PDA

View Full Version : Uwe Boll: Money for Nothing (Uwe Boll == Genius?!?)

mummey
11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
>>Link<< (http://www.cinemablend.com/feature.php?id=209)

Hollywood often complains about box office slumps. They blame piracy, they blame DVD (http://www.cinemablend.com/feature.php?id=209#) sales, they blame anyone and anything but themselves. You see Hollywood’s a bit like North Korea, if they ever admitted that the regime they run was flawed and oppressive the people at the top of the tower would come crashing down. So, like any good regime, they choose to blame their failures on the peasants for either not submitting a big enough offering or stealing from the state. The savvier public, however, blame an endless onslaught of mediocre, hollow projects that are touted as remakes, sequels, prequels, re-imaginings, reinventions or video game adaptations. To me that’s just a whole lot of different ways for marketing people to say “lazy recycled crap” but I digress.

But ask yourself this; what if you discovered a miraculous way to make a profit from making these bad movies (http://www.cinemablend.com/feature.php?id=209#)? An ingenious way to guarantee that if your movie (http://www.cinemablend.com/feature.php?id=209#) flops, you’ll actually make money. Wouldn’t a box office slump be the perfect climate for you; slipping your bad movies into a world where blockbusters are failing weekly? If it flops, the studios will blame the ticket buyers for not buying or the “illegal” downloaders for stealing instead of you for intentionally sucking. Meanwhile, you sit back safe and secure in the knowledge that while your project drops out of the 300 theatres it was showing in after 2 weeks, it is actually making you a mint. Sound unlikely?

Not as unlikely as you’d think... especially if you’re name is Uwe Boll.

PhilWesson
11-29-2005, 03:04 PM
sounds and awful lot like The Producers to me.

antweiler
11-29-2005, 03:18 PM
i always asked myself for what i pay taxes :argh:

malducin
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Uwe Boll == Genius?!?

Never thought I would see this in the same sentence.

He is not a genius, better word would be oportunistic. He is using that tax code to be profitable, but the world of low budget fare that turns out to be profitable (even without advantageous conditions) is certainly a lot older.

storyForge
11-29-2005, 04:12 PM
its springtime for hitler... and germany...

winter... for poland and france...

antweiler
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
its springtime for hitler...

i have to watch this movie :D

Boone
11-29-2005, 08:09 PM
I do wish people would stop barking about this chap.

My only introduction to "Oooey Boll" was Alone In The Dark, but despite being a...very dull movie, I wouldn't say it was any more objectionable than other straight-to-video stuff out there.

What it really boils down to is that Uwe Boll is sitting in the Director's Chair and making money - people are simply jealous. If he has the tax system by the short'n'curlys - good for him. Face it - if you were in his position( actually sitting in the Director's chair ) you wouldn't have any gripes whilst counting out your notes'n'cheques. You'd be laughing your ass off!

If you're all going to cry over him taking advantage of the law - why call him "evil" if its legal? Fix the law and you fix Uwe Boll. Simple. :wip:

leigh
11-29-2005, 08:52 PM
sounds and awful lot like The Producers to me.

Haha I was going to reply and say exactly the same thing :D Spriiiingtiiiime forrrr Hitlerrrr....

Spater
11-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Don't be stupid, be a smarty,
come and join the Nazi party.
:D

Smedro
11-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Fix the law and you fix Uwe Boll. Simple.

They did it a few days ago.

JDex
11-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Spade or neuter your hack directors.

Fix Uwe!

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/features/uwe2.jpg

grafikimon
11-29-2005, 10:36 PM
The proof to this will be the tax door slamming shut and suddenly the quality of his movies jump up as he tries to make money.

Unless this happens I'll continue to asume he just sucks

JDex
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM
http://www.jigglefish.com/posts/deal.gif

mummey
11-30-2005, 02:28 AM
They did it a few days ago.

Got any details?

animateddave
11-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Theres nothing wrong with Uwe, hes just ahead of his time.

thedaemon
11-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Theres nothing wrong with Uwe, hes just ahead of his time.

Did you even watch House of the Dead?!?!?!

Smedro
11-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Got any details?

On Nov 24 there was a press release (http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/cln_02/nn_3792/DE/Aktuelles/Pressemitteilungen/2005/2005241105__PM128.html) of the Federal Ministry of Finance, but it's only in German.

Lloyd's List (http://www.ibcoz.com.au/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=LloydsList/Home&element=LloydsList/content/dynamic/generic/allHeadlines&piId=1132659958918) had a head line 'Germany's KG funds finally lose their tax breaks'. For this link you have to register. Thats why I've only read the head line. To be honest, I don't care much about what Boll does. I just don't watch his movies.:shrug:

aaron111
11-30-2005, 03:57 AM
N/M... lag and too much clicking, i guess...

aaron111
11-30-2005, 03:57 AM
N/M... lag and too much clicking, i guess...

aaron111
11-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Holy crap. I always wondered how this man continued to have a career - now it all makes sense. My only question is how the hell he got Ben Kingsley to star in in Bloodrayne (along side the likes of Meatloaf?!?)

mt_mutombo
11-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Holy crap. I always wondered how this man continued to have a career - now it all makes sense. My only question is how the hell he got Ben Kingsley to star in in Bloodrayne (along side the likes of Meatloaf?!?)

Who cares how he got Ben Kingsley, they should confiscate his Oscar just for appearing in Bloodrayne.

Breinmeester
11-30-2005, 06:50 AM
This is a load of horse dump. The only thing the tax deduction system does to Mr. Boll personally is garrantee him he get's a paycheck. If it was his own money on the line he would get paid only after the movie makes a profit. Now it's financed by funds of individual Germans who can deduct their investment from tax they otherwise would have to pay. So they don't pay tax, but they pay Boll. Either way, they won't see that money back, because his films don't make any profit. The fact that the fundings are deductable means for Boll that he doesn't go bankrupt when his movies flop, but by all means it doesn't mean he makes money from films that flop. In the end Mr. Boll would make far more money when one of his films becomes a hit. The tax thing just keeps on giving him another chance.

mlanser
11-30-2005, 09:11 AM

hahaha! hit the bull's eye

slaughters
11-30-2005, 11:54 AM
...My only introduction to "Oooey Boll" was Alone In The Dark...Well, enjoy this clip from BloodRayne then: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/bloodrayne/trailer/ (Not only with Ben Kingsly, but co-starring Billy Zane and Meatloaf!)

Here is a link to the Dungeon Seige movie trailer as well : http://www.fantasticfilmsinternational.com/films/king.mov

The rest of his movies you can find here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/ (Yes, he is the director chosen to make a movie based on the game "Far Cry")

percydaman
11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I do wish people would stop barking about this chap.

My only introduction to "Oooey Boll" was Alone In The Dark, but despite being a...very dull movie, I wouldn't say it was any more objectionable than other straight-to-video stuff out there.

What it really boils down to is that Uwe Boll is sitting in the Director's Chair and making money - people are simply jealous. If he has the tax system by the short'n'curlys - good for him. Face it - if you were in his position( actually sitting in the Director's chair ) you wouldn't have any gripes whilst counting out your notes'n'cheques. You'd be laughing your ass off!

If you're all going to cry over him taking advantage of the law - why call him "evil" if its legal? Fix the law and you fix Uwe Boll. Simple. :wip:

wow, me jealous of Uwe Boll? Thats as absurd as me saying your defending Uwe cause you he's paying you to........

Uwe Boll, is the laughingstock of everybody but maybe his investors. Think about that. So what if he's making a little bit of money, it wont last. Nobody really likes his movies. He's really only able to get B list actors, and those A listers, that were well on their way to be B listers. Soon, an actor that acts in his movie will probably feel the same shame as an established actress who is forced to act in a T&A flick. So I predict he wont be able to continue to get good stars to act in his flicks.

If he wants respect from anybody, she should try making a truly creative independant flick on small budgets. Oh, but wait, he's never shown anybody hes CAPABLE of that.

mummey
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I would just like to point out at this time that Boll DIDN'T make Doom, it just appears he did. ;)

RangerLee
11-30-2005, 01:13 PM
OMG this guys going to be doing Far cry..i just dont get it...why do these games companies give over their product to such a hack. i could understand if it was failed games but far cry did good business and is a good game.

someone needs to stop this madness..and soon

animateddave
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Did you even watch House of the Dead?!?!?!

Ofcourse, a masterpiece doesn't come by that often.

Grooveholmes
11-30-2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/features/uwe2.jpg

So he makes shitty movies and he has green teeth.

Grooveholmes
11-30-2005, 02:49 PM
And you guys are going to love this.

For one of his next projects he's eyeing making the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Snake Plisken needs to whack this douche bag.

Emmanuel
11-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Well, tomorrow I will be there when there is a public event here in Saarbrücken where he's gonna speak about the topic of turning games into movies, how lucky am I :)
But as a matter of fact, Alone in the dark had a budget of about 30 millions including
marketing and only earned about 7 millions worldwide in theaters, how can that be called "profit" in the first place ?

kraal
11-30-2005, 02:56 PM
does anyone realize that a tax deduction isnt free money??? .... if you donate your car for a tax deduction you dont get the amount of money in a check you just dont have to pay the tax or a percentage is subtracted from the amount you owe.

slaughters
11-30-2005, 03:25 PM
does anyone realize that a tax deduction isnt free money??? .... if you donate your car for a tax deduction you dont get the amount of money in a check you just dont have to pay the tax or a percentage is subtracted from the amount you owe.Which as a corporation, or wealthy individual, can cause you to slip into a lower tax bracket and therefore require you to pay less money to the government.

Just going from a 75% income tax bracket to a 50% income tax bracket can cause you to have a heck of a lot more money at the end of the year. Especially for a mutli-million/billion dollar corporation.

berice
11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Everytime I hear about this no talent ass clown I think of this...Thanks Penny Arcade!

http://www.brianerice.com/20021218h.gif

Boone
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Re: Slaughters.

Hmmm...by the hand of Fate( or is it fortune? :D ) I am unable to view those trailers... :shrug:

Re: Percydaman.

ME? JEALOUS? DON'T BE REDICULOUS! :blush:

You kill me! :D

For him to be holding his thumb up with a big-greeny-grin he must be rolling in it! :scream:

Emmanuel
12-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Okay, here we go:
yesterday I was visiting a public talk show where Dr. Boll was amongst others invited to speak about the marriage between games and movies.
Personally, I think he is a real nice guy.
He is 100% aware of all the feelings expressed on the internet about his work and person.
He doesn't care, he is just in there for the profit.
He has several funds running (called Boll1, Boll2 etc) where people can invest.
Most of his money comes now together in the US, the movies are primarly targetted at the non-gaming audience, and he knows that the die hard fans dont like his movie adaptions but yet rent them at least on DVD, along with which he sold the movies like Alone in the dark to over 100 counries (including TV rights and stuff like that).
So at the end, the theatralical release of AITD was the icing on the cake, not the main purpose, as he said the movie was successful enough on DVD.
The brands alone guarantee a certain level of attention by the public, he said since it was known that he does Dungeon Siege, the website got over 1,000,000 hits.
Thats about it.He also said that the end for companies like Blockbuster is near, as soon as movies can be donwloaded for a fee, for everyone.
He also sid, that the new laws in germany dealing with volatile investment funds which are mostly for doctors, lawyers, managers who want to hide their money from the IRS will not only hurt the movie industry but especially the effects industry, since movies like AITD, Bloodrayne or Dungeon Siege are effects heavy and wouldn't be possible anymore in germany.
So at the end of the day, he is going to make FarCry, Hunter etc, all for the money.
In my opinion, he makes trash films, B-movies, but not with the heart but purse in mind.
You can think what You will, he seems to be successful, so why should he care if people love or hate him...

slaughters
12-04-2005, 10:26 PM
...He doesn't care, he is just in there for the profit...Well, really that is true from his point of view - he does make a profit. The people who loose (besides the audience) are the franchise holders.

The corporate entity which held the franchise rights for "Alone in the Dark" just watched the chance of future profits from movies and merchandising fade into obilvion ... alone in the dark.

parallax
12-05-2005, 08:32 AM
And you guys are going to love this.

For one of his next projects he's eyeing making the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Snake Plisken needs to whack this douche bag.

Wow, don't mistake Solid Snake for Snake Plisken :) That's the kind of sacrilege that makes Uwe such a great Director-slash-parttime usher.

Emmanuel
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, really that is true from his point of view - he does make a profit. The people who loose (besides the audience) are the franchise holders.

The corporate entity which held the franchise rights for "Alone in the Dark" just watched the chance of future profits from movies and merchandising fade into obilvion ... alone in the dark.

Dr Boll said that Atari was producing a sequel to AOTD which was using the theme of the movie, but the studio responsible for that game was closed and the game cancelled, although roght now, a 5th part of the series is in production, so at the end, they probably didnt loose.
The got money for the license, and I guess people who loved the games but didn't like the movie don't suddenly dislike the games as well, its rather "naaaa, the games are way better than the movie", so everybody wins :)

scrimski
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Got any details?

Not sure, if it is the right one, sounds like chinese to me, even in german.

http://merlin.obs.coe.int/iris/2003/8/article26.en.html

This is the file number, if needed for futher recherches

Az.: IV A 6 - S 2241 - 81/03

-Vormav-
12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
The got money for the license, and I guess people who loved the games but didn't like the movie don't suddenly dislike the games as well, its rather "naaaa, the games are way better than the movie", so everybody wins :)

Except for the people that put out money to see it.
AITD was a letdown even for bad movie night!
*sigh*

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.