PDA

View Full Version : new to painter

StuJ
11-24-2005, 12:43 PM
just a quick one , how do you create a custom brush in this package???? I can do it in sec's in PS but I just seem to get lost in here.

cheers.

stu

Philippec
11-24-2005, 02:52 PM
just a quick one , how do you create a custom brush in this package?

1. Modify a brush to be the way you want it.

2. In the Brush Selector palette, click on the little black triangle at the right edge. In the popup menu, choose "Save Variant".

3. There is no step 3. :)

Kaspaas
11-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Stu. I'm pretty new to all the brush creating stuff in Painter myself, but here's what I've discovered so far. There is a custom brush creator ('show brush creator') section under your "window" drop down menu. Shortcut = Ctrl+B. You can customize a bit more settings I think if the way Philip explained does'nt quite do it. Something else I found quite usefull was creating nozzles for the image hose. Simply create to or more layers with what you want in your layer and then group those layers. Go to your nozzle library (bottom right of left hand toolbar). Once opened, click on little arrow on the top right of the window. Select 'make nozzle from group', and there you go. Then simply load it when you want to use it. I usualy create my group in a specific shape (eg. circular) to have more control over the nozzle (once you build up knowledge on nozzles, you can create nozzles with tilt , roll presure sensitivity and loads more variables). One last thing that I find extremely usefull is to make custom palettes of my favourite brushes. Nothing could be easier, you simply select a brush from the library, or your custom brushes (lets say main tool: Airbrush, and type: Graffiti) Once selected you simply click on the little airbrush icon again and drag it anywhere on your work area. It does not seem like its dragging it, but as soon as you release your stylis or mouse button you'll have an instant custom menu to which you can add other brushes by again dragging them on that menu. The brushes that you drop on such menus will always then remain that type on the custom menu. In other words, if you just used a detail airbrush (or any other tool for that matter), and then click on your airbrush icon in your custom palette, it'll imediately revert back to the graffiti airbrush you dropped on that menu. Two things to remember though, if you edit things like brush size, opacity etc. for a specific brush (even in your custom palette), the next time you use that brush it will be as you edited it last, and secondly, when dropping extra tools/brushes on you custom palette, make sure you drop them neatly next to each other, otherwise you might find the icons scattered all over the place, and for some stange reason you can't move them once they're dropped. O yeah, if you want to manage or recall old custom palettes, go to 'Window' then 'Custom palette'. You'll find all yur old palettes there ready to be recalled or deleted. Hope this LONG explanation is of some use to you. Cheers, Anton.

Kaspaas
11-25-2005, 12:09 AM
O yeah, all of this is assuming you're working on Painter IX.

StuJ
11-25-2005, 09:43 AM
cheers guys,

yeah I guess it's the image nossle thing I'm after as I never use any default brushes in PS itself I just make everything from scratch as and when and then just drop it into my brush presets. I've even scanned in "real" brush heads , marks etc and added those to my presets as well. I'll have a bash and see how I get on , I do prefer drawing in Painter than PS though , don't know why.

stu

Jinbrown
11-26-2005, 09:54 PM
just a quick one , how do you create a custom brush in this package???? I can do it in sec's in PS but I just seem to get lost in here.

cheers.

stu

Stu,

Philippe has only told you how to save a custom brush variant after you've created it.

Before you begin customizing brush variants, you'll need to understand the basics of what's available in Painter. Here are some things to read that will save you a lot of time and confusion (I'll assume you're using Painter IX. If not, you'll find the information in other Painter versions using the same or similar terminology):

Reading the information in the chapter mentioned below will help you understand where things are located that you'll need when using and customizing brush variants.

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > A Workspace Tour

On the right panel, click each of the links and read all of the pages that open in the right panel, from top to bottom, the entire page content.

Reading information in the chapter mentioned below will help you understand the brush categories and brush variants in Painter IX and generally how they work.

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Painting

On the right panel, click each of the links and read all of the pages that open in the right panel, from top to bottom, the entire page content.

Reading the information in the chapter mentioned below will help get you started creating your own custom brush variants.

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes

Again, if you're not using Painter IX, you'll find the information in Help > Help Topics using the same or similar terminology.

If you are using Painter IX, though you may want to use it sometimes, for most situations you don't need to open the Brush Creator and be separated from your work as the Brush Creator opens in a new Painter screen. Instead, use the Brush Controls palettes (Window > Brush Controls > General will open the entire group of Brush Controls palettes, all docked together).

There are three places where you can adjust brush controls:

Brush Controls palettes (can remain open and easily accessible for on the fly brush control adjustments while you work)

Brush Creator (opens in a new Painter screen separating you from your work until the Brush Creator is closed)

Property Bar (also easily accessible while you work, with limited controls that change depending on the active tool and/or the selected brush variant)

In addition, some brush controls can be adjusted with keyboard shortcuts:

Use the [ key to decrease brush size and the ] key to increase brush size.

Use the number keys 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0 to set brush Opacity to 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100%. (1 = 10%, 2 = 20%, 3 = 30%.... 9 = 90%, 0 = 100%.)

Once you've read the Customizing Brushes chapter, it's a good idea to set aside some time to experiment with brush controls since Painter offers a huge number of ways to adjust your brush variants and only experience will really tell you how you want to do that.

This all sounds like a lot of reading and a lot of experimenting time but if you bite the bullet and do it now, you'll be glad you did.

Have fun!

Jinbrown
11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Stu. I'm pretty new to all the brush creating stuff in Painter myself, but here's what I've discovered so far. There is a custom brush creator ('show brush creator') section under your "window" drop down menu. Shortcut = Ctrl+B. You can customize a bit more settings I think if the way Philip explained does'nt quite do it.

Again, all Philippe explained was how to save a custom brush variant after it's been created, nothing about how to create a custom brush variant.

The keyboard shortcut to open the Brush Creator is Ctrl/Command+B (for Mac/Windows).

As mentioned in my previous post, in Painter IX and versions prior to Painter 8, we don't have to open the Brush Creator to adjust brush controls, and have it open in a new Painter screen separating us from our work. We can, instead, use the Brush Controls palettes that can be opened and accessible while we work on our painting or other image.

Something else I found quite usefull was creating nozzles for the image hose. Simply create to or more layers with what you want in your layer and then group those layers. Go to your nozzle library (bottom right of left hand toolbar). Once opened, click on little arrow on the top right of the window. Select 'make nozzle from group', and there you go. Then simply load it when you want to use it. I usualy create my group in a specific shape (eg. circular) to have more control over the nozzle (once you build up knowledge on nozzles, you can create nozzles with tilt , roll presure sensitivity and loads more variables).

While Nozzles can be fun.. and useful... most painting is done with brush variants, not Nozzles and there's a huge number of ways brush controls can be adjusted to make a custom brush variant that does just about anything we can dream up.

One last thing that I find extremely usefull is to make custom palettes of my favourite brushes. Nothing could be easier, you simply select a brush from the library, or your custom brushes (lets say main tool: Airbrush, and type: Graffiti)

To keep terminology accurate and communication clear, that would be the Airbrushes brush category and its Graffiti brush variant, or a quicker way to say it would be the Airbrushes' Graffiti variant.

Once selected you simply click on the little airbrush icon again and drag it anywhere on your work area. It does not seem like its dragging it, but as soon as you release your stylis or mouse button you'll have an instant custom menu to which you can add other brushes by again dragging them on that menu.

The correct terminology in this instance is Custom Palette, not "custom menu" or "menu.

In Painter, "menu" refers to the:

Main menus along the top of the Painter screen

Menus found on the Tools palette's Selectors

Menus found in palettes such as the Layers palette, Channels palette, Scripts palette, Papers palette, Gradients palette, etc.

Menu on the Brush Selector bar

The brushes that you drop on such menus will always then remain that type on the custom menu. In other words, if you just used a detail airbrush (or any other tool for that matter), and then click on your airbrush icon in your custom palette, it'll imediately revert back to the graffiti airbrush you dropped on that menu.

Two things to remember though, if you edit things like brush size, opacity etc. for a specific brush (even in your custom palette), the next time you use that brush it will be as you edited it last,

To again clarify by using Painter terminology:

If we select the Airbrushes' Graffiti variant, then drag either the Airbrushes brush category icon or the Airbrushes' Graffiti variant icon onto a Custom Palette, then use any other brush variant, when we click the Airbrushes brush category icon or Airbrushes' Graffiti variant icon in the custom Palette, the Airbrushes' Graffiti variant is again the active brush variant. In addition, the Airbrushes' Graffiti variant will have the same brush control settings that were present when the icon was dragged onto the Custom Palette, even if we've adjusted the brush controls for that variant later.

and secondly, when dropping extra tools/brushes on you custom palette, make sure you drop them neatly next to each other, otherwise you might find the icons scattered all over the place, and for some stange reason you can't move them once they're dropped.

Not true. We can arrange icons and menu command buttons on a Custom Palette quite easily. Just click and drag the lower right corner of the Custom Palette to make it large enough to work. Then hold down the Shift key, click an icon or menu command button, and drag it to a new position on the Custom Palette. Do be careful not to drag it off the Custom Palette as that will delete it.

O yeah, if you want to manage or recall old custom palettes, go to 'Window' then 'Custom palette'. You'll find all yur old palettes there ready to be recalled or deleted. Hope this LONG explanation is of some use to you. Cheers, Anton.

Use Window > Custom Palette > Organizer to open the Custom Palette Organizer dialog box where you can highlight the Custom Palette name and use the Rename, Delete, Import, and Export buttons to manage Custom Palettes.

Read the following to learn more about using and managing Custom Palettes:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > A Workspace Tour

On the right panel, click the link named Custom Palettes and read the entire page that displays next in the right panel.

Do spend time reading either the hard copy User Guide or Help > Help Topics so you'll understand things better and learn to use Painter terminology correctly.

Jinbrown
11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
cheers guys,

yeah I guess it's the image nossle thing I'm after as I never use any default brushes in PS itself I just make everything from scratch as and when and then just drop it into my brush presets. I've even scanned in "real" brush heads , marks etc and added those to my presets as well. I'll have a bash and see how I get on , I do prefer drawing in Painter than PS though , don't know why.

stu

Stu,

If you want to do that in Painter IX (or any earlier version), what you want is to create a Captured Dab brush variant, or a brush variant for which the brush dab is based on an image.

Read the following to learn how:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Customizing Brushes

On the right panel, click the link named Managing Custom Brushes.

On the next page, scroll down and read the section named Capturing Brush Dabs. Then scroll back up the page and read the section named Saving Brush Variants.

CGTalk Moderation
11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.