PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise with shadows

theabyss
11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
HI There!
I'm feeling a bit shy posting here with all you talented guys.
I have a question about shadows:

Do you guys have a special hint how to pick the shadow color for each
color you choose?
Sometimes i feel like the shadow-colors i pick doesnt seam to look real.
Is there a special trick, how much you go lower in the color-palette?

Here are 2 pics i did where i just guessed how the shadows have
to look like...

http://people.freenet.de/the_unreal_abyss/Image39_c_bw.jpg

http://people.freenet.de/the_unreal_abyss/Image39_c.jpg

Greetz

TheAbyss

Mu
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I do have the same problem, but if your software is capable of layers and in the layer's blending modes offers "color", I have an instant remedy:

- do black and white color studies, i.e. only greyscale.
- just figure out the shades/highlights with this
- create a new layer
- set layer mode to color
- paint with desired skin tone

the values of your greyscale pic are preserved - that means your skin tone comes down in the right value automatically.

don't have the links at hand, but search for nebezial's tutorial for this color mode thing and rebeccak's shading tutorial for shading with three shades of grey (tutorial sticky in art theories' forum).

Hope it helps

P.S.: your shades don't look bad, though...

mrtristan
11-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Andrew Loomis, in his "Creative Illustration" book, has a great discussion of shading in his "Tone" section. (There's a whole section on "Tone", definitely worth a read. You can get it for free from www.saveloomis.org.) A very interesting idea is that the differences between highlight, midtone, and shadow can change depending upon the intensity of the light. Ergo, a direct light will have big contrasts between those three values, whereas a hazy light, like an overcast day, will have just a little contrast between highlight and shadow. The "trick" is making sure you understand and model the light source consistently.

Color follows from the values of the things you pick out. Most artists seem to follow the idea that highlight and shadow are inversely related as far as hot/cold are concerned. Ergo, hot highlights mean cool shadows, and cool highlights infer hot shadows.

Most people, however, seem to just mess up the modeling of the light source rather than the color.

All of what Mr. Mu said was great; I'm just adding a few more ideas onto the fire. Modelling is a very complicated thing.

theabyss
12-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Thank you guys for these hints!
I really loved the Tutorial of Nebezial!
Saved all the pics and started drawing...it really helped
me define important parts of the human face for example.

Yeah, Loomis is always a good source...i totally forgot that
i already have a book from him....duh
Found it @ a tagsale.

Thanx again guys.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2005, 02:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.