PDA

View Full Version : Sony PlayStation 3 to Get Parental Controls

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Quote:
"Sony will place the controls on its forthcoming machine, PlayStation 3, according to the ESA. Users of PlayStation 2 could limit access, but only to movies, not games.
The company wasn't immediately prepared to comment.
Microsoft Corp. had already placed parental controls in its new Xbox 360, which debuted last week. The machine lets users restrict access to video games and DVDs that carry certain ratings, such as "T" for "teen" or "M" for "mature." It also offers parental controls on the company's Xbox Live online gaming service, limiting who their children can interact with.
"
<<LINK>> (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051128/ap_on_hi_te/video_games_parental_control;_ylt=Ap6CkjdNfSoFCB0qmSvrMras0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

L.Rawlins
11-28-2005, 08:53 AM
That's a brilliant idea. I wasn't aware that the X360 already had this capability. Although I doubt typical parents will be knowledgeable of this feature when they buy either machine... so perhaps 'kid settings' should be the store bought default. :shrug:

I hope that's the case, otherwise this great parental tool might well go entirely unnoticed.

Icarus
11-28-2005, 08:56 AM
sounds good, aslong as it doesnt become intrusive to the point where you have to manually change the levels when you put a new game in or do something else with the machine,

mlanser
11-28-2005, 09:49 AM
thats way better than having violent games completely forbidden, that nobody can get them (thinking of that thread about german politicians that want to ban killer games completely). the main aspect is to not make those games available for kids, that aren't old enough for this. and the best point to start from, is giving these controls to the parents.

so i think this is a good way!:thumbsup:

animateddave
11-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Although I doubt typical parents will be knowledgeable of this feature when they buy either machine... so perhaps 'kid settings' should be the store bought default. :shrug:

Thats what I'm thinking too. If parents don't pay attention to the game ratings then why would they bother to figure out this feature?

brian
11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Thats what I'm thinking too. If parents don't pay attention to the game ratings then why would they bother to figure out this feature?

It might not be entirley the parents fault. My parents dont allow me to buy M games. But, around Febuary, I told my parents I was going to get a network cable from best buy. They said OK, but I also picked up a copy of Half-Life 2, which is rated M, and I'm 14. And there are also other ways, like borrowing from a friend for example.

So, this feature with the new consoles is useful for parents (good thing I only play PC games ;)).

-Brian

archerx
11-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Why won't people learn that its not the violent games and movies that make children "aggressive" i've been playing Doom since I was in the 3rd grade, watching R rated movies before I was 13 and etc, but my mother, aunts, uncle, cousins and etc taught me whats right and whats wrong! im not in any gangs, I don't kill people, im not aggressive (infact im very passive) and i don't go around causing "trouble"

So if the parents just take the time to teach their kids there shouldn't be any problems.

Trenox
11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
So if the parents just take the time to teach their kids there shouldn't be any problems.

sadly, alot of parents dont :shrug:

arvid
11-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Anyone been watching The Simpsons lately? :D

http://biphome.spray.se/arvid.b/hippunishments.jpg

bale
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
I think we should cut parents some slack too. My mom and dad worked two jobs for over twenty yrs to support three kids. I think the kids should take some responsibility too. There not as innocent and naive as everybody thinks

utchamp
11-29-2005, 09:45 PM
sadly, alot of parents dont :shrug:

Also, it is very sad that when a parent uses correction... ex. spanknig or grounding..... other people that don't have any idea what is going on butt in and try to file for child abuse. There is a fine line but that is just ridiculus

SpiralFace
11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
I whould'nt worry about the parrents knowing. I've actualy heard it on about 3 local news channels over the past month that Microsoft and Sony are both doing this before I even saw this thread. (They all said they have'nt heard anything from Nintendo at the time of the report.) So I whould'nt worry too much about them finding out as long as they watch the news.

I think this is a great thing for game companys simply becuase this is another tool put some of this responsibilaty into the parents hand. So the next time some dumb eleven year old kid dies becuase he tryed to imitate something from Grand Theft Auto, the first question could be (Although probably whould'nt be, ) "Did the parent bother to set the parental settings?" Instead of "Why do we allow games like this to be sold in stores?"

Finaly more ammo for the game developers to defend their artistic creativity and put more of the responsabilaty in the parents hands.

SpiralFace
11-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Anyone been watching The Simpsons lately? :D

http://biphome.spray.se/arvid.b/hippunishments.jpg

I saw that episode and I laughed my *** off at that part that you have the image from.

ThreeDeityMike
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I think parental controls are such a great idea. Parents really need to take a more active roll in what their kids play instead of wanting to ban 'M' rated games all together. I believe the median age of gamers is somewhere around 27 or 28. Naturally games are going to become more violent because adults don't want to play Spongebob games.

The parental controls are perfect. If retailers stop selling 'M' rated games to minors, and parents take advantage of the new parental controls, maybe... just maybe everyone can be happy!

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.