PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson Tossed Out Of Court

RobertoOrtiz
11-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Quote:
"Controversial Miami-based attorney Jack Thompson has been removed from a lawsuit filed by the families of two slain police officers and a police dispatcher against Sony, Rockstar Games, and game retailers. Furthermore, the judge in the case revoked Thompson's license to practice law in the state of Alabama citing Thompson's behavior as the cause of the sanction."

>>Link<< (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/668/668351p1.html)
-R

froggyplat
11-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Great news. Maybe this will push the debate over games and violence into a more intelligent and honest realm.

leigh
11-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Bwahahaha.

-Vormav-
11-24-2005, 05:35 AM
Not one to take such things lying down, Thompson fired back at Judge Moore by claiming the the judge "has violated... The Alabama Canons of Judicial Ethics by his unfortunate, improper, and prejudicial acts in this case, at the expense of three bereaved Alabama families."
Man, this guy really needs to learn to recognize his mistakes. This is really getting pretty pathetic.

PhantomDesign
11-24-2005, 06:07 AM
If you thought lawyers were the bottom of the barel, you obviously haven't dug deep enough to find Jack Thompson.

agreenster
11-24-2005, 06:30 AM
What's scary is that I could see him retaliate someday, in a violent way...when you mess with people's livelihood they can freak out. Hopefully this doesnt turn into a Law and Order fiasco.

gunslingerblack
11-24-2005, 07:25 AM
so he only lost his license? this is a big deal im sure but i really hope he gets disbarred everywhere he's allowed to practice law.

mummey
11-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Jack Thompson ever met Fred Phelps... :eek:

RockinAkin
11-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Pwned. :thumbsup:

Hazdaz
11-24-2005, 06:12 PM
The problem is, that this guy is NOT going to go away. He probably has some deep-pocketed supporters (probably conservative religious nutjobs) that will continue to fund this guy cuz they know he is insanely motivated to go after the gaming community. I really don't see this as much different than those nutjobs that get elected onto the schoolboard in some town in Alabama (or Tennessee?) that are now trying to discredit Evolution and insert their own religiously motivated 'Intelligent Design' ideas. These zeolots are really gaining ground in some areas by simply not going away.

I really would NOT be showed to see Jack run for some kind of political office.

chrisWhite
11-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Those are some pretty strong comments my friend. I'm one of those "conservative religious nutjobs" and I don't agree with how Thompson has conducted himself, nor do I agree with a lot of what he says. Did it ever occur to you that there might be some of those in favor of intelligent design on these forums? This doesn't seem like the right place to be trashing on them or even discussing it at all. :shrug:

- Your Friendly Zeolot

JMcWilliams
11-24-2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.digital-animosity.com/worms.jpg

A. Wright
11-24-2005, 07:23 PM
The problem is, that this guy is NOT going to go away. He probably has some deep-pocketed supporters (probably conservative religious nutjobs) that will continue to fund this guy cuz they know he is insanely motivated to go after the gaming community. I really don't see this as much different than those nutjobs that get elected onto the schoolboard in some town in Alabama (or Tennessee?) that are now trying to discredit Evolution and insert their own religiously motivated 'Intelligent Design' ideas. These zeolots are really gaining ground in some areas by simply not going away.

I really would NOT be showed to see Jack run for some kind of political office.

You've got a point. The people like him don't give up. While the other side, eventually, will just say, bah, I'm tired of this, lets just go play video games instead ;)

Daniel-B
11-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I work at a WAFF 48 NEWS which is very near where the two police officers were killed. I was at work the day that they were killed. I remember cutting in for breaking news. It was a very sad day indeed.

rebo
11-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Yeah keep Intelligent Design discussion off these forums remember fundemantalist Religion talk is not allowed ;)

JeroenDStout
11-24-2005, 09:15 PM
...Fatality!

Hazdaz
11-24-2005, 09:52 PM
You've got a point. The people like him don't give up. While the other side, eventually, will just say, bah, I'm tired of this, lets just go play video games instead ;)
LOL exactly my point... most 'normal' people will continue to live their lives - while for these people, this 'cause' IS their life. Most people will just go "meh, whatever", but it is that very nature of people to be apathetic about stuff that gives them a foothold onto society. Very very scary stuff.

Those are some pretty strong comments my friend. I'm one of those "conservative religious nutjobs" and I don't agree with how Thompson has conducted himself, nor do I agree with a lot of what he says. Did it ever occur to you that there might be some of those in favor of intelligent design on these forums? This doesn't seem like the right place to be trashing on them or even discussing it at all. :shrug:
You can believe anything you want, as long as it is private and doesn't disturb the rest of society, I don't care if you believe in some views that are totaly wrong. That is your business.

But just like our friend Jack, his nutjob views shouldn't be thrust onto everyone else. Extremists shouldn't get their way just because they are the loudest... unfortuntaly in the society we live in, that is becoming more and more common.

ThE_JacO
11-25-2005, 12:03 AM
You can believe anything you want, as long as it is private and doesn't disturb the rest of society, I don't care if you believe in some views that are totaly wrong. That is your business.

But just like our friend Jack, his nutjob views shouldn't be thrust onto everyone else. Extremists shouldn't get their way just because they are the loudest... unfortuntaly in the society we live in, that is becoming more and more common.

please don't make assumptions about other members nor pass judgement on their believes.
the initial request to leave out religion was reasonable and related to a statement, which was agreeably a bit one sided, and how it was out of context.

just drop this one and try to be a bit more tolerant of other people's views please; very much in the same way that you ask of them to not force theirs on others :)

Icarus
11-25-2005, 12:08 AM
i wonder if he'll send emails to the judge saying its unfair and that his stupid etc..

glad this happened thou, this guys a total tool

Lunatique
11-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Has anyone actually questioned his mental condition? This guy's probably long overdue for a complete checkup at the local mental illness facility. He might not be full-blown loonies, but he's definitely showing some symptoms of early signs.

JayCMiller
11-25-2005, 04:52 AM
I'm going to miss Jack, I love reading about the guy, who doesn't? and it's not going to be good for us gamers if a half-decent lawyer get's the case :(
I hope we get to read some of the emails he sends the judge. hehe.... ahhhh, he's such a looney.

PhantomDesign
11-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Has anyone actually questioned his mental condition? This guy's probably long overdue for a complete checkup at the local mental illness facility. He might not be full-blown loonies, but he's definitely showing some symptoms of early signs.

Actually . . .
Wilipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney))
Following the Flores case Thompson became prominently involved in First Amendment issues, particularly concerning the possible effects of sexually violent material. The Florida Supreme Court ordered that he undergo psychiatric testing during this campaign, which he successfully passed. He later quipped that "I am the only officially certified sane lawyer in the entire state of Florida"[90].

Keiyentai
11-26-2005, 01:50 PM

:applause: :scream: That just made my day lol

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:53 AM

Not sure, I don't think the machines at the hospital can scan his brain through his titanium robot metal skull.

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2005, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.