PDA

View Full Version : How important is CGtalk in landing a job?

Elucid Concepts
11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I was flipping through Feng Zhu's interview, and I remember the man saying: "Post your images on CGtalk.com. If you get noticed, you'll land a job in a few days." Wow. I've been coming to CGtalk for awhile, but didn't know that it was that important in the CG world.
Can someone tell me if what Mr.Zhu said is true or not? I'm dead curious now.

Sagii
11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Um, well no... it isnt exactly true. If you post stuff here it doesn't mean you will get a job. I have been here for a year and no employeers are banging at my door. :wavey:

What Mr. Feng Zhu meant was that CGTALK as well as other art forums are a great place to get exposed. There are over 200,000 members here and many of them work for the industry. So if you are very talented and post great art pieces here you will get noticed... being noticed is a good thing because a possible employeer can spot you and say... "ahh nice stuff". If you post a lot, are helpful and have a great porfolio you will grab peoples attention.

Cgtalk as any other CG forum is just a place of exposure nothing more. You can get a job without it and you might get a job with it... It is still your artwork and your attitude that will land you a job. :thumbsup:

HellBoy
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I think cgtalk is noticed by the industry, if you think about it, people who work in the actual industry is onboard and the word could easily spread around and before you know it you could be contacted through this. judging on this forum, I think they know us... :rolleyes:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27

XLNT-3d
11-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I would think it would be better for freelance work. I know I have contracted a few members based on the work I have seen.

Elucid Concepts
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Aite, thanks for clearing that up. I guess it all boils down to exposure and self-advertisement in the end. So make a good portfolio, post on alot of forums, and send it out to alot of people. That or be ambitious and start your own studio!

Bonedaddy
11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
The ratio of industry to non-industry on here is actually fairly low. There are a good number of industry folks, who are generally well-voiced and represented, but 9 out of 10 guys at my work have never heard of cgtalk. For many of them, the job ends when they walk out the door, and begins again when they walk back in.

I agree that it's probably better for freelancing. I think only a handful of folks from the big studios read these forums. But hey, I could be wrong.

EDIT: This may be different for games. My experience is with film effects houses. The only houses I know that are well-represented on here are CafeFX, Hydraulx, and Blur, although Blur... isn't really an effects house, per se. There's also scattered folks from Sony, Dreamworks, and Disney, but those places are so big, we're talking like 1% of the population. Then there's the lone oddballs like me, who are the only guys at their entire studio who check this site.

ecco
11-28-2005, 05:37 PM
I agree it can work, yes. I've been contacted by more than one party concerning work offers as a result of work I've posted here.

I'm the only person who checks these boards in the studio where I work- as I'm the only one who speaks English. As far as I know anyway.

Digit
11-28-2005, 06:03 PM
You dont neccassarily have to have someone contact you to get a job. I once saw a rare post from someone whose work I admired and immediately sent him a link to my own work as I genuinely believed I would fit into that company. He got straight back to me and it all worked out fine.

That was in August and I start my new job in January, half way around the the world!

(Im not telling you who though! Until Im actually at my new desk Im scared Im going to jinx it)

Oh and the other reason CG talk helped me get a job is cos Ive learnt so much from it which is why Im happy to be a paid member.

Digit
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
The ratio of industry to non-industry on here is actually fairly low.

Interesting - would be good to get an accurate figure on how the users of CG talk would break down into amateurs, students, proffesionals etc

Elucid Concepts
11-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Wow Anais, half-way around the world just cuz of a post? That has got to be the craziest thing I heard in awhile. Good luck landing that job.
BTW, why get a membership at CGtalk? I seem to be able to do everything fine without a membership.

Digit
11-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks Elucid!

Yeah, I think the membership gets you some benefits but I dont even know what they are. I pay because it supports the running of the website and I think this is a GREAT website! Wow, the body topology thread in the Maya forum has taught me more than anything or anybody else ever!

Signal2Noise
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I haven't been offered a job because of my CGSociety (p.k.a. CGTalk) membership. I think it's because the potential employer looks and says "This guy has got over 3000 freakin' posts! He spends too much time on the internet and obviously can't get any work done. Pass!".

And they probably think I can be a bit of a smartass too. :D

Chris Bacon
11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
cgtalk is a good way of meeting people from the industry...that about it.....if you land a job by meeting a employer then well done...but its not what cgtalk is about....

shakii
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Big studio ppl do read the forums, they might not have time to make replies, but in order to keep themselves sharp, they do read them -- at least the works that make the front page, and the ones with 4+ stars.

XLNT-3d
11-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I did the membership to have a small tax deductible item to help the website. However, I did buy a BOXX and got my discount because of my membership. It paid for the membership in savings.

Elucid Concepts
11-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey shakii. How can you be so sure about that? Obviously it helps to have your work on front page, but bout ppl from the industry coming to see the pictures, just to keep themselves sharp. Hmm...

kyphur
11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
One of my friends got a job as a facial animation lead at Midway Games from posting on this site. Granted he did post that he was looking for work in the "looking for work" section.

Kyph

gunslingerblack
11-28-2005, 08:16 PM
maybe not posting ur work on cgtalk as much as getting a front page plug.

if you can get a front page plug, landing a job is just about in ur grasp.

there was an instance of someone i know, that had a front page plug, resulting in 10,000 hits to his webpage and a job offer from lucasarts

so it does happen. u just gotta be good lol

Leonard
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi,

I don't think that 'important' is the right word to use here because it's not imperative that you post on CGTalk in order to get a job. However, it does help you get noticed -- especially if your work is featured, you get an interview on the CGSociety or your work is published in EXPOSÉ.

I've been in the position to see many many artists have opportunities open up for them through this website. There are many who I can name off that have found employment with a large factor being their work being featured on CGSociety -- Leigh Van der Byl, Chris Costa (Antropus), Caroline Delen and countless more. I've received countless thank you emails, gifts, books, packages and presents from many artists whose careers have launched right here.

The bottom line is that you need talent. The CGSociety is just a conduit and channel to be seen by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. You can't rely on a website to get a job, but it sure helps you get that exposure.

I'm confident that every major studio in the world is on CGTalk. I've personally been in touch with the majority of them through press relations and the feedback is that their employees/artists are always on CGTalk. Most of the lurk because they're too busy with the day job, but they're here. More often than not, if your work gets noticed, you'll go a long way.

Cheers,

Leo

MikeRhone
11-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Hit the job boards, I have gotten my best opsitions. It is also the reason I am writing this email from Denmark instead of from my little room in Vancouver. ;)

Cgtalk isn't nessesary, but it is one hell of a great way to network.

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2005, 09:19 PM
I know for a fact that a lot of our challenge winners have been approached for work.

So yes, this forum DOES make a difference.
-R

EricLyman
11-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Then there's the lone oddballs like me, who are the only guys at their entire studio who check this site.

heh, yeah, I think that might be the same situation for me too! For the most part I get the impression that most industry people never come here. But then on the other hand, a guy who mentored me when I was in school told me that he pokes around this site every so often just to keep current on things, but never posts because he has no time. He's a senior artist at Sony. So it's hard to say for sure.

Kanga
11-29-2005, 01:14 AM
I'd say if you can create a hype then you would be well on the way. That's pretty difficult to do as the competition is fairly high. You should post your work on all the sites you can find tho. Make sure you have an online portfolio also, oh will check now.

Ok so I see you don't have one linked in your profile info. Do that and keep updating it. Also put a link under your siggy!

I wish you gods speed.

FloydBishop
11-29-2005, 01:55 AM
The flip side of this conversation is be careful how you act here! The industry is super small, really. Trolling, acting like an idiot, or just overall "not niceness" is seen here by more people than you know.

FloydBishop
11-29-2005, 01:58 AM
I just wanted to add that I work with (and give projects to) many people I've met through the forums. I've also landed jobs through the site, and helped others I know from the forum land work when I could.

If you're not already a CGSociety member, maybe now is a good time to think about what this forum does for so many and subscribe.

Kanga
11-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I forgot to add,... just about the best part of this site (aside from shooting the breeze) is it is so noisy, that means if you have a tech problem this is about the best place there is. To get work you have to make great work and just about every aspect of 2d and 3d is present here,... also it's a place to watch for trends.

Elucid Concepts
11-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Wow. So much feedback from so many people. Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I got a pretty good understanding now.

Nice tip Kanga. I'll definetly start working on that portfolio, but sigh, it is tough to find time between University, military and my artistic life.

@Leonard: "I'm confident that every major studio in the world is on CGTalk."

:eek: I'm speechless.

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2005, 03:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.