PDA

View Full Version : online portfolio

meheekano
11-27-2005, 10:27 PM
designing a web page, to put my resume. cause i need a frickin job.
tell me what ya think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meheekano/homepage-2.gif

storyForge
11-27-2005, 10:50 PM
make sure to think about where you'll be putting the content... thats important.

Vertrucio
11-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Careful the the color and text you've chosen.

The bright yellow on green is nice as a color element, but not so easy on the eyes with text.

The same goes for the font itself, you've chosen a font that's very difficult to read. This would be okay if you focused the website on your art and didn't have any large blocks of text to read, but you do have quite a bit of text. You should try and save that font for use as titles and headers of paragraphs, then use a more readable font for the body text.

Where's the link to your resume? People will look to your art, yes, but a resume laid out in proper style does help in getting a job, even for artists as it clearly lists your prior employment.

RO
11-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah, the type face you used is hard to read. Some simple tips on stuff like that is like so. Black type on white is the easier to read. Type that has serifs is the best to use in long phrases. The reason is that serif fonts have the little feet that help your eye move horizontally through the page. Serif fonts are like times roman. Etc.

What you have atm is more of a display font. Used for advertisement or short phrases. Look at the links and see that it is easily readable. But once you use that for a body of text the natural stress is vertical as opposed to horizontal.

Of course serif fonts are known to be the easiest to read but also many san serif fonts are good choices. Such as the one I am typing in right now which is Verdana.

It is also good to note that some type faces in smaller sizes can really get unreadable Ariel is a thin type if it is below 10 it can become unreadable. At the end it is testing a lot and seeing if it works. Do not be afraid of using two type faces in your work as well. I understand that you went with a fancy display font for all of your website but you can get away with two or even three type font families. In this case since you are already using a san serif type face I would go with Gill, Verdana, or Tahoma for you body perhaps. Though Tahoma still has a vertical stress. Sometimes you can get away with a vertical stress if you add room in the leading which is the space in-between your sentences. If you increase that you will have a better ability to read large amounts of text. Also make sure to use justified to make the big body texts feel more uniform, This is more of an opinion I just do not like seeing ragged right feels messy for me. Overall the design is nice. The colors are nice. The only color is the green that feels muddy compared to the rest. Perhaps make it more a light pastel green And put black text for body type.

Another note about type faces. Is that the reader usally does not read from letters but the shape of the words. Since we are so use to seeing type with times new roman and others alike it... we have gotten drawn into the idea that words look like and the shapes around them. So changing them and making us think of the letters is a pain.

Here is something that explain the word shape thing. The other info is from my graphic design courses.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ctfonts/WordRecognition.aspx

meheekano
11-29-2005, 02:35 AM
man i am glad i posted on here. thanks for all the comments. i will most definently go in and fix that font.

should i make an intro paragraph talking about the site, as the home page then make the bio on a seperate page. or leave as is for homepage as in content wise.

thanks alot you guys. i should post more often.
thanks for the font suggestions and color change tips. thank you so much.

meheekano
11-29-2005, 03:13 PM
update,
i changed the font and some grammar issues on it, changed the color of the background and resized stuff to fit and slim it down, i think the buttons were way to bulky on that first one.

thanks for the crits. next i will work on the resume and illustration pages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meheekano/update11-29.gif

meheekano
11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
resume page.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meheekano/resume11-29.gif

RO
11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Big improvement! I like it a lot.

two things I noticed from the get go is that you have the resume information so close to the title of your website which is your name. The line with education and technical is really close and makes it uncomfortable to see. I would give it little more breathing room so the type does not feel condensed into the title.

The other is the bio type. The size of the bio body text is bigger than the resume type. This is more a nit picky thing. Always try to maintain a Cohesiveness in your site. If the body text is pt10 on one site it should not jump to pt 14 or something.

I have to say I like your character design a lot. I look forward to browse on your site when your done :)

(btw I need to fix a lot of problems on my site as well hehe, esp how it looks on macs...and some browsers A harsh lesson i learned about type. Make sure to check your site on several platforms)

meheekano
11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
cool. i am still working out the resume thing. trying to make it fit.

we'll see, i am sorting through my work to see what is going onto the site, i dont want to put too much stuff on there.

probably like 10 to 15 peices in each section.

what do you think.

RO
11-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Really just put the stuff you like. Do put the stuff you like the best first. But it is also a good idea to have a mix of some that you really like and some next to it which are nice but not your best work... so like so perhaps...

Awesome work - good work - awesome work.

Just so the person looking at your site does not start to get tired of seeing a regression in quality effect of your works. So mix it up a bit. 10-15 sounds like a good number.

Vertrucio
11-30-2005, 02:58 AM
Only thing I can add now is to drop that mention of being a mechanic's hand. It doesn't really apply to your artistic career, which is what people will come to your site looking for, so it's best left out.

meheekano
11-30-2005, 03:31 AM
BAM!!! Vertrucio you must of read my mind, i was thinking about leaving that off or not, i had dropped another one off cause it was irrelevant also.
thanks.

cool, thanks Desp#2/Rog that's what i was thinking also.

thank guys.

i will post more when i can.

Vertrucio
11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
For what to put in a portfolio, others with more experience will know more, but from my instructors and advisors here at college, they've been telling me to keep it pretty short and only include the best work.

I'm studying both animation and illustration. I think this change comes from art directors getting a lot more submissions and a lot less time to look.

I'd suggest breaking it into two sections. Your portfolio and your gallery. Your portfolio houses only your best work and is kept short, say about 2-3 of each type of work you do, alongside the standards such as life drawing, for a total of around 10-15 pieces total. Stick the portfolio link right next to your resume link.

Then in your individual galleries (3d, illustration, etc...) you can put things you like, but perhaps aren't quite right for some reason or less than professional level.

This way you have the best of both worlds, art directors can jump on your site, take a quick look through your resume, then quickly hop to a concise portfolio to get an idea of your best work. All this without having to wade through a total of 30-40+ images distributed accross multiple sections (which they won't do), including ones that you're not quite sure of.

Then people who just want to browse your art can still take a look at your galleries.

meheekano
12-06-2005, 04:30 AM
still getting it together,
working on creating thumbnails, and render out some 3D images for the site.

here is another character for a different page.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meheekano/mermaid.gif

meheekano
12-07-2005, 02:27 AM
illustration page
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/meheekano/illustrations.jpg

meheekano
01-23-2006, 01:57 PM
its finally done.

thanks for all the help.
thanks for all the comments and critiques.

check it out.

www.meheekano.com (http://www.meheekano.com)

again thanks for everything.
hopefully i will be able to get my career started in the field with this.

vikkie
01-24-2006, 03:58 AM
The stripe shooting from the "Z" in the ramirez, needs the dark red stroke too, the stripe at the Jose's "J" has it.

Overall looks original and has style in it.

MVDB
01-24-2006, 06:08 AM
The site is looking pretty cool to me!

Well done! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 06:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.