RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2005, 02:40 AM
http://www.nicktoonsnetwork.com/skyland_sneak/index.jhtml

Skyland site!

http://www.nicktoonsnetwork.com/shows/skyland/

-R

gunslingerblack
11-28-2005, 03:35 AM
watched the first ep, gonna watch the second one in a sec, just wanted to say, besides some typical nickelodeon stuff (kiddish in nature) and some overextended speeches, (assuming once again to get the point across to the young'uns) this is a cool show, the visual style is quite good and i recommend anyone taking a look at both eps even if they dont like the story.

inspiration is everywhere in this picture

Geta-Ve
11-28-2005, 04:49 AM
ugh bad voice acting.. I might have actually watched it if the voice acting wasn't so atrocious (spelling errors aside)

monsterboy
11-28-2005, 09:57 AM

inspiration is everywhere in this picture

Well, looks to me like the creators have beeing watching Laputa and Last Exile and a batch of other adventure anime and decided to do something 'like that'. The backgrounds look nice though.

thematt
11-28-2005, 10:47 AM
yes it was aiming in france too, saturday morning, I must admit that I'm very impressed by the quality they have manage to do.Let's not forget it's a Tv serie and it's usually pretty cheap because of budjet, this time lot's of effrot have been put to final imagery and i think it pays off.

Story and directing are very nice (i don't care actually if it's influence by anything alredy existing, I mean who is not?).
I must admit I enjoyed it very much only few detail bother me, but it's mostly due to the quality not being adapt to my Tv so there were some very poor things such as the mouth of characters that look very bad, because the toon shading as a line was so thin it was totally eaten and geting almost if not all invisible..too bad really . the rest is top notch..:thumbsup:

keep going guys this is great.

cheers

gunslingerblack
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
bad voice acting or not i believe this program shows the potential of where television can go.

it gives me hope for my ideas in the future.

Stahlberg
11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
The backgrounds look nice though.
They look fantastic! As does all the environments, ship design, clothing... those responsible for the art deserves an award. Top notch.
The basic plot also seems okay for what it's supposed to be, better than I expected (after that silly first segment). Characters, animation, rendering, all passable.

The dialogue is the one things that drags the rest down. Both the dialogue writing and the voice acting needs to jump a couple magnitudes in quality, urgently.

Slurry
11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
This looks very good. A nice change from the usual cartoons out there for kids. I always liked the action/adventure cartoons when I was a kid.
My only crit would be the facial animation. It would be good to see more expression and less eyebrow popping.
When paired with the super-smooth motion of MoCap, the faces look almost dead.

Congrats to those working on it though. I wish you great success.

Art :)

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I am very impressed on how great the mocap looks on the project.

-R

gginther
11-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, looks to me like the creators have beeing watching Laputa and Last Exile and a batch of other adventure anime and decided to do something 'like that'. The backgrounds look nice though.

Being a little derivative of Laputa & others is not necessarily a bad thing :)

I agree with the other comments, the dialog is a little stiff, but there is so much else that is very well done. They've got all the ingredients for a great show, looking forward to more

gunslingerblack
11-28-2005, 11:13 PM
yeah taking reference from some good animes is not a bad thing,

just as long as they dont rip them off completely

nendo
11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Here is a link to an Interview about Skyland, with Michel Roger , lead character modeler at Attitude Studio Luxembourg.(in french, sorry)

http://www.3d-station.com/pages/interviews/interview.php?id=151&page=1

laureato di arte
11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
yes this is good stuff i guess , backgrounds are nice , characters look good especially in the still images, I like the direction that nicktoons are taking, first avatar and now this. By the way for those of you who have not watched avatar yet you really need to it is amazing, and is one of the best anime out there, even though it isnt japanese, it was made by one of the directors of king of the hill and Family guy, but there is some serious emotional stuff involved... I am an avatar adict.

markdc
11-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Love the art - hate the writing. It's a kid's show though.

monsterboy
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Being a little derivative of Laputa & others is not necessarily a bad thing :)

No, but it lacks originality and charm that Laputa and others have. Even if Nick seem to be one of the few English speaking channels producing more anime-like toons outside of Japan, it does not make acceptable to just be 'derivative'.

However I'll accept that this show is aimed at American kids, most of which are not going to be particularly anime literate, so they'll be wowed by the borrowed visuals when more the jaded (like me) will just see too many similarities to Last Exile (especially) and others. The 'cocky hero' and 'girl with special powers' stereo-types are two of the oldest cliches in anime (and movies and literature) and just reeks (along with the shamefully trite 'evil dictator') of 'top-of-the-head' Hollywood thinking i.e. if you're old enough to shave, don't expect much from this except the eye-candy.

mv
11-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Props to the guys at Attitude, great work. Amazing quality for an animated series!

Lunatique
11-30-2005, 04:04 AM
The dialogue is the one things that drags the rest down. Both the dialogue writing and the voice acting needs to jump a couple magnitudes in quality, urgently.

Yeah, that seems to be what everyone agrees on. I don't understand why targetting a younger audience has to = bad dialogues and voice acting? I seriously doubt it's a budget issue. Using simpler language doesnt mean you have to make it stupid and irrelevant (the silly arrogant combat trash talking by the young cocky hero--they need to take a few lessons from shows like Evangelion) And as far as better voice acting goes, even actors in community theaters can do a better job. I think it's the dialogue recording director's fault entirely, because they are the ones that dictates what style the voice actors project into their characters.

The cellshading on the characters are a bit on the clunky side to me--they could've pulled back the cell-shading simplicity a little and given the characters a bit more detail. Not too crazy about the character designs either (including costumes). The backgrounds, ships, robots..etc are quite nice though. Overall, I thought it was well-done, although the influences are a bit too obvious.

Berserga
11-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Don't have time to watch the whole episode right now but what I've seen so far is impressive.

Good stuff:

interesting camera work
Pleasing character design
Nice backgrounds
Though mocapped (ick!) It doesn't bother me that much... Unlike say Appleseed. It may be that they just got really good/subtle performances
Pretty decent cel shading (at least nothing crappy like Recent Transformers series)

Bad:

Bad lip flap
Bad acting
Mocap is a bit jarring at times (Girl playing basketball... It's weird having such lifelike movement, and cel shading)
Enemy craft look like Imperial shuttles :) (OH SHIT! HERE COMES DARTH VADER!) :D

I definately plan to watch both eps when I have a moment tomorrow. Looks really promising :applause:

splintah
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
as an animator i am shocked how good the mocap is

on top of that i am shure it was on a very tight budget

the facials should have been done by hand though
they are the weakest part

love the artwork
i am really into post acopalyptic stuff

the writing and script is quite good but could be a little thighter though
on the other hand its just a tv series - look at the other scripts like some stargate episodes

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.