PDA

View Full Version : Hotkey for brush size not working?

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi, I can't get the photoshop hotkey for brush size to work. I thought it was [ to increase and ] to decrease.

Thanks

Velk
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
You are correct about the hotkey. A little more info might be nice before I start spouting things to fix it.

What version of PS are you running?
What if anything is that key doing?
What OS are you running on?

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi, I'm using photoshop 7.0, the keys don't do anything that i'm aware of, I use windows 2000 sp4

DanVL
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Yea I was in the same situation cause I couldn't use the [ or ] withtout having to press ctrl + alt, so the best solution is to change the hotkeys for the increase/decrease brush size in edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

I'm not sure you can change shoftcuts with PS7 though, think this option was available on CS...

Velk
11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
PS 7 you can't assign personalized keys, you could try (Save it first to your desktop) deleting your preference file (WARNING This will get rid of all your preferences including color settings, scratch disks, etc...) Sometimes the pref file gets screwed up and deleting it will fix the issue.

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I can't find that option under edit, I guess I can't change it, thanks anyway

Velk
11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Out of curiousity, your CapsLock isn't on by any chance is it?

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
PS 7 you can't assign personalized keys, you could try (Save it first to your desktop) deleting your preference file (WARNING This will get rid of all your preferences including color settings, scratch disks, etc...) Sometimes the pref file gets screwed up and deleting it will fix the issue.

I'm just starting to learn photoshop, what do you mean by "save it first"? I don't get what you're trying to say.. sorry

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
double post

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Out of curiousity, your CapsLock isn't on by any chance is it?

That isn't it, the CapsLock is assigned to a tool

Velk
11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
If you delete your prefernece file you will want to keep a copy of it on your desktop just in case it doesn't fix your issue. It will save a lot of reconfiguration time.

Make sure PS is closed.
Drag the Pref file on to your desktop.
Start PS.

Velk
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh, and if you don't know where your pref file is, look in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings\

If you can't see Application Data go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options.... Under the View tab select Show hidden files and folders then click OK.

You are looking for a File called Adobe Photoshop 7 Prefs

Brick-top
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi, I've done what you told me to, but I don't understand what should have happend, I deleted the file after copying it to the desktop, I started ps and I saw a menu asking me about color settings, I just used default. I'm sorry to ask what may seem to have an easy answer but what should I have done?

BlueFlare
11-28-2005, 06:34 PM
On some occasions my [ and ] doesn't work either. I can't remember how I solved it last time, but I think it was by clicking on the top bar of the document window.

Velk
11-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi, I've done what you told me to, but I don't understand what should have happend, I deleted the file after copying it to the desktop, I started ps and I saw a menu asking me about color settings, I just used default. I'm sorry to ask what may seem to have an easy answer but what should I have done?
Deleting the Pref file gets rid of all your preferences, thats why you kept a copy on your desktop. PS can sometimes get a corrupted pref file that screws all kinds of things up. I'm guessing thats what happened to you.

Brick-top
11-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Deleting the Pref file gets rid of all your preferences, thats why you kept a copy on your desktop. PS can sometimes get a corrupted pref file that screws all kinds of things up. I'm guessing thats what happened to you.

Unfortunately it seems that that wasn't the case, those hotkeys still don't work for me

Thanks

Brick-top
11-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Apparentely this is some kind of a language vs keyboard layout issue, I'm sorry if I should have said that I am portuguese but I installed PS in English, I'm just used to use all my software in english. As soon as I change the keyboard layout to match the language in which I installed PS the hotkeys start working in their respective location. I don't think I'm going to install photoshop in portuguese, it would be more usefull to have photoshop respond to the hotkey calls according to keyboard layout? to me at least it would.

Thanks

Velk
11-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Ahha that makes sense now. If you want you can drag that pref file from your desktop back into the folder where it first was—make sure PS is closed first. That will restore your old preferences. Good luck!

Brick-top
11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your help :)

bumskee
11-30-2005, 01:20 AM
yeah, do you have another language installed? that often happens, it's usually either language, you are not in english or cap lock.

foxco
11-30-2005, 06:59 AM
i was just abotu to start a thread on hotkeys being messed up constantly for me

yes [ ] dont work, but also ... ctrl + Backspace and alt + backspace dont do their proper functions. alt + backspace Clears selection now and ctrl +bksp now gives me a popup error saying " COuld not fill because the history state does not contain a corrisponding layer!"

this is a common problem for me.. but seams to randomly happen. Restarting ps fixes the prob but often comes back while working.

im using Photoshop CS 2 and windows XP sp2. this happend on CS1 and 7 tho not near as much

hope Someone can help. i know a few friends that also have the same problem as wel

Cheers

oh ya and i have no language packs or .. well almost anything i formated less than a weekago problem happens before and after

-Fox

Brick-top
11-30-2005, 09:26 AM
yeah, do you have another language installed? that often happens, it's usually either language, you are not in english or cap lock.

Hi, yes I have english and Portuguese installed. Do you mean that if I uninstall the English language PS will start to recognize my portuguese keyboard layout?

Brick-top
11-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Can anyone tell me why what I would imagine to be such an high end software don't allow the user to change some shortcut keys? It seems puzzling to me, what am I not seeing?

Velk
11-30-2005, 01:55 PM
As of Photoshop CS you can change shortcut keys.

-NG-
12-08-2005, 11:42 PM
try to hit shift + ctrl at the same time, it might be like msn when you hit those your keys will be different and you get funky symbols like this ±' instead of :).

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.