PDA

View Full Version : FUR LAYER rendering questions

gu3
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
I have asked this before but I figure I will give it another try as my fur rendering spree is nigh.

I am rendering fur on a seperate layer with the use background shader on any objects that interact/pass over the fur (in most cases its just the head that has the fur) and since the use background shader captures shadows, I have to turn off the geo's recieve shadows option or else I get all sorts of the heads shadows on my fur layer. The problem is that I WANT some shadows from the fur to be cast on the head. What to you guys do to achieve this? Do run yet another render with just the head geo with a use background shader to get the fur shadows? If that is the case do you have to take all the other geometry in the scene and make sure it doesnt cast shadows so that it is just the fur? Do you put in the shadow in comp? Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks!

wigal
11-23-2005, 08:21 PM
hi, two approaches:

Take all objects that shouldnt cast shadow, and disable cast shadow in the attribute spreadsheet/rendering.... fairly easy

Do it in the comp.... an additional layer, more control over opacity, bluriness etc...

hope that helps

gu3
11-24-2005, 02:05 AM
hey thanks for the reply!
I was actually hoping to do it in comp, and was playing around with that; I am able of course to use the layer shadow effects (like drop shadow,ect.) but since I dont know after effects that well, I have the following problem:

how do I make the drop shadow just happen on select parts of the fur layer? It seems like I cant just have a single drop shadow on the fur layer, as that would always result in shadows from the fur being cast on the background. Is there a way to just do it on selected parts of the fur, so that having a shadow on the fur layer would work?

I hope that made sense.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

jeremybirn
11-24-2005, 02:40 AM
I think he meant render a correct shadow pass showing just the fur shadows onto the geometry, and then use that shadow pass to add the fur shadows to your comp.

-jeremy

gu3
11-24-2005, 03:48 AM
ah, ok.

So there is no easy trick to doing it in comp.

Thanks guys!

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 03:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.