PDA

View Full Version : Rendering In Log/Lin Color Space?

SKODA
11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
I am looking for the best way to render in Linear colour space. I am using LW and AE. So far I've had good luck rendering in Cineon and using eLin to apply a Log to Vid Lut. This works OK, but I am wondering if there is an image format which will give me even more out of range detail than Cineon, particularly in the just out of range highlights. I've tried TIFF logluv, but AE can't parse the file.

I'd like to try Open EXR, but I'm not aware of how to use that in anything but shake and photoshop. LW or AE plugins yet for Open EXR

By the way, I think there should be a forum on color space which would cover things like..

LUTs
Cinema DI
Log/Lin/Vid Colour spaces
Gamut
Gamma

The reason being that there are new film-out companies poping up, and film outs will be cheaper than ever in the future, but the medium diserves better than simply outputing to film from targas or HD, the film outs look vastly better when composited and output with a format which takes out of range values into account such as Cineon.

The service providers are very tight lipped becuse this is proprietary information, but they are mostly using commercial products and off the shelf codecs. We can take much of the expense and hastle of doing a film-out by doing all the rendering and prep ourselves right? Be our own DI supervisors.

My first question for this group would be. Can I take my Lacie monitor into Deluxe or Techniclolor to Calibrate it myself in the theatre while viewing a film out test in a theatre? How could I save this calibration as a LUT for use in AE, Shake or Final Touch?

How do people come up with their viewing LUTs?

Will a monitor drift out of calibration over time?

Skoda

CapnPanic
11-28-2005, 01:52 AM
The only one of your questions I feel I can snswer is the format for more extended range info. Go with EXR, it will give you more range then you can shake a stick at. As far as using it in After Effects, I believe we (the orphanage) have made our EXR import plugin available here:

http://www.theorphanage.com/tech/

Since it sounds like you are already using eLin, this stuff should all work together nicely since they both came from The Orphanage :) and we have been using it in production for quite a long time. The only thing I don't know about here is Lightwave's EXR export ability. I assume that they conform to whatever standards are there, so you should be able to save in floating point formats that give you a ton of extended range.

rendermaniac
12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
TrueLight http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/truelight.html is meant to be pretty good commercial calibration software. It was spun off from Framestore-CFC in London and is designed for film.

They also do very nice scanners and recorders so they are likely to have the film density information for your stock.

You really should calibrate your monitor to get it in a good known state before generating a film look LUT. CRT's can drift quite a lot with time - I don't know if there are any calibration systems for LCD yet.

Simon

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.