PDA

View Full Version : Rob's brushes error

Zephyrus
11-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi,

I downloaded Rob's brushes ( Lunatique ) from his website but I can't open them.
I get an error saying : error in "opaque round" (10-2).xml line 40 column 1
illegal dab-application-parameters attribute

The error occurs while trying to open them from the materials menu. I can see Rob's icon.

Can't press ok and I have to close the program by hitting ctrl-alt-delete....

I use painter 8 btw. Any help is much appreciated. I wanna know how that famous pencil feels and looks like :)

Cheers
Tom

Jinbrown
11-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Tom,

I don't think you mean the "materials menu" since brushes aren't materials. Those would be things like Papers, Gradients, Weaves, etc.

If you're able to load the Rob's Brushes library, go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore All Default Variants. Then try to use the brush variants again and see if they work.

If Restore All Default Variants doesn't fix the problem, you could create the brush variant yourself.

1. Go to your file manager and delete the Rob's Brushes (appropriate brush category's) Opaque Round (10-2) variant.

2. Then go to the Painter 8 default Painter Brushes library, copy the Oils' Opaque Round variant and paste it into the Rob's Brushes library, in the appropriate brush category folder.

3. Rename the pasted brush variant Opaque Round (10-2).

4. Launch Painter 8, and make the brush control adjustments listed below to the new Opaque Round (10-2) variant:

_______
General

Opacity: 50%
Opacity Expression: Pressure

____
Size

Size: 10.0
Min Size: 100%
Feature: 2.0
Feature Expression: None

____
Well

Resaturation: 50%
Resaturation Expression: None
Bleed: 50%
Bleed Expression: None

5. In the Brush Selector menu, choose Save Variant and save the adjusted Opaque Round (10-2) variant with the same name and you should be in business again.

Zephyrus
11-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply. The problem at first was that I couldn't seem to load the brushes library. The error appeared when I tried to open that. Now I noticed the problem isn't just that one brush, but all of them.
I tried clicking 'ok' several, several times until I got past that and that works.
Afterwards I can use the brush I selected. When trying to select a new brush variant the error pops again and I have to repeat the process. Quit ennoying, but I still get to see the brushes in action.

The pencil is great!!! :)
Thanks
Tom

Jinbrown
11-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Tom,

I'm wondering if you downloaded brushes Lunatique (Rob) created for Painter IX?

Just tonight, I noticed he has yet another brush download available, dated today, 11/28/05. I downloaded that one and tried to load it into Painter 8 and got the same error messages you're getting. When I kept clicking the OK button, finally Painter 8 would let me use the brush variant but as you experienced, it happened again each time I selected another brush variant.

Looking at the .XML brush variant files in NotePad (text editor), it says in the second line down from the top:

<!-- Painter 9 Brush Definition -->

I have three brush download files from Rob's site. They were created for different Painter versions and they don't all contain the same brush categories or brush variants:

Rob's Brushes.zip - dated 9/9/04 - Painter 7

Custom Painter Brushes.zip - dated 2/19/05 - Painter 8

Custom Painter Brushes.zip - dated 11/27/05 - Painter IX

Lunatique (this is for you) really needs to make it clear on his site what he's sharing and in which Painter versions the brush downloads can be used. Otherwise, there are endless threads like this one where someone's having trouble and it takes a lot of time and posting back and forth to figure out what's going on. The person sharing the brushes should know how to present them and be the one answering these kinds of questions if they don't present them properly.

If the brushes were created for Painter 7, they could be used in Painter 8 and Painter IX but it doesn't work the other way. Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX brushes are not backward compatible.

Zephyrus
11-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey,

Thanx a lot man! It's comforting to hear someone else knows exactly what your talking about :)

So.... Is there anyway I could get a hold of the right brush download for Painter 8?
If you find the time, Jinbrown, and you still have that painter 8 zip. file, could you mail me that? That would be a blast.

(btw: I pm'ed Lunatique at first about the problem. He looked into it but didn't know directly what was causing the error so he redirected me here to post the question)

Anyway , thanks for your help so far guys!

Cheers
Tom

Jinbrown
11-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm afraid you'll have to work with Rob to straighten this out. If he doesn't know what's happening, direct him to this thread and that should get him started. The rest he can figure out just as I did and others do.

I can't send you Rob's Painter 8 brushes first because they're not mine to share and second because, if I'm not mistaken, in the collection there are some default Painter brush variants that should not be distributed by anyone. They're part of the installed program and covered by the license agreement.

Rob can send you any brush variants he created or his friends created providing he has permission from those friends to share their custom brush variants.

Good luck, and if you aren't able to get the brush variants from Rob, just keep playing with the brush controls and you'll soon be able to create your own, just as good if not better.

Lunatique
11-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Sorry about all the fuss. I'll clarify on my website what version of Painter should be used.

My brushes are really nothing special--they are just tweaks made to the default Painter brushes--tweaks that makes them better for my own painting habits. Anyone can duplicate my brushes by tweaking the default Painter brushes. I make mine available so it saves you trouble, that's all.

The older versions of my brushes contained brushes made by others--I included them because I use them, and they are a part of my painting process (and people always ask for the brushes I use). However, after Jin explained the etiquette of brush sharing, I've since taken them out and only have my own brushes included.

I no longer have the older versions of the brushes. Fact is, some of the older ones really weren't tweaked to optimal performance anyway. You can just open up the current ones, duplicate the tweaks I made, and then save your own variants.

Lunatique
11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I just updated the brushes again--this time, I took an entire afternoon assessing my current painting habits and how I would improve those brushes. I also drew/painted example pictures using the custom brushes (all available in the "goodies" section of my webstie).

Jinbrown
11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Rob.

Please see my post in your other thread, the one for links to downloadable brushes.

Unless your custom brush variants are named to indicate they're yours, there's no way for anyone to know they're not default Painter brush variants that come with the program.

Please rename your custom brush variants if they don't already have names that are different from the default Painter brush variants on which they were based.

Thanks,

Zephyrus
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Ok, I'll try that then Rob. I'm still fairly new to painter but damn!! what a great program :)
Anyway, thanks guys !

lil_fairy
12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I have downloaded Rob's brushes as well and place the folder in the Brushes folder, but when I try to load the library, it gives an error saying "Can't load empty library". Is it because I am using a mac version ?

Do I really have to open up the xml file and customize each brush by hand....... :~(
Or can someone list the settings for each brush using a default brush to start off with so that I don't need to go through each xml file looking at each setting.

Thanks alot in advance !

Elisa

lil_fairy
12-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I have downloaded Rob's brushes as well and place the folder in the Brushes folder, but when I try to load the library, it gives an error saying "Can't load empty library". Is it because I am using a mac version ?

Do I really have to open up the xml file and customize each brush by hand....... :~(
Or can someone list the settings for each brush using a default brush to start off with so that I don't need to go through each xml file looking at each setting.

Thanks alot in advance !

Elisa

Sorry I fixed it, the jpeg file needs to be there too. ;)

Please pardon my stupidity.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 08:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.