PDA

View Full Version : Character - Final Fantasy X - Wakka

PhilOsirus
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
You peeps might know that I'm currently modeling a high-poly version of FFX's Rikku for a school assignment, but before the assignment I had started modeling this low-poly Wakka from the same game in an attempt to do much like Sephilos (http://www.xcloud.net/) did with Tidus.

Basically it is extremely high-poly so far since I have five fingers for each hands and a face with a lot of detail (more to come too), but I might be able to optimize it later enough anyway. I'm hoping to go below 6000 tris total. No normal mapping, I'm not good enough at high-poly modeling for that yet:p

Anyway here it is thus far, I keep on working on it when I'm tired of working on the Rikku model. After these two I should start working on a model of my own design but I'm still unsure if I should make a high-poly version, I really need to practice modeling high-poly non-organic stuff cause I really suck in that area.

Crits and comments, I summon thee!

Here is the official artwork from Square Enix (I believe Tetsuya Nomura made those concepts, but the style looks very different compared to his other work, anyone can confirm this artwork is from him?):

http://www.star-reef.com/3d_art/wip/ffx_wakka_ref.jpg

Here is the shaded and wireframe view:

http://www.star-reef.com/3d_art/wip/ffx_wakka01.jpg

http://www.star-reef.com/3d_art/wip/ffx_wakka02.jpg

SpaceJesus
11-27-2005, 06:51 AM
6k is like .... normal for games dude. Hardly highpoly, but it's looking good so far - wireframes will allow people to help you more with your geometry.

HellBoy
11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
your concept design is awesome man, cool I'm looking farward for it

ojko
11-27-2005, 04:44 PM
your concept design is awesome man, cool I'm looking farward for it
The concept art shown is from the artists at Squaresoft (as it was known when the game was released), so it's official stuff so to speak.

PhilOsirus
11-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Ya that's why I added a Square Enix logo on the image, I'll edit the original post to make it clear. I wish I could draw that well, I started practicing my 2D skills a bit more anyway, all this character modeling has helped my comprehension of anatomy:)

I added the wireframe. BTW the head has been re-used from my Rikku model, with some modifications to get it to look like Wakka, but it is very W.I.P. at this point, I don't like the topology of the side of the head.

Note that there is a clear problem with the smoothing on one half of the character. For some reason, when one half is mirrored XSI does not mirror the triangulation of the quads as well, so I have no control over the way quads are tessellated. I think When I'm done I'll have to fix this in Max at school, cause it causes obvious shading problems on the character.

johnwoo
11-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Good stuff Phil...proportion wise I think his hands and feet could be scaled up a little, I dig the forearm topology but I reckon ya need another loop in there before it meets the wrists...the likeness looks a little different to the concept shown...but in saying that the face looks really good :thumbsup:...btw...interesting problem with XSI...I have'nt encountered that problem before...hmm....maybe try "symmetrise polygons" or maybe go to edit -> Instantiate-> clone single and then type -1 in the "X" axis to reverse the cloned half....hope this helps...and good stuff diude...

the_podman
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Looking good, Phil. Be careful you don't go too poly heavy in the blocking stages, looks like you've got around 14 subdivisions around the arms, it's getting tight. Curious, does XSI have something like Maya's Lattice or Max's ffd deformers? Then I suppose the heavy topology won't be too hard to edit.

gavin_hughes
12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Curious, does XSI have something like Maya's Lattice or Max's ffd deformers? Then I suppose the heavy topology won't be too hard to edit.

of course

the model however, the topology looks very odd for a game char. especially the heaed mesh and the forearms down.

PhilOsirus
12-24-2005, 03:47 AM
Oh man I forgot about this thread. Been busy with school, I have to finish some stuff during the vacations (complete environment, a character, and other assignments). I'm currently modeling a low-poly Jin Roh (Wolf Brigade) model and I used some parts of the Wakka mesh to get started. The head topology was a mess (on the sides) because that head was also taken from another model. It has been fixed, but don't expect an update on this model soon, sadly. I promise next time I post something, it will be close to finished so I can really end up with a finished piece. I make new threads too often about models I never finish (consider it practice, or bad practice).

Sorry! But all the feedback is remembered, hopefully it will show the next time I post something!:)

Thanks!

HellBoy
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Oops! hehe :blush: my bad

CGTalk Moderation
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.