PDA

View Full Version : Garbage pixels when Rendering alpha planes.

SilentRage
11-24-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm trying to render a scene with lots of poly planes with alphas on them.
The planes are crashing through each other a lot so I used 1bit alphas on them. (only pure black and pure white values) I was told that maya can only sort interpenetrating polygons if they have this type of alphas on them.
The sorting is fine, but there are a lot of weird horizontal lines everywhere in the image,
the only way i found to reduce them is in the render globals, by cranking Number of Samples up to 20/20. But there's still some under such extreme sampling rates.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I use maya 6.0 unlimited, software render.

p.s. this does not occur in mental ray, but i would like to make it work in software. :)

LehaS
11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Try to decrease in Render Globals Contrast Threshold of your Alpha to values close to 0....like 0.001 or so...

smoluck
11-29-2005, 08:44 AM
maybe it's caused by the Shadow Attenuation of the Material... if you render with raytrace, maybe turn it to 0.0..

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2005, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.