PDA

View Full Version : out of memory...

jondoe0ne
11-25-2005, 11:28 AM
hi gang,
i'm working with a huge scene at the moment and sometimes when i wnt to testrender i am getting the nasty message... i have 2 Gb currently, but i have the possibility to buy another 2 Gb.
my question is: if i buy the other 2 Gb, will things be different, meaning that does C4D know to use them? i am asking this because i know that windows xp doesn't know what to do with 4 Gb, and i don't want to throw the money out the window just to get 4 Gb of ram to look at...

i would appreciate if i could get a quick straight forward answer, cuz the deadline kind of pushes on my shoulders....
thanx a lot in advance

gbie
11-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Another 2 GB of physical RAM will probably not solve your problem. 32bit windows applications are generally able to use only 2 GB of memory and it does not matter whether it is a physical RAM or a virtual RAM (swap on a harddisk).

I would recommend to optimize the scene first - try to decrease the number of objects in the scene. The scene with the same number of polygons is according to my experience much less memory intensive if there are fewer objects in it. I would also check the texture sizes, use Optimize function etc.

You can also make windows use 3 GB for applications and only 1 GB for the kernel (default is 2 GB / 2 GB). This includes setting /3 GB boot parameter and enabling the application itself. This approach always worked for me. But be warned - it is not officially supported and can possibly lead to unbootable computer!

jondoe0ne
11-25-2005, 12:05 PM
and if i have 100 objects in a group how can i make them one object, like uniteing them, in one or few moves?
i have tried with boole but it can unite only 2 objects at a time...

i'm sorry if this question is in the RTFM area but i'm kind of stressed right now...

vesalus
11-25-2005, 12:10 PM
maybe some screenshot could help us to see if thing seems optimisable... :)

Fre
11-25-2005, 12:16 PM
and if i have 100 objects in a group how can i make them one object, like uniteing them, in one or few moves?
i have tried with boole but it can unite only 2 objects at a time...

i'm sorry if this question is in the RTFM area but i'm kind of stressed right now...

with connect. in the object manager.
I wouldn't use any bools at all.
My epxeriences with booleans are that they ask more memory then the the same boolean wich has been set to current state, but I could be wrong.

jondoe0ne
11-25-2005, 12:23 PM
thanx a lot guys!
even though i still have a lot to work it seems easier right now, and doable...

here's a screen shot of the scene

gbie
11-25-2005, 12:35 PM
with connect. in the object manager.
I wouldn't use any bools at all.
Definitely - I would group them by materials and then use Connect. It will help only if you are able to reduce number of objects significantly and have also many objects at the beginning - let say 1000 windows reduced to 3 objects (glass, metal, wood). It does not make sense to do this if there are relatively few objects in the scene (e. g. 100).

noseman
11-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I have the feeling that if you are using a lot of instances, you use more ram during rendering.
Try expanding objects and connecting as many as possible.

Some time ago I had the same problems and I got aroung it by splitting the scene in foregroung objects and background objects.

Use low res proxies for previz and when in final stage, render two or three instances and merge them in Photoshop.

Also for the far objects (the houses in the back) you could render them and use camera mapping..

Hope this helps!

AdamT
11-25-2005, 02:50 PM
You should enable the 3GB switch in Windows boot.ini file. That'll give Cinema more memory even if you only have 2GB (or 1GB) installed, because it allows Windows to use virtual memory when your physical ram runs out--up to 3GB. Search MS knowledge base for the how-to.

Jake-L
11-25-2005, 05:17 PM
With 3 gigs of RAM, I get the out of memory error when rendering heavy stuff (Fur with 2,6 million polys, etc). But the same scenes render fine when I boot with the /3GB switch.

Btw, having two entries for yout boot.ini, one for default memory allocation and one for 3 gig, is a safe way to go. Mine is set up like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GB

artdude12
11-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Jake,

I'm getting ready to do the 3gb boot ini and I found this in the CG Talk Hardware
section:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_3GB_PAE" /fastdetect /3GB /PAE /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_Normal" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

It's a bit different than yours.
Do you think it will make a difference?
I'm running XP Pro SP2.

Thanks

Jake-L
11-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Hmm..I've not gotten into the PAE Mode. I've only got 3 gigs of physical RAM and, if I've understood it correctly, the PAE mode can be used to access more than 4 gigs of physical memory on 32-bit systems.

No PAE switch is needed if you just want apps to access more than the OS 2 gig limit. (if you've got more than 4 gigis of ram and are of the adventurous sort, you could of course try it ;])

The other difference is, of course that in your ini the 3 gig option is the default.

artdude12
11-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I only have 2 gigs of physical memory, so I think I will play it safe for now and
try your boot ini.

Thanks.

Jake-L
11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh, another thing that could be useful is the "USERVA=xxxx" switch (after the 3gb switch).
For example,
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2500

This switch limits how much mem is available to a program and could help in situations where your 'puter doesn't like the 3gb switch all by itself (video cards can cause problems). The above "2500" gives an app access to 2,5 gig (the values are between from 2048 to 3072).

artdude12
11-25-2005, 06:50 PM
OK, good to know. I will use that as plan B or C if the 3 gigs don't work.
I've a 6800 GT with 256 MB. Do you think that will survive the switch?

Thanks.

Jake-L
11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
OK, good to know. I will use that as plan B or C if the 3 gigs don't work.
I've a 6800 GT with 256 MB. Do you think that will survive the switch?

Sorry, I've no idea. (btw, it's not just Gfx card but also driver specific). Anyway, just in case the machine does crash/won't boot to windows, you always ought to have the default boot entry in your .ini to fall back on.

jondoe0ne
11-26-2005, 09:44 PM
thank you all for participating to this thread, just came down from 39000+ objects to about 650, just by connecting things around there.
however i have started another thread about the things that one should do to optimize a scene to the max. this is the link, http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297111 but so far no one replied... if you have any methods of doing that, feel free to share them, any tip is most appreciated.

smurfted
12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
a very useful little thread..

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.