PDA

View Full Version : STEALTH: Digital Domain FX Reel

RobertoOrtiz
11-24-2005, 03:52 AM
http://www.digitaldomain.com/links/comm/behindscenes/BHS1/bhs1.htm

-R

FloydBishop
11-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Very nice. I would have never guessed that so much of the terrain was CG.

Interesting music choice as well. Smashing Pumpkins was a great band.

gunslingerblack
11-25-2005, 02:05 AM
damn dude slick reel,

i kinda boycotted this movie when it came out due to the fact that i had already seen an anime produced before this movie that had almost the exact same plot,(yukikaze) only this movie didn't have aliens taking over the planet. the rest is pretty much there. i might have to take a look at it after seeing that reel tho, it looks like the action sequences are pretty impressive.

SheepFactory
11-25-2005, 03:22 AM
They showed this at Siggraph electronic theatre this year , awesome stuff!

krisr
11-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Some really great effects but probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm by no means knocking anyones work on the effects but I'm just sick of the never ending stream of pooh that comes out of Hollywood sometimes. Of course I work in advertising and by nature, most of that is pooh too :D

RockinAkin
11-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing this at Electronic Theater at this years Siggraph.
Amazing work done by everyone at Digital Domain.

...and yes, that song from the Pumpkins absolutly kicks ass - one of my fav's.

Wizdoc
11-25-2005, 08:17 AM
It wasn't certainly a good movie by any standards, but it brought a smile to my face in its cheesiness. So I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The VFX were certainly top-notch.

cpnichols
11-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey guys... I worked on this movie so I can't really comment on the actual movie for that reason. But, because I worked on it, I bought the DVD. It is a 2 disk set. I saw the special 2 hour making of, and I highly recommend watching it. It was really interesting. You get to see the GIANT gimbal rig that they set up, along with the amazing lighting system. You also get to see how they set up some of the biggest pyro shots every shot on film. It is really great, and I am not just saying it because you can se me in the background for 2 secs.

Anyone else see this and can back me up on how cool the making of was?

krisr
11-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Hey guys... I worked on this movie so I can't really comment on the actual movie for that reason. But, because I worked on it, I bought the DVD. It is a 2 disk set. I saw the special 2 hour making of, and I highly recommend watching it. It was really interesting. You get to see the GIANT gimbal rig that they set up, along with the amazing lighting system. You also get to see how they set up some of the biggest pyro shots every shot on film. It is really great, and I am not just saying it because you can se me in the background for 2 secs.

Anyone else see this and can back me up on how cool the making of was?

I can back you up on that.....saw that too....it was very cool! I just wish the plot was better :shrug:

laureato di arte
11-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I read that they used Engen which is an updated version of terragen for the terrain, doesn anybody else have any information on this software? I am doing a uni prject based on it.

cpnichols
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
I read that they used Engen which is an updated version of terragen for the terrain, doesn anybody else have any information on this software? I am doing a uni prject based on it.

It is proprietary software.

JavaJones
12-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Engen is proprietary Digital Domain software based on code originally developed by Matt Fairclough, the developer of Terragen, while he was working at DD. The codebase Engen is derived from also forms the basis for the forthcoming commercial product from Planetside called "Terragen 2".

- Oshyan

DorkmanScott
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Have so many bad movies damaged my brain? Because I literally just saw Stealth earlier tonight, and it was much better than I would figure. Is it just that the Matrix Reloadeds and Van Helsings of the last couple of years have lowered my standards?

I wouldn't say I loved it, and it definitely started suffering from script problems from about the moment the ship stopped being bad (probably because the whole film was really predicated on that concept and it was resolved fairly offhand and abruptly), but I enjoyed it way more than most action movies of late.

And the FX were top notch. Except for one shot in the North Korea sequence that looked made-for-TV quality, it was absolutely stellar, and mostly in direct sunlight situations too.

KOKE
12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
I saw this stuff today at a Houdini presentation with some of the guys from Digital Domain, awesome effects, and great camera.

Mainly all the effects are done with Houdini.

:)

JK.

Ultimatebadass
02-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry for raising a dead thread but what's the name of that song from the reel?

Oh and btw, the link in the first post no longer leads to Making of Stealth, here's the correct one: http://www.digitaldomain.com/links/comm/behindscenes/BHS6/bhs6.htm

Cronholio
02-19-2006, 05:15 PM
The song is "Silverfuk" with a c (stupid filter) by the Smashing Pumpkins.

Ultimatebadass
02-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Cronholio :thumbsup:

userBrian
02-21-2006, 02:48 AM
I saw stealth and was amazed at how the script seemed to split off in a boring love affair that felt meaningless and had no mystery. But I liked the effects. My entry in the Master and Servant 2D challenge had a stealth plane chased by a camouflaged fighter similar to the Russian jet type in the movie. And the pilot of another plane was actually trying to verbally
talk down the stealth too. As I had a strong feeling about some similarities going to occur in this movie I was let down by the lower intensity of the "split script" which made the movie have less power than it should. There should have been some twist in the love affair that affected the stealth plane, or something. I took film at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, and I met a lady who was flunking film in my University. I just inserted a twist into her storyboard, drew the storyboard for her, and she came back to say they loved it and she was now getting great grades! Sorry this sounds like cheesy self promotion, but I feel strongly about this so bear with me. Maybe it would be fun to see if anyone cares to insert actual script modifications here instead of just say how cheesy it was? I'd enter!

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 02:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.