PDA

View Full Version : I have figured out .x bone animation

GreenFish
11-26-2005, 04:35 AM
If anyone is interested, I have actually figured out how to export successful .x bone animation to use in video games for just ten bucks (and not knowing anything about writing your own .x converter).

Get Nuclear Glory's .x converter (which is down at the moment, so you'll have to wait). This is for just ten bucks, But it does not successfully convert the file because it unwelds the vertices on the model (causing smoothing problems).

So you have to Import the .x file into Fragmotion (there is a free trial version that you can just keep installing on your system every thirty days). This imports everything, including the animation, bones, bone names and hyerachy (just everything, it's awesome). So, In this program you must weld the vertices and then export it back out as a .x file.

So, there you have it. You don't have to go learn another program. I can stay within the familiar confines of Lightwave, and successfully export .x bone animation.

Heres the steps in case you missed them:

1. Export Bone Animation From Lightwave using Nuclear Glory's exporter ($10)
2. Import .x file into Fragmotion (free trial version).
3. Weld the vertices in Fragmotion and Export the .x file.

Now you can load in the animated .x file in your favorite game making software, and play away, all for $10 bucks. Can't beat that!

If you think this is all easy, guess again! (as there is always a catch)

Nuclear Gory's Exporter can only export UV coordinates with the Texture Guide Tool within Lightwave. This Bastar.d tool of Lightwave is a very cumbersome SoB, but it's the only thing that'll work.

When the Animation Imports into Fragmotion, It only brings in the KeyFrames, So if you have two keyframes of a hand waving, you will only see two frames in Fragmotion, where the keyframes are. So you must create keyframes for everysingle frame when you Export from Lightwave.

There are other problems (but they all have solutions), but anyone interested in this should be able to figure it out.

I read some posts (years past) on this forum on this very subject and some people said it was impossible. I have proved them wrong. **wide grin**

Thanks for reading.

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2005, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.