PDA

View Full Version : "Children Of Lir" - Samuel Blake (Somhairle)

Somhairle
11-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

Well, I entered quite late in the 2d spectacular competition, but that's as far as it got - I've been busy working on a game mod (modeling/textures) - so instead of posting anything else to that thread I'm starting it here because I'll have more time to finish it.

I havn't really seen anything on Irish mythology in the forums (or any for that matter). anyways, from the idea of "spectacular" I thought ...hmmm, "the children of Lir" could be a nice one. so I'm taking some artistic license and changing the "children" so they are a little older - in their teens - as opposed to being quite so young.

here is the first quick gesture of "Fionnuala" (the only girl and one of the eldest) as she turns into a swan. I've drawn various poses to mimic the shape of swans in some way or another, added cloth dancing in the air. I want to create gracefull ballet-like movements in this painting and hopefully it will still have that quality in the final piece.

- Sam

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/dreoilin/painting/SamuelBlake_Lir_01.jpg

mornie
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Oooh, neat! I love the pose. I can't wait to see this more fleshed out. I think you should work this one out. :)

mrtristan
11-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Fantastic job on the pose; I always have to do studies to get it to seem that "physical".

I'm not sure about the "turning into a swan" action. This looks like it she's about to turn
into something, but I'm not making the swan connection myself. You could probably toss a couple of feathers on the ground and just make everything look good. That would probably be very cool.

Somhairle
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
mornie: thanks, I'll do my best! :)

mrtristan: cheers! I'm trying to use the human form by itself as much as possible to make them read as swan silhouettes. Then I'll embelish the features more on one or two of the "children". In the Myth, they changed into swans in a lake, so her knees/skirt are submerged in the water. Yep, I'll definately put some feathers in the scene.

I've also been working on some celtic face-paint ideas that reflect the swans more, and keeps the piece a little more tribal. The children were changed into swans for 900 years. Only to be changed back when the bell of the new god could be heard (Pagan > Christianity).

I'll post some more tomorrow.

Rebeccak
11-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Whee, great to see your work Sam! I subscribed earlier today, can't wait to see how this develops! Glad to have you back on the boards. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Somhairle
11-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Hi Rebecca, thanks for the support! :)

this is a quick rough for the eye makeup (kind of "swanish" mask) that I'm putting both on the girl and the three boys. I want to keep everything as loose as possible through the whole thing, yet tighten it up where it really counts.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/dreoilin/painting/samuelblake_Lir_02.jpg

Rebeccak
12-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Love the contrast in the detailed / undetailed area of this piece. If this is not a portrait of malcontent, I don't know what is! :scream:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 05:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.