PDA

View Full Version : lighting pass?

D-Wang
11-21-2002, 02:52 PM
I've been working with max for about 6 years now and have recently been asked to render a lighting pass... Now, as far as i know Max alone cannot do this. My boss is interested in getting the newest version of PRman for the office, and i guess we will also need maxMan :shrug: . I assume PRman is able to do the whole lighting pass thing. So to sum everything up, can max make lighting passes? and if not how are they done in PRman?

ilasolomon
11-22-2002, 12:10 AM
Is lighting pass different from Render pass? what's that exactly?
if you meant Specular/diffuse/shadow seperated rendering then the answer is YES, max scanline renderer supports it.

Mauritius
11-22-2002, 01:02 AM
Diffuse illumination usually is always coupled with diffuse color.
Otherwise you could of course only render out plain light color (assuming white objects) and a no-shading diffuse color pass that has then to be multiplied with the former pass in comp. The advance would be that you could color-correct lights and diffuse color independent from each other before multiplying.

Tell your boss though that someone will have to write a shader or modify an exisiting shader to support this via output variables (see http://www.animallogic.com/research/maxman/onlinedocs/RenderDialogs/ExtraOutputChannels.html).
Plain buying a RMan compliant renderer -- like e.g. PRMan -- is only half of the story.

Blatant advertising: I can be hired (offsite) to help you with this stuff.:buttrock:

Cheers,

.mm

D-Wang
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
ah yes,

Thanks ila_solomon, yea it was render pass i wanted. Since this was the first time i had to do such a thing i wasn't sure what it was actually called. I just checked out render pass in max's user reference and its exactly what I was looking for. :applause: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.