PDA

View Full Version : '33 Kong DVD

KLThomas
11-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Everybody go out now and get the DVD release of the original '33 King Kong. Some very cool stuff on disc 2. PJ decides to re-create the stop-motion process used, building new puppets re-creating sets, hiring animators. The behind-the-scene shots of the Kong puppet moving slowly while you watch the animator jump around madly in time-lapse is especially cool. Also, he has re-created the lost spider pit sequence as per the original script. If your a stop-motion nut, this is a must-have.

akaiwa
11-24-2005, 02:48 AM
I watched it today with a friend. We laughed most of the time throughout the movie, but overall it was interesting and we can't wait (even MORE) to see the Peter Jackson remake.

Definitely for the fans.

Boone
11-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I heard about this awhile back( 3 nights ago! :D ), but I'm puzzled as to why they put the spider scene back in - I thought the chaps who made this film decided that it was a little too much, that it detracted from Kong saving Anne and made him out to be a devil or something...maybe evil? :curious:

Has anyone got a screen grab of this? :twisted:

meatpuppet
11-24-2005, 08:43 PM
i caught the original at an open air screening here in vancouver's stanly park.

i really, really enjoyed it. not having seen the movie before i was expecting it to be pretty dated but it held up. the story, direction, acting and visuals were pretty impressive.

i'll have to pick up the dvd for all the extras.

cheers,

Boone
11-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Watch out guys, there's two versions...

1) 4-discs: Contains Original version, Colourised Version, & two cheapo Kong "vrs" movies...

2) 2-discs: BBC print of the Original version + a second disc with some extras...

akaiwa
11-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I heard about this awhile back( 3 nights ago! :D ), but I'm puzzled as to why they put the spider scene back in - I thought the chaps who made this film decided that it was a little too much, that it detracted from Kong saving Anne and made him out to be a devil or something...maybe evil? :curious:

Has anyone got a screen grab of this? :twisted:

It wasn't inserted back into the film, it was added as an extra in disc 2.

It wasn't by any means very violent or disgusting by today's standards. In fact, it looks like something you'd see on the nighttime News. By their standards in 1933, it might be bad, but it was varely PG-13 violence.

Boone
11-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Re: DVD_Master.

Oh, thats good - I'd rather the original be left un-molested! :D

I haven't seen the sequence - yet(!) - but from the sounds of things its a tad...shocking. Sailors being snared by...URRGGGHH! :scream: Especially after they have been thrown down about...100ft? Its the stuff of nightmares, I tell ya! :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.