PDA

View Full Version : Mentor program?

jud
11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2861805#post2861805

This idea came from the above thread.

I think it might be a good idea to setup a "mentor program" where people starting out in 3d or whatever CG related industry could be setup with a mentor, and this mentor could be any user who works in the relevant field that could help educate those with a true commitment to pursuing the field in which they want to be educated in, this could be as simple as setting up a new forum where the person starting out and the mentor are given their own thread to exchange info and to go at it, at their own pace and in their own time.
I realise that it would take some commitment, but I see alot of posts here where people are always giving advice and I dont see how that is any different than being a mentor for someone.
Anyway I just think that this would be well worth looking into as CGtalk is THE hub of digital art, knowledge and information and constantly promotes the education of anyone, anywhere, any age, gender and profession.

So give your vote, tell us what you think:shrug:

Prs-Phil
11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I think it is a good (as in morally good) idea but something very hard to persue.

First both need to speak the same language but that should not pose the main problem.
The main problem I see is that it just seriously takes to much time and commitment to do something like that just for one person.
It has to work both ways AND how good is your eye to judge from the beginning how much potential one has and who "gets" him and where he/she wants to go.

I think the way it has always worked is a more solid and personal way. PM'ing, ICQ MSN etc. ... these things build over the time. This networking also trains your communication skills wich never hurts and you get a broad base of people you can grow with and not just 1 main mentor (who is also probably far away from perfect ;) ).

So I personally think it would not work ... you hairy monster ;)

jud
01-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Who you callin a "hairy monster" you "four eyed, think your cool, handsome looking piece of unused meat"

And don't forget to keep on voting.....y'all.....yeeeee hawwwww.

This party political broadcast was brought to you by jud industries and affilates, subject to terms and conditions, see local politican for details.

I hear what you are saying about gettin personal with IMC etc., but all that will become available with the posted thread, the reason for posting the thread is to teach, and who knows it might help out someone in a similar situation just by reading the posts.
This would be bound by no contracts etc on behalf of the people involved.

Cerenkovman
01-04-2007, 03:41 AM
I agree that this would be a great idea. I would add that with the online portfolios and a little comunication it would be a fairly easy thing to size someone up for the mentoring. As a little bonus I think it might work in favor of the mentor in that they should be able to use it as something for their resume. Just a thought.

jud
01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Thought this was dead and buried and placed in the ancient archives.

I still think it would be a good idea, I know stahlberg does alot of work with people:thumbsup: by reworking peoples paintings and this helps that person learn what mistakes they made and shows a better way to add light and shadow or fix a pose etc....and I think this is really great of him to do that, could u imaging a forum where people are constantly helping people improve by showing them better ways of doing things and the amount of satisfaction the mentor would get from seeing a person they have helped develop and progress, especially were the person is finding it hard to paint a certain thing or model a head or getting the light just right.

I just think it should be a casual forum that would require a bit of commitment from the mentor and also a hell of a lot of commitment from the person or persons looking for help.
I also understand that this would require the mentors to set aside some time in the day to help that person, but hey! being active most of the time and using that grey sponge in your head is a good thing, and the mentor might learn something themselves along the way.

I also think that the people looking for help could start a thread giving details of their experience and some samples of work and what they need help in, then a mentor could read the post(anonamously) and if they feel they can help and can spare the time and commitment then they can post a reply or if they are too busy then they dont have to reply if they dont want to.
This way mentors could easily "size someone up for the mentoring" ref: Cerenkovman. without having to commit to anything, if they feel that the person is beyond help...lol.. then all they have to do is not post a reply, no harm, no foul.

HostileNinja
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
I think it would be great. If times woked out, it would be very helpful to the new guys. Then perhaps the student will become the teacher.

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2007, 12:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.