PDA

View Full Version : scene optimizing

jondoe0ne
11-26-2005, 12:09 PM
ok so i have learned a lot from my previous thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=296908 , about how i could optimize my scene if it's a huge one, but i have the feeling that there is more...

so i am asking what are the other things that i could do to optimize my huge scene to the max in order to prepare it for animation?

first i am trying to use as few texture maps as i can, plain colours will do for me, as long as my animation is a hellicopter flythrough, with few details, so in this matter the texture size is of no concern for me...
but what about the polygons? will it change anything if i try to transform complex surfaces (like a wall with lots of openings in it) from simple polygons into N-gons? ( i must admit that i don't really konw what the n-gons do exctly apart from showing me one polygon instead of 20 on a punctured facade)...

so what are your methods of optimizing your huge scenes ? (apart from the connect option which i have already learned...)

tcastudios
11-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Textures -do- render faster than plain colors (procedural).
So if you have buildings meduim- to far-away, bake them and apply that texture to simple geometry. Bake as many textures as you can and the render will fly.

Cheers
Lennart

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2005, 11:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.