PDA

View Full Version : Sin City drawing effect

NiCo^
11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey all,
I was wondering if it's possible to make a normal picture look like this:
http://www.sg.hu/kep/2005_06/0602sin12.jpg

Is it possible to do something like this in PS?

Thanks in advance.

naes3D
11-24-2005, 04:18 PM
I think that would be the posterize effect. But I'll let one of the PS masters tell you, I don't own Photoshop (tho I have had opportunuity to learn some basics with it from my school days).

BlueFlare
11-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Is it possible to do something like this in PS?
No, only by hand and not with just a few filters. Even if this was done with a filter, then the original sure wasn't a photograph but a drawing/painting that was very suited for this particular result.

kraal
11-25-2005, 06:49 AM
yes it is possible the same way you would do it with pen and ink

_david
11-26-2005, 12:28 PM
i'd use channel mixer and/or level layers. try that, should work. maybe some retouching before you use those filters,like painting bright areas dark and painting the eyes bright. if in motion you should choose your lighting well, if cgis, render passes. i hope that helps you a bit.
good luck, regards,
david

al-ali
11-27-2005, 09:36 AM
give the guy a real answer guys ...

simply ... go to filter > sketch > stamp

make sure to adjust the contrast of the image to be not less than 10% ...

respect

scrimski
11-27-2005, 09:45 AM
This is painted, absolutely no effect, just painted.
All of the 'Sin City' Comics are apinted in this style - pure black and white, not even grey tones - and I doubt that they are all done by any PS filters.

ravikumar_vsp
11-27-2005, 12:34 PM
hello
theres a tut in july2005 mag of computer arts mag for this same effect (i think)

BlueFlare
11-27-2005, 03:13 PM
yes it is possible the same way you would do it with pen and ink
I don't think you understand his question Kraal. Of course everything is possible in Photoshop, it's basically all a matter of placing the right pixels with the right colors. Is it possible in quick way using some standard filters? Scrimski and I agree that the answer is "no".

mofo101
11-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Of course it’s possible. In one quick step, probably not, however depending on the image, it very well could be. Your best bet would be to use burn and lighten on appropriate places, blur it to smooth out values and edges, and then go to >Layer >new adjustment layer > threshold and then play with the slider bar a bit, one of the really nice things about adjustment layers is that you can work underneath them and the effect is untouched. That should get you in the ballpark, but just experiment a bit. In PS there is hardly ever a wrong way to do something, so just try different things and see which works best for what you want. And don’t let someone say, “Photo shop cant do that” because odds are they are wrong. It has been my experience that just about any effect you want can be emulated with some time and patience. Let me know how it works out, and if you need some more help don’t hesitate to ask.

Kelly

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2005, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.