PDA

View Full Version : The Scientist (WIP)

m2marriott
11-27-2005, 07:00 PM
this is a peice of concept art for a character for a uni project. he is based in the 18th century and is a ficticous scientist. i decided to make him old so that i could get plenty of character in the face. ive only spent a few hours on him so far but hopefully il hav him done within a week. i also plan to do another concept piece showing the full body of the character in his environment.

Stratboy531
11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
I'll just say that the wrinkles on his forehead are a bit misshapen, but otherwise it looks pretty good so far. EDIT: Oh yeah, I appreciate the accented nose, but it's a bit too much. Either make it less accentuated or kind of smooth it in to the rest of his face.

m2marriott
11-28-2005, 09:51 PM
thanks 4 the crit stratboy531

improved the eye and brow area, added more colour, will start work on mouth and hair next.

RampanT
11-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Are you using reference? Also, are you going for a realistic look, or very stylized? Because at the moment, it looks very stylized to me. I'd maybe get some good reference material. I'd also maybe work the whole image up at the same time, rather than concentrating on one specific part, then moving onto another part. By doing this, you can establish the overall volume of the head, then refine to work on the details. Because at the moment, the general volume looks off, leaving it looking very flat in places.

m2marriott
11-30-2005, 01:43 PM
continued to add to it.bulked out the volume more and started on some of the features. i'm going for a stylized look to create my own look, instead of photo reallistic as im still experimenting with photoshop.

JYoung
11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Going for a stylized look is fine, but the folds around his jaw and neck don't make sense.

Also, I'd agree with what RampanT said about building it up all at once. Start with the basic form, and then add in varying degrees of detail over the entire thing until you get the desired look. Obviously, you should do what works best for you, but that technique seems to work the best for most people.

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.