PDA

View Full Version : nube light question

STRAT
11-24-2005, 10:26 AM
when i populate my archi models with omni lights they appear as either miniscule dots, or nothing atall . i can only view them when i select them.

is there an option in the settings somewhere where i can make the omni light icon bigger? all i want to do is view all the omnis in my scene nicely and clearly without having to select them first.

JamesMK
11-24-2005, 10:53 AM
One pretty nifty solution is to add empties where the lights are, either as a child or parent of the light itself. Then you can use the display options for the empty, and have it shown as a star or triangle or whatever.

STRAT
11-24-2005, 10:56 AM
thats a good idea. what i normally do is instance all my many light, then turn on a small far clip value on the first light. this also nicely displays them at all times. just switch off the far clip before i render then.

is there no way i can make the actual in-scene omni icon larger though like i can in max?

[edit]
or thinking about it, substitute the far clip for a smaller near clip value, this way i could leave the near clip permanently on without effecting the render
[edit]

nycL45
11-24-2005, 11:24 AM
What are empties?

STRAT
11-24-2005, 11:30 AM
i dont know exactly what he means by 'empties' but i'm sure they're along the same lines as non renderable entities, for onscreen viewing purposes only.

nycL45
11-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Yep. I went looking for "empties" and came up empty. What does C4D have that can be an empty?

STRAT
11-24-2005, 11:46 AM
anything i suppose - a star shaped 2d spline, a 3d primative etc etc. everything in c4d can be permenently viewed in the model and made not renderable. they make useful place holders.
but you knew that anyway of course ;)

nycL45
11-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh, Strat! You were so gentle with me. Hehe. ;) Again, I read far more into it. Duh.

moka.studio
11-24-2005, 12:17 PM
James means that you place the OmniLight under a null-object, then under the Null's Object>Display parameter , choose something other than the dot option, and change the radius.

You could then just save one of these Omnis under a null into your library, and use that instead of creating an omni the normal way.

nycL45
11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
BTW, Strat, thanks.

Cool Jean-Pierre. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.