PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Object: C&C, Please.

ACFred
11-21-2002, 07:40 AM
Hey folks,

I did this quick little dragging of a sword using a little sphere character I made for the challenge.
Now what I need help on, I think, is making the sword seem heavier. Please take a look at this guy and let me know what I could do to make the sword appear heavy.

DIVX: http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/gladiators03.avi

QuickTime: http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/drag_sword.mov

Thanks!

Alec

Michael Chen
11-21-2002, 08:03 AM
I think to make the sword heavier would require him pulling it with both arms from my point of view. I am just thinking logically since that's how I would pull heavy things.

Also I think the sword flip made the sword look light instead of heavy. Why don't you have him loose his grip and tumble backwards (have him doing a few rolls or something) and fall flat on his face. This is just a suggestion...

Overall I really like you animation. The anticipation at the start is pretty good as well as the secondary action where the lid popping off it's head. It's a nice touch to the animation!

:thumbsup:

johnny_riptide
11-21-2002, 01:36 PM
I would have to agree with the points that Rukuwa made.

I would have him start by pulling the sword with one hand and have his body sideways, just like you have it in the beginning. That part looks pretty good. Him reach out and trying to pull himself with his other hand looks great.

Then about half way, have him reach around with his other hand and pull backwards at a steep angle (about the same angle you have him pulling sideways) with shorter, more frequent steps.

Like Rukuwa said, something that's that difficult to pull probably wouldn't suddenly go airborne and begin cart wheeling.

He's already at a steep angle, maybe as he pulls backwards have the action line progress to the point where he's flat on his back with the sword stuck on top of him.

ACFred
11-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Excellent guys! Thanks for that feedback!
It's suggestions like that that will make me better. I've made some changes and already it's looking much better. I'll have an updated version later today.

So far, I've lopped off part where he starts to trip in favor of him spinning around and pulling it backwards with both hands.

Thanks again!

Alec

bored alien
11-22-2002, 03:54 AM
It looks good to me. i guess it seems slightly confusing because it looks like the sword is really hard to pull rather than being really heavy... i.e. the resistance is horizontal rather than vertical, when really the sword would mainly be hard to lift up. This makes sense if the tip of the sword is dragging in the dirt or something, especially as that is the pivot taking most of the weight, but it still seems like more of his effort would be towards holding the sword up than trying to drag it horizontally. (The animation looks great to me for trying to pull a heavy object with lots of horizontal resistance, like if he were pulling the sword out of a wall.) But I'm as novice as they come especially in terms of animation, so I could be way off. :shrug: Great work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ACFred
11-22-2002, 05:27 AM
OK, thanks for the crits. I think you're right on the gravity, bored alien, I'll take a look at that.

In the mean time, I have an update:

DivX 5.02 Sword Dragging (http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/gladiators04.avi)

QuickTime Sword Dragging (http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/drag_sword2.mov)

OK, lemme have it!

Thanks,

Alec

Magarnigal
11-23-2002, 09:59 AM
nice animation!

...But!

I agree with bored alien, these are the actions of someone pulling on something with a lot of horizontal resistance, like a rope tied to a tree. If its a heavy sword, all his efforts should be in trying to lift one end off the ground, once he has done that it would be relatively easy to then pull it along.

If you tied a rope to the handle of the sword and had him pull on the rope, the movements you have now would be more appropriate! :)

Also this may be to do with your rig, but the tip of the sword seems to jiggle about quite a bit, if the sword is really that heavy the tip should be rock solid planted to the ground, even tiny pops will destroy the illusion.

-Mag

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.