjust it I have to re-adjust all 5 fingers again, finger by finger. Can I orient only the elbow? Or adjust the whole hand as one piece? Or should I adjust my model's arms to fit the widgets?

Bonedaddy
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd like to get this, but I'm running Linux. What parts of this are Windows-based? I was under the impression that it's likely just a collection of MEL scripts. Is it a plugin? Is the copy protection scheme Windows-based?

I mean, if I have to dual-boot, I can, but I'd rather be able to dissect the MEL scripts and use them to my own ends.

Also, my sympathies to everyone at Anzovin re: Steve, that's a tough go of it.

chadtheartist
01-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh man, I didn't know he was ill. I want to offer my condelences to the Anzovin family. I'm sure he will be missed. He has been an influence to the CG community for quite a while, his legacy will be remembered for ages to come!

kiko
01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear that, my condolences to the Anzovin family.

nitindesign
01-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Unbelievable! I did not know the guy that well but he had contacted me some time ago asking if he could use my Dacoit motorbike renders for his new Maya book. I said yes to him but then after few e-mails I never heard from him. Now I know why :argh:. Very sad indeed!
From the few e-mails he exchanged with me he came across as a very nice guy. I had no idea that he was going through so much stuff in his life :-( Reading this news really made me sad.

My thoughts are with his family. If there is an after life then we shall see him on the other side. Rest in peace my friend :sad:

Grgeon
01-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Can this be confirmed? This is truly sad news and if it is indeed true, we should start up a new thread to offer condolences to the family. Steve was a great person. Him and Raf were a great father/son duo.

All the best to the Anzovin family.

God Bless,
George

nitindesign
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Can this be confirmed? This is truly sad news and if it is indeed true, we should start up a new thread to offer condolences to the family. Steve was a great person. Him and Raf were a great father/son duo.

All the best to the Anzovin family.

God Bless,
George

Googling revealed this-

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19210

I agree a new thread should be started dedicated to him.

the_zed_axis
01-07-2006, 11:28 AM
he was a good man :) and i wish his family all the best for their future

gunslingerblack
01-07-2006, 07:20 PM
i didn't know either of them personally, but my condolences go out to raf and his family

mustique
01-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Sad... Really sad news. :(
My condolences to his family.

Paul B
01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm having lots of fun learning basic CG animation skills with this thing. I've found that you get a really elegant, useful bouncing ball rig just by using a sphere with a spine widget. A ball with a tail is easy to make as well.

rkrehe20
05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
hmmm most intruiging

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.