PDA

View Full Version : Silly Season Card

nomorehere
11-24-2005, 12:18 AM
----------------CURRENT----------------
http://www.whymicesing.com/studio/albums/userpics/10001/CARD-small.jpg
----------------ORIGINAL----------------

Just working at this at my own pace (ie if I want to get it done before xmas I need to start now!). I am a bit lost at the moment. Not sure whether to clutter it up (weird pine trees/palm trees, candy canes etc) or leave it simple - though it is rather boring at the moment.

Any hints, or suggestions for improving on what is there so far? Thanks!

http://www.whymicesing.com/portfolio/WIP/2005sillyseason/tortoise_step6.JPG
(previous shots/references can be seen: http://whymicesing.com/2005/11/18/)

EDIT: Added comparison between original and current image

nomorehere
11-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Ok. Have worked on this further. She is leaning a bit much for my comfort. The galah is only a guess at the moment (need to find a phot reference to correct colours, and its anatomy)

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Removed intermediate step.

nomorehere
11-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Main changes: Corrected galah, used histogram to increase contrast and added climbing roses. Considering adding a couple of elves/gnomes (probably gnomes) pearing through the fence.

A question: is she leaning too much? I've been looking at it for quite a while and cannot tell anymore (even flipping it horizontally it only takes a minute for eye to adjust!).

Apparently my copy of Corel Painter is arriving in the next couple of days: I will be very happy to ditch Corel Photo-Paint and finish this off in Painter. There has been much cursing over the last few days!

http://www.whymicesing.com/studio/albums/userpics/10001/tortoise_step13.jpg

nomorehere
11-28-2005, 01:03 AM
In hind sight: I think I need to tone down the saturation of the grass. Bright - ugh! I might actually change the colour scheme to something more golden, summery, late afternoon feel.

EDIT: spelling

Falcorr
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Not many replies here.

So im here to atleast reply. My advices are worthless. Hope you like em :)

Dont tone down the color of grass. Rather create more shadows to keep the colors tight just lessen the amount of green that way. got it?

Try to make sure you know the shapes in all directions. At the moment it seems all of them are starting to gather at same space. Make the female legs to have sharper shadows so they would appear closer to the viewer.. Also push that fence and background hills further away.

Not just depth, but color depth also.

Rotate the upper torso of woman slightly

Anyway this picture will be sweet when finished :thumbsup:
Go go!

Euphrosyne
11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Very original card idea! As far as colors go I would make a color adjustment and take the green a very little bit more toward the blue. The hills in the back ground definately more blue for atmospheric effect. I would change the color of the roses to red and make her outfit the same shade of red as the roses. I would also warm up the skin tones. Since the subject matter in the card appears to be whimsical and most cards are to wish happiness on people you might want to make the expression on her face more joyous or impish with a sly smile.

What ever you decide I'm sure it will be great.

nomorehere
11-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Thank you for your advice! I will try and make some of the changes suggested over the next couple of days, and will later post an update.

nomorehere
12-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Have made some of the suggested changes:

Tried to tone down the grass by adding stronger shadows, and adding more blue.
Increased contrast in skin tones
Rotated to torso of gnome/elf more upright
Warmed up skin tones
Added more blue to background, and softened contrasts to separate from figure more
Also added a sky and changed position of her arm to one that looks more comfortable.
TODO: her face, tortoise (and associated shadows), and still thinking of adding faces peering through fence.
Didn't change the colour of the roses; want them less obvious then figure and it is too painful even thinking about repainting them!
EDIT: Remove intermediate step (picture)

nomorehere
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Nearly There!

http://www.whymicesing.com/studio/albums/userpics/10001/tortoise_step15.jpg

EDIT: I have pretty much given up on making the face more energetic - everytime I do so she ends up looking demented, with buck teeth. Also, worried if I change it too much I will loose the "boyishness".

PTimm
12-02-2005, 07:26 AM
awesome skillz. for some reason it reminds me of renee zellweger.

Euphrosyne
12-03-2005, 06:41 AM
You don't have to repaint the roses or anything else to change their color, if it is on a separate layer just select that layer go to adjustments>hue,saturation and play with the settings. If there are things on that layer that you don't want to adjust you can make a new layer on top of that layer and set the new layer to hard light and paint over the roses with red or any other color you like and there you go. If you don't like the first color you pick you can erase it, throw the layer away or make adjustments to the new layer. You can do this to any portion of your painting without having to repaint it. Good luck! I hope that this helps.

nomorehere
12-04-2005, 09:51 PM
P.Timm: It does a bit, doesn't it? I think it is the eyes, and shape of face. My bf keeps trying to tell me it looks like me (nose and lips mostly).

Euphrosyne: I havn't actually used hard light before. I used soft light on the background to add the blues. Just what I need, a bit of motivation I was kind of pettering out. It is all painted on the one layer.

Euphrosyne
12-06-2005, 12:50 AM
The beauty of working on the computor is that you can always put a new layer on top of the painting and change what ever you like and just discard it if you don't like the results. You still have your original untouched underneath. I really like this piece and I hope that you will keep working on it until you get it to the point where you are happy with it.

nomorehere
12-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Yay! After a detour cataloging rocks I am finally finished.

http://www.whymicesing.com/studio/albums/userpics/10001/CARD-small.jpg

"It is the season to be silly fa-a-la-la-la etc. Or something like that.
This picture was based on the premise of the Santa's Workshop xmas party.
Or what so they do after santa is all loaded up and sent on his way?
There is a reference to a few artists in this image (Leunig, Tim Burton,
and an unknown artist) as well as to early-to-mid 1900's pinup art."

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 09:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.