PDA

View Full Version : WIP: US Marine

Gling-Glo
11-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Software: Maya and Photoshop

Started to model a game character, the style I’m going for is a US marine “Vietnam period”.

To see if things going in the right direction I started texture the character to figure out what I need to model and what I can get done with the texture. At the moment I don’t have any plans on using a normal map not decided if it will have a bump or not.

Things to fix on the model are ammo packs, hand grenades and a helmet. The texture needs more work and is more a mock up just to figure things out. The weapon an M-16 is textured and I think I will stick with the version I have now.

The aim is to use less than 3000 polygons (quads) for the character, at the moment I have used 1606 polygons on it but then some details are missing like helmet and other gear. The weapon is a separate object and using 195 polygons.

Image: wire and texture (http://web.telia.com/%7Eu52212476/images/other/wipMarine.jpg)

This is my first go at a game character so any C&C are very welcome.

----------
Gling-glo

Primo_itch
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
If you're going to a Vietnam style, i really recommend you watching Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse now Redux. They (specially Full Metal Jacket) will give you a nice idea about the equipments the soldiers used. One thing usual in Vietnam also was "personalization" of uniforms... Cigarettes tied to the helmets, sleeves pulled to the shoulders, etc.
A critic i'd give is about the boots. In real life, boots go pretty higher than yours...

Also, i know the texture is wip, but this green is brigther thanolive-military green... And i think that the top vest (i dont know the name in english =/) should be green to.

Stratboy531
11-27-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm not much of a critic since I've never done a 3d model before, but I do have one thing to say; the character model should be... perhaps a little darker, a little dirtier looking. Unless he's a fresh-off-the-boat-clean-shaven soldier who has never seen the likes of war before... And like the guy said before, his boots should go higher. Also, you might want to make that arch on his boots a little less accentuated. Make a softer curve is what I mean. Otherwise, sweet model.

Gling-Glo
11-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Primo_itch: Thanks for the reference tips I had totally forgot about Apocalypse now. About the boots, yes they are a bit low but I think that’s the kind of boots they used in Nam. I might be way of here but been looking at some photos from Vietnam War re-enactments that I got from a web-site and the movie platoon ( Tom Berenger´s boots in platoon (http://images.zap2it.com/ltvimages/images/shows/p/platoon/platoon_big_005.jpg) ) but I will look into that.

Stratboy531: At the moment he is fresh from the boat :), the colour texture is there as a guide and reference for me to see what works as texture and what detail I need to model (folds and creases on cloths and things like that). But I can probably use it for the final version just need to correct the colour. I like to use brighter colours in this process I think it’s easier to see what works and not, as for the boots that probably going to be black/grey. The final version will be darker and dirtier and as Primo_itch said “personalization of uniform” with text on helm and things like that.

Thanks for your time and comments.

--------
Gling-glo

Stratboy531
11-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Primo_itch: Thanks for the reference tips I had totally forgot about Apocalypse now. About the boots, yes they are a bit low but I think that’s the kind of boots they used in Nam. I might be way of here but been looking at some photos from Vietnam War re-enactments that I got from a web-site and the movie platoon ( Tom Berenger´s boots in platoon (http://images.zap2it.com/ltvimages/images/shows/p/platoon/platoon_big_005.jpg) ) but I will look into that.

Stratboy531: At the moment he is fresh from the boat :), the colour texture is there as a guide and reference for me to see what works as texture and what detail I need to model (folds and creases on cloths and things like that). But I can probably use it for the final version just need to correct the colour. I like to use brighter colours in this process I think it’s easier to see what works and not, as for the boots that probably going to be black/grey. The final version will be darker and dirtier and as Primo_itch said “personalization of uniform” with text on helm and things like that.

Thanks for your time and comments.

--------
Gling-glo

No problem. I'm a noob at all this modeling stuff so I'm not too sure my comments are worth anything, but hey- I play a lot of games so I should know some things.

dreamsunlimited
11-28-2005, 01:36 AM
i think the modeling and texturing is really solid.keep it up.

Gling-Glo
12-02-2005, 04:49 AM
A small update made a helm, some pockets, ammo belt and a water bottle. Not sure I will keep the strap on the helmet, at the moment only one side has a strap.

Is it ok to have the character and the helm as two separate objects as I have? They share the same texture and the idea in having them as two separate objects is that he should be able to drop the helm if he dies or get injured. I plan on rigging the character so in a game perspective is it ok to have those separate and connect them with joints in the rig?

Image: Update 1 (http://web.telia.com/%7Eu52212476/images/other/updateMarine1.jpg)

Next step: Texturing.

----------
Gling-glo

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2005, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.