PDA

View Full Version : match colour without loss of detail?

yinako
11-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Hi, I like this new match colour in CS2, but I loss the detail and contrast of result image. Anyone know if theres a way to maintain the detail, while accurately match colour in photoshop?

frog
11-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Make a copy of the original image and overlay it on the corrected one in "luminance" mode.

Even better, do the work in LAB mode and edit only the A and B channels, leaving the lightness channel untouched.

checkster2323
11-24-2005, 07:43 PM
or use channel maker to steal the channel with the most info and put that info into the channel with less, watch the results and experiment. blacks to yellows is IMO the hardest one to do.
the shadows get tricky, becuase some colors, (like yellow) dont have black in the shadows, just denser yellow and deeper magenta etc..

be carefull in the order you steal channels too

you cant take the channel down and expect to steal from it later..

yung23@Lost-TV/ Chris
checkster2323

yinako
11-26-2005, 02:26 AM
Ok i found my problem, its just less colour sample. match colour is not available on LAB.
checkster2323 : you mean channel mixer?

Jack Youngblood
12-09-2005, 05:59 PM
IMHO match color is a bit of a crude device. better results can be had from careful RGB value targeting of relevant are in source and target image followed by a bit of curve work (usually with added points on the curve to stop the colors straying too far off course). Laborious I know.

yinako
12-10-2005, 03:09 AM
so you are saying its better done by eyeballing the colours? When you have to repeat colour match very often then I like that magic command match colour to do it in a couple of steps. However you right the result is always lack of contrast but the over all lumiance and colour match perfect, it looks like almost the type of result you get from heal/patch brush, maybe its the same meathod.

So Now I do this, try to quickly match target the colours with level or curve, and go to colour match and use it at 50% fade, I kind feel it works ok, giving more speed and percesion at the same time...perhaps.

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2005, 03:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.