PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Declares N-Gage A Failure

RobertoOrtiz
11-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Quote:

" N-Gage is still being sold but it was not a success in the sense of developing a new category," said Antti Vasara, Nokia's vice president for corporate strategy.
"We learnt that people want to play games on all devices. As such we are integrating the gaming software into Series 60 phones."
Vasara explained that screen sizes and quality will be much more conducive to mobile gaming systems by 2007.

The N-Gage was developed by a dedicated 'tiger team' at Nokia and was hailed as the future of all games platforms at its launch. But Nokia only sold two million units in three years, against projections of at least six million.

A Nokia spokesman said that the company intends to continue producing N-Gage devices primarily for the Chinese and Indian markets."

>>LINK<< (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2146487/nokia-holds-fire-mobile-gaming)
-R

Keiyentai
11-26-2005, 01:41 PM
They just now realised this?? Even asfter 2 years of horrid sales and 2 versions of the N-Gage? I know only 1 person who has a N-Gage...and he uses it for a phone. I never liked the N-Gage sionce day one. Bulky and lack luster games.

SaucyJack
11-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Damn! And i've just bought one too.

Note: Blatant lie

Bulldog
11-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I remember at GDC people avoided the N-gage booth as if it was the leper colony. It was pretty funny considering they had the biggest and fanciest booth of all companies :)

mummey
11-26-2005, 06:31 PM
I remember at GDC people avoided the N-gage booth as if it was the leper colony. It was pretty funny considering they had the biggest and fanciest booth of all companies :)

Well, nothing says "instant success" quite like having John Romero at your booth. :shrug:

Bulldog
11-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, nothing says "instant success" quite like having John Romero at your booth. :shrug:

I dont recall that , what was romero doing there?

Frwanque
11-26-2005, 07:11 PM
You're right the N-gage is really a Failure I work on 3 3D title and now I'M withouth a job because Nokia don't make any money whith those game and they were some of the best game. It'S pretty hard to accept that. I Hoped there was a possibility for me to grow fast in old school game on mobile devices but now i've spent 2 year on this and I'm now looking for a job who need shading and all new stuff like that that's hard.

Bonedaddy
11-26-2005, 07:35 PM

Asking for directions to the restroom.

Knotter8
11-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Beh. I never liked the designs. Very bulky and eggshaped.

But yeah, it took along time for them to acknowledge it flopped !

kwilli30
11-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Quote:

"We learnt that people want to play games on all devices. As such we are integrating the gaming software into Series 60 phones."

(http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2146487/nokia-holds-fire-mobile-gaming)

Good move to get more games on phones...I mean, maybe the world just need a game iPod...oops, I forgot about the PSP.

Off topic: is "learnt" even a word? I figure they mean "learned", but maybe nokia is just based in the South ;)

Per-Anders
11-26-2005, 08:15 PM
i'm just amazed the design went through in the first place. it's kinda patently clear that it would be a failure on more or less every level.

hundereds of tiny keys, bulky, un-ergonomic, hard to change the games with... everything about it was wrong wrong wrong, everything about it was even wrong wrong wrong for a mobile phone!

gamers require simplicity in their controllers. nice big friendly buttons that can take a pounding, a shape that fits the hands and if it's mobile, the pocket. no fiddlyness, especially not with swapping carts. the idea of integrating a phone was interesitng, but badly thought out imo, as a phone it was too big and seemed to lack a clear which way up even!

at the end of the day who actually plays games on phones? you might quickly put a game on that comes with the phone for about a minute, before realising that it's going to kill your fingers, eyesight and/or the phone, and that it's most likely dull as hell anyway so you're better off with something that's dedicated to the task, so you never touch those games again.

gga
11-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Off topic: is "learnt" even a word? I figure they mean "learned", but maybe nokia is just based in the South ;)

See:
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/learnt

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 02:17 AM
There's no way that they couldn't have seen this coming when they developed the N-Gage. Everyone else did. :shrug:

noisewar
11-27-2005, 06:11 AM

selling tacos. VERTICAL tacos.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:35 AM
selling tacos. VERTICAL tacos.

Don't they overheat if you stand them upright?

noisewar
11-27-2005, 09:26 AM

ONLY when they have delicious filling. Romero, alas, skimped on the asada when he was porting Red Faction. Romero makes abuelita muy enojada.

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 09:28 AM

hahaha....:D

DevilHacker
11-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Nokia is still going to keep their N-Gage platform; they just are not going to make any more dedicated handheld units. Instead, they will be incorporating the platform into the majority of their upcoming phones… Which, when you think about it, is a wise decision since Nokia sells 10’s of millions of phones per-year.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2005, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.