PDA

View Full Version : New DVDs due soon from CG Academy

Chris Thomas
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
See the bottom post of page 2 of this thread for the release info ;)

Advanced Texturing 1: Creature UV Unwrapping by Dominic Qwek

In the next week or two CG Academy will be releasing the second of our texturing DVD series. Creature UV Unwrapping is an Advanced level title that runs through two main workflows for unwrapping the UV's of a complex creature, in this case the monster Dominic produced for his Advanced Creature Modelling DVD (http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_modelling/dvds_modelling_advanced_01/dvds_modelling_advanced1.php).

In the first two thirds of the new DVD Dominic works via the traditional workflow (Max 7.0 and below) to manually unwrap the creatures UVs. He then runs through methods to minimize UV distortion and an approach to reduce the appearance of UV seams and other key techniques.

In the last third of the DVD he looks at the new tools introduced in Max 8.0, in particular the new Pelt Mapping feature and what it brings to the table. Many think the new system will do the entire process for you (if only) but although it takes much of the grunt out of creature unwrapping, there are still best practices to follow, and Dominic demonstrates these here.

Later in December we will be releasing another DVD in this series. This intermediate title will provide an introduction to the UVW Unwrap tool in Max 8.0 and run through a practical project to manually unwrap the UVs of a game level model (A sci-fi building). The focus on this DVD will be the fundamentals of UV unwrapping workflow, and the basic structure and systems of 3dsmax's unwrapping tool.

Cheers

yolao
11-29-2005, 04:05 PM
hey Chris your dvd training looks fantastic, but i`m a Maya user, i wonder if you guys are goin to have maya training at some point in the future?

Chris Thomas
11-29-2005, 04:40 PM
We currently don't have any firm plans in that direction. However, its been a goal of mine for some time to make our DVD as platform independant as possible where it makes sense. For instance, I have a Lighting/Rendering series being worked on right now that will be hopefully as useful to a Maya/XSI user as to a 3dmax user.

I'm really going to focus more there on pure theory rather than on button pushing, so the info on those DVDs should hopefully apply to any user on any platform. Of course practical application (button pushing) does also have its place, and I have specific DVDs on certain renderers planned to follow on from that series i.e. Mental Ray, Brazil, Vray etc. These are all going cross platform, so yet again these DVDs will be of more general use than in our previous DVDs (all 3dsmax centric)

I'll try and flag these DVDs on release that they are usful to Maya/XSI users etc.

Cheers

yolao
11-29-2005, 05:05 PM
hey Chris thanks for the reply, Dominic first made a dvd about modeling, now a dvd about how to uv map the creature made in he`s modeling dvd...i wonder if he is goin to make eventually a dvd of how to texture this creature, with all the maps, specular, bump, etc?....even as a maya user i`m sure i`m goin to buy that one....and also the lighting and rendering!!

Chris Thomas
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Yes, we have considered doing such a DVD and I think it could make a pretty good title. I'm not sure what Dominics plans are for the near future, but I'll put it too him and see what he thinks. I certainly see it as a logical progression of what we have been doing so far. It may make sense for him to also do a Z-Brush2 displacement map for that DVD.

I'll give an update on this if and when there is any news.

Cheers

dominicqwek
12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm definitely not ruling out the possibility of an entire series for this creature, however, I can't confirm anything as yet due to my current employment status. I'm really excited to go all out with this model, give it nice displacement coupled with colour, spec and bump map. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

Here's a render of the creature with its UVs fully unwrapped to give you guys a better understanding of what the DVD is about. Cheers. :)

http://www.dominicqwek.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_bob_03.jpg
http://www.dominicqwek.com/main/cga_uv_bob_final.jpg

Mahlon
12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Awesome. Will be looking forward to this one. This is the area I need most help in...

Mahlon

DevilHacker
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Good job. Looks great!
My friend uses 3dsmax, and has a few of your DVD's. All good stuff...
Any chance of XSI versions of the older, past DVD's coming out soon?
:D

Chris Thomas
12-02-2005, 11:59 AM
At the momment we don't have any plans to produce material for XSI. In the future though we will certainly consider it, its a great package and its certainly leading the field these days in some areas (integrated node based compositing, and character tools etc). The main issue at the momment is it's user base size. For it to be viable for us I think the user base is going to have to grow by quite a bit, as right now it trails Maya and 3dsmax by a large margin (from what I know) and only a small percentage of any packages users both need training material and are willing to invest in it. So right now my intuition is that the XSI training market is very small, though there is no doubt there is a strong need for training materials.

Cheers

gavin_hughes
12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
lol, i hope it wont cost poor noobs $76 to unwrap UVs...
i guess its "advanced" uv unwrapping; maybe it will.

Chris Thomas
12-02-2005, 02:01 PM
The fundamentals DVD in this series is on-sale now at 36GBP and of the three is the one most suited to new 3D users (noobs).

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_fundamentals_01/dvds_texturing_funda_01.php

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_fundamentals_01/packshot.jpg (http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_fundamentals_01/dvds_texturing_funda_01.php)

The second DVD being produce by me will cover the fundamentals of the UVW Unwrapping tool, this is an intermediate DVD and so will sell at 36GBP. Dominic's DVD covers the advanced end of using the UVW Unwrap tool and that entails unwrapping a complex creature, both in 3dsmax 7.0 (the traditional, more manual approach) and in Max 8.0 using the new Pelt and Relax UV features in concert. This DVD will sell at 44GBP and certainly is not aimed at "noobs".

From our customer base I have not had ONE complaint about our DVDs being poor value for money. And I've only ever had positive comments about the breadth and quality of the training material contained on our DVDs.

If you had someone do one to one training with you, the going rate in the UK is 500GBP per day. I'm not sure what the rate would be elsewhere, but I understand its near or at that level. And that instructor is not necassarily or even probably going to have the skill levels of our instructors (all working industry professionals, many award winning).

Value is often in the eye of the beholder, but I think our DVDs offer outstanding value, and so far our customers agree, noobs and seasoned professionals alike ;)

Cheers

jonny3d
12-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I have to agree with Chris's point, as we have used alot of the DVD's to help train noob's and they have all found them very helpful, so to us they are good value for money and will in the long run pay off as your getting tuition from some of the best in the 3dsMax world tackling real world issues found in the production of games and film effects etc, and with a proffesional approach. chris is right "Value is often in the eye of the beholder"

we are looking forward to the Unwrap dvd's :)

-jonny3d

Reepoman
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm not trying to be funny here but what would put me off the DVD is the presenters voice. Could you not get someone who speaks clear and concise english? :D

Chris Thomas
12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, accents are a normal part of modern English eh? We have instructors from Wales, Canada, Bulgaria, Hungary, Australia and Singapore. Personally I can understand all of them perfectly, If I could not I would not consider them for the DVDs.

I think its more important that the instructor knows their subject to a very high level over them having perfect English. Computer graphics is a VERY international profession and I think limiting our experts to only native English speakers would be a very blinkered viewpoint? Don't get me wrong, but are you looking for 1940's BBC English or?

Cheers

Reepoman
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Well, accents are a normal part of modern English eh? We have instructors from Wales, Canada, Bulgaria, Hungary, Australia and Singapore. Personally I can understand all of them perfectly, If I could not I would not consider them for the DVDs.

I think its more important that the instructor knows their subject to a very high level over them having perfect English. Computer graphics is a VERY international profession and I think limiting our experts to only native English speakers would be a very blinkered viewpoint? Don't get me wrong, but are you looking for 1940's BBC English or?

Cheers

1940's bbc english, now your talking! :scream:

As I said I'm not trying to be funny, it's just a preference. 3 + hours of thick accents can take a little away from the whole experience. But with that said it looks like a very nice product. :thumbsup:

PEN
12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Cheers

Well I know people that have English as thier native language and you can't understand a word that they say, just talk to a newfie (that is a canadian from Newfoundland) Good luck. Personaly I would rather have to play a part of the avi three times to get what the presenter is saying if they are the best at what they do. And so far I'm with Chris, I don't have a problem with any of thier voices.

Chris Thomas
12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Accents are like an assault course, once you have been over the course once, the second time is so much easier. The more accents you listent too the broader your "ear" becomes and you can pretty much understand anyone. In London pretty much everyone is a "foreigner" and at the large CG Studios even more so, thats just the way it is and I think its pretty cool (its good to mix things up). But sure, if I got in touch with a guy and I just could not understand a word he's saying I'd have to decline. I've not hit that point to date.

Yeah, Dominics DVD is looking pretty cool. He has a nice workflow going on there and its all well explained. I've pretty much completed the editing on it and I then have the box arwork and menu's etc to sort out on it. I'm aiming for releasing it on Wednesday or Thursday of this week hopefully. Once its out the door I'll get back onto my UVW Unwrap Fundamantals DVD.

Cheers

serge animation
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Paul, when is your facial rigging dvd coming out?

Fede
12-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Hey Chris,

just wondering how the animation DVDs are coming along?

thanx

PEN
12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Well I'm currently recording them so I hope not to long. I have the first three Chapters complete and I'm just setting up more content for the next few. Within a month is what I'm shooting for.

dominicqwek
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
If it matters at all, I do make it a point to do my best at pronounciation. Most Singaporeans grow up having to speak and write 2 languages (english and chinese for my case), of course that isn't an excuse at all. Nonetheless, I make sure that my pronounciation is as clear as possible. As for the accent part, I can't do much about that, I AM asian and raised in singapore after all. :)

Looking forward to your facial rigging DVD Paul. Great stuff so far. :thumbsup:

Chris Thomas
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Anyway, moving on......

Good news, the DVD is pretty much complete, and will be available for purchase from tommorow (GMT time). Its a pretty cool DVD, I think a lot of people are going to gain some very useful workflows and tips from it. Good work Dom ;)

Cheers

Reepoman
12-07-2005, 01:29 PM
If it matters at all, I do make it a point to do my best at pronounciation. Most Singaporeans grow up having to speak and write 2 languages (english and chinese for my case), of course that isn't an excuse at all. Nonetheless, I make sure that my pronounciation is as clear as possible. As for the accent part, I can't do much about that, I AM asian and raised in singapore after all. :)

Looking forward to your facial rigging DVD Paul. Great stuff so far. :thumbsup:

Hey Dom,

I didn't mean to offend you mate. My post came off a bit ignorant :shrug:
My Apologies, I also speak 2 langauges hebrew/english and I get knocked on my hebrew accent but I understand why.
My hebrew will never be perfect, but if I was to make a DVD for Israelis I bet I'd get flack for it :D.
As I said in my other post it's still a great product! So well done bro! :applause:

dominicqwek
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Hey Dom,

I didn't mean to offend you mate. My post came off a bit ignorant :shrug:

No offense taken dude. I just wanted to say that I am giving my best and I do make a conscious effort to speak as clearly as possible, I'm sure you can expect the same from the rest of the instructors as well. Chris drills us day and night to ensure quality in these dvds. :)

Chris Thomas
12-08-2005, 11:08 AM
CG Academy Releases New Advanced UV Unwrapping DVD by Dominic Qwek

Wer'e very proud to announce the second DVD in our Texturing series has been released. This Advanced title looks at unwrapping a complex organic character model using the techniques prevalent in 3dsmax 7.0 and lower in its opening 9 chapters and in the final four chapters delves into the new tools introduced in 3dsmax 8.0.

The tutorial shows all of the steps necassary to unwrap a complete character, how to organise your texture space, symmetry issues, how to blend you texture seams, Pelt Tool usage and much more. Another monster DVD in terms of duration at over 5 hours in length (obviously UV Unwrapping is a pretty complex topic...). For more info, read here...

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/top...advanced_01.php (http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_advanced_01/dvds_texturing_advanced_01.php)

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_advanced_01/DVD_Boxshots_AT_01.jpg (http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_texturing/dvds_texturing_advanced_01/dvds_texturing_advanced_01.php)

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 11:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.