PDA

View Full Version : XBox360's Crashing Day After Launch

thedigitalmonkey
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Numerous reports have been coming in that the diehard gamers who braved the elements outside Best Buy on Tuesday morning are already experiencing crashes with their console.

XBox-Scene has a report with pictures and video of the crashes in action (http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFkZkkkyEHasmrPqu.php).

Slashdot reported the story as "XBox 360 Very Unstable (http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/11/23/138200.shtml?tid=128&tid=211&tid=10)," but I need to agree with some commentors that it is too early to determine how widespread the issue really is. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it.

P_T
11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey, gotta keep up with the tradition right? :D

At least it didn't BSOD like the Xbox did at the unveiling with Bill Gates.

What do they mean with "Default Setting"? I didn't think u'd need to change video settings like you do on PC games to suit your hardware.

thedigitalmonkey
11-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Another article at Next Generation (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1712&Itemid=2) states calls to MS Support specifically suggested overheating of the mammoth machine as the cause of the problems:

"I play Kameo (interesting game) for about 30 minutes and the 360 crashes!!! Ugh.... Power adaptor goes from solid green to a flashing orange.... What next? Well, shoot off an email to MS, get one back not too long ago, find out that the flashing orange means that Xbox has overheated!"

P_T- I (think) all it means by default setting is they plugged, played, crashed.

tozz
11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Why is this not suprising? They rushed 360 to be first out, I just hope for the sake of the consumers that this will be dealt with in a proffessional manner. I'm waiting for the next revision before buying it, same goes with PS3, wouldn't dare buying 1.0. It's a shame.

PattyMelt
11-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Last night in my evening class for MEl Script, one of our fellow students brought in a 360 with Perfect Dark Zero and two wireless controllers. We plugged it in and had frag fests with bots on and rockets. Seemed to play smoothly too i might add with explosions everywhere. We also were playing single and co-op campaign. The only issue we had for the four hours of game play was the cinema seemed to stagger slightly(almost non-existant) while in-game was fine. Just maybe there are some factory defects or shipping damage? Just hopefully the next new batches from the manufacturer(s) will be stable.

Ckerr812
11-23-2005, 05:35 PM
The Sony PR machine at it's finest.

P_T
11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
You sure they aren't using AMD chips in the 360? :D j/k

Hope overheating is not a common problem with the 360, I'd hate to play that machine in Sydney's summer where it can get up to 40 degree celsius (around 100 Fahrenheit?) and not everyone has AC in their homes.

Monkey, I thought that's how you set consoles up? How else you supposed to set it up? just plug them in and play. :shrug:

tozz
11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
You mean they can get people's hardware to break down and overheat. Are you sure you don't give them just a little bit too much credit? :)

P_T
11-23-2005, 05:41 PM

I doubt Sony's THAT scared of the 360.

LMFAO!! I like your answer tozz. :applause:

JeroenDStout
11-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey, we can patch it and bring out new drivers, right?

Oh, no, wait, we can not, it's a console!

(laughs enigmatically)

Ckerr812
11-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be so naive, internet forums like that "xbox 360 scene" (who coincidentally links to p3s scene) try to start rumors like this all the time to generate traffic (hey works much better then advertising). The same forum is also saying Xbox 360 is on recall.

I just remember on this forum someone posting a link to some lady who claims to of been ripped off by matrix and terminator 2, which turned out to be a internet hoax, but on this forum everyone believed it hook line and sinker...

Not saying it's not true...but a more credible source would convince me.

Solothores
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Take into consideration that all devices within CE have a general field failure rate. I am not sure anymore where I took that figure up, but I think for CE it was considered at around 2%. (Don't nail me down on that figure though) However the essence is: NO company in any industry producing and delivering goods on this planet does this flawlessly.

cheers
solo

GOVernor451
11-23-2005, 06:11 PM

(laughs enigmatically)

Sure you can.

ShadowHunter
11-23-2005, 06:12 PM
So all this is based on is some forum member reporting crashes and a low rez screen shot and an iffy video. That's some reliable news right here... :rolleyes:
Not saying it's not true, but let's just wait a little until a more reliable source is reporting that people (notice the plural) are experiencing crashes.

Reepoman
11-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I'd say about 1%-5% will be fooked, is it hardware after all. It's to early to start laying into the 360. Don't forget that there are alot of positives as well as scary overheating/crashing reports.. I grabbed this of a forum to make a point...

“I had 7 people over today with the XBOX 360 on for about 9 hours straight consisting of about 10% PD0, 10% NBA2K6, and 80% PGR3. It ran the whole time flawlessly. As a side note, EVERYONE was BLOWN AWAY by all 3 titles. (60" 3LCD w/THX ultra 7.1)”

thedigitalmonkey
11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
For the record I'm not a big fan of either camp, but Sony's definitely at the bottom of my list, (I don't particularly love the MS or Nintendo, but I do particularly DISlike the PS2/whatever.) I was about to write the second source I posted is more credible, but there's really nothing behind that claim. Well, we'll see when and if bigger news avenues start to pick it up.

PhilOsirus
11-23-2005, 06:33 PM
It's not like only one site is reporting it, just at Joystiq there are a lot of people that reported the same kinds of problems.

tozz
11-23-2005, 07:44 PM
It's not like only one site is reporting it, just at Joystiq there are a lot of people that reported the same kinds of problems.
They're all evil Sony employees trying to take over the world, do not be fooled mortal! :D

chadtheartist
11-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm not too evil... Although world domination has crossed my mind a time or two... :D

JeroenDStout
11-23-2005, 08:02 PM
I just remember on this forum someone posting a link to some lady who claims to of been ripped off by matrix and terminator 2, which turned out to be a internet hoax, but on this forum everyone believed it hook line and sinker...
It was a hoax? :eek:

bonecow
11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
If true, could this affect the people that are paying an arm and a leg to get one of these things on E-Bay? Would they have some kind of protection if an exchange was required?

shadowfork
11-23-2005, 08:23 PM
They're all evil Sony employees trying to take over the world, do not be fooled mortal! :D

What a stupid comment. If any company is out there to take the world it would be Microsoft. They already own 80% of the OS market. There's no surprise why they took the gaming arena.

Not everyone has Sony products but most PCs have MS Windows running in it. :D

APLevitz
11-23-2005, 08:33 PM
If any company is out there to take the world it would be Microsoft.Consider: if they haven't succeeded, it's only because they're not alone in this pursuit.

shadowfork
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Consider: if they haven't succeeded, it's only because they're not alone in this pursuit.

Considered and agreed.

Apoclypse
11-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Listen, I saw the 360's instability for myself at BestBuy. The games were showing untextured objects, there was massive slowdowns and when I would press the menu button it wouldn't show up until 20 seconds later. Microsoft rushed this to be first and like always didn't care about anything but the bottom line. I knew Xbox live was dangerous. Why take a product that works when you can take out a half-assed product that will get "patched" later. Sony is no better, but I have more faith in them than ms. Nintendo is always pristine with their hardware, comes form experience.

DevilHacker
11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Everyone calm down.
The majority of the 360 units work find. Only 1 or 2% of the total # of units do not, and the way Microsoft has its production factories set up, they can quickly find out were the faulty unit was produced, and fix the problem. If you think this is bad PR from Sony, they are not doing a very good job… The general consumer seems to not mind, as almost all 360’s are out of stock EVERYWERE, and the word is, the general consumer will not be able to get one till 2006…

umfridus
11-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Rumours started circulating several months ago that there would be a deliberate shortage for XBox 360. Not sure how much truth is in there, however.

GOVernor451
11-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Rumours started circulating several months ago that there would be a deliberate shortage for XBox 360. Not sure how much truth is in there, however.

Deliberate shortages are really no longer a worthwhile tactic. Although It may increase hype, it's average people that are making big bucks from the shortage of 360's. Check Ebay, I saw a unit sell for $2400 yesterday.

Grim Beefer
11-23-2005, 09:54 PM
The Xbox shortage rumor was based on solid evidence (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2005-10-28T202101Z_01_FLE872719_RTRUKOC_0_US-LTECH-MICROSOFT-XBOX.xml&archived=False) . In this article the CFO of Microsoft basically says that they wanted to avoid a situation in which there is a huge sell-off of stock followed by a drought. Instead they wanted to have a slow, steady supply of hardware. Of course Microsoft immediately went into PR hysteria to refute all of the speculation this buisiness article influenced, but from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense that this is what is happening. I would think that what Microsoft realizes is that hype itself drives the sales of almost any entertainment commodity, and the last thing they want is to have a plethora of websites claiming that Playstations are outselling XBoxes by a huge margin - but they don't mention it's because there is a drought of units. It's a typical manipulative psychological marketing ploy from Big Brother itself, and I personally don't like shaking hands with the devil.

Antonbomb22
11-23-2005, 09:58 PM
the store i work at hasnt even gotten them in yet and when they do it is only going to be 3! MS purposely created a shortage, it happens every year so dont be surprised.

11-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not surprised. It's a freaking PC in box (which by the way looks like some cheap custom mod pc case). The untextured objects and slowdowns are all common problems in an overheated PC or bad video card capacitors. Plus, it's Microsoft!

shadowfork
11-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Microsoft doesn't treat crashes as problems...

... its a feature! Hehehehe :D

Check out this classic clip: Bill Gates' Microsoft (http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=301&CAT=movies&NSFW=0&rtn=search-301&Keywords=windows)

SalmonGod
11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
I have to back up the fact that Nintendo's work has always been near flawless... their 1st party games are the most polished on the planet... and the only hardware problem I have ever heard of with a Nintendo system is some DS units had touch screens with missing pixels... in fact mine has one... a single microscopic red dot towards one corner of the screen.. it's never bothered me

that's it... unless you want to go way back to the old NES days when everybody had to blow into their game cartridges to get them to work

P_T
11-24-2005, 01:11 AM
that's it... unless you want to go way back to the old NES days when everybody had to blow into their game cartridges to get them to work

ROFL!! :scream: dude... u just sent me on a trip down the memory lane... aaaah... the good ol' days...

rickmann
11-24-2005, 08:02 AM
I think its funny that they already have a support page of problems. And frequently asked questions pertaining to freezing up and not powering up solutions http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/

I mean how can you already have a page full of frequently asked questions when the damn thing just came out?

kraal
11-24-2005, 08:28 AM
f.a.q. in this case stands for foreseen ahead questions

Pixarman
11-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I've had my 360 on and running for about 60 hours now and not one problem. I've been playing games online and off and have even been using the system to watch HDTV through Windows MCE. So I gotta say those experiences with the malfunctions are probably rare...

One also has to take into account that some of these people might be stuffing their 360's in a tight non-ventilated cabinet or something similar. Any electronic device is bound to fail some if it overheats.

I don't know about anyone else on here but I am loving the 360 experience!

Pixarman

sinnic
11-24-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm not too evil... Although world domination has crossed my mind a time or two... :D
But you're unlike Bill Gates, who's actually trying, and succeeding! :deal:

tozz
11-24-2005, 01:08 PM
What a stupid comment. If any company is out there to take the world it would be Microsoft. They already own 80% of the OS market. There's no surprise why they took the gaming arena.

Not everyone has Sony products but most PCs have MS Windows running in it. :D

Next time I'm gonna put huge tags around the text as it seems a smily doesn't make it clear enough...:rolleyes:

mr.aufziehvogel
11-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I think this is all nonsense.

EVERY console had problems at the launch.

segas dreamcast had exactly the same problem at the launch in japan.

sony's ps2 had a defect dvd drive at the launch in japan.

sony's psp had dead pixels on the display in japan (and even here in europa).

that's not a microsoft problem, thats a problem for every console. i bet ps3 will have exactly the same problems (a few ps3 will overheat)

Stonepilot
11-24-2005, 04:35 PM
that's weird we baught over 60 360s at work noo one reported a problem. I'm happy with mine haven't had a problem with it. Feels good to be able to play Call of Duty2 on the coach instead of on a chair infront of my pc.

PhilOsirus
11-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I think this is all nonsense.

EVERY console had problems at the launch.

segas dreamcast had exactly the same problem at the launch in japan.

sony's ps2 had a defect dvd drive at the launch in japan.

sony's psp had dead pixels on the display in japan (and even here in europa).

that's not a microsoft problem, thats a problem for every console. i bet ps3 will have exactly the same problems (a few ps3 will overheat)

Nintendo usually does not end up with such problems tho.

Womball
11-24-2005, 08:05 PM
that's weird we baught over 60 360s at work noo one reported a problem. I'm happy with mine haven't had a problem with it. Feels good to be able to play Call of Duty2 on the coach instead of on a chair infront of my pc.

Where is this you work? :surprised

io-d
11-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Let´s just e-mail Atari and comand then to re-release the Atari 2600... It´s the most stable game system ever....

Although They need to make a better joystick...

pgp_protector
11-25-2005, 01:59 PM

(laughs enigmatically)

Ever use a PSP ? You have to patch / upgrade to play some games.

Started at 1.50, now up to 2.50 :D

devin
11-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I think that it's interesting that MS is getting busted about a few bad systems just only days after launch. Sony's first gen systems for both PS's had major problems that Sony pretty much denied despite how many ppl voiced their issues, esp. with the PS2's disc read failures. The PS1 had overheating issues. After getting burned in both instances I've sworn never to buy first gen. hardware again, esp. from Sony.

MaDSheeP
11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Amen Devin =)

/Waiting to buy mine until next summer...
//Needs HDTV

Frank Lake
11-25-2005, 09:00 PM
//Needs HDTV
AMEN! That's probably the ONLY reason to have such a TV when you don't have sat or cable. :buttrock:

windarr
11-25-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm not a fan of any of the game companies in particular, so I think I can say with some level of fairness that to judge a companies hardware by their first run is pretty stupid. Those that think this is the undoing of MS and are backing Sony, seem to be forgetting that Playstation 2 came out with a number of it's own issues, as well as PSX, and very recently the LCD problems with the PSP. I don't recall issues with the first X-Box but I'm sure they were there too. Now granted Nintendo may have ironed out most if not all of their bugs before launch but I think we can agree that Nintendo hasn't exactly been cutting edge technolgy wise the last couple of iterations, which is just an indication they took their time to do it right, but bottom line is that the industry has become very competitive and if you don't get your system out the door first and establish your base then you may end up being cast to the side by the gaming audience. Few companies are willing to risk that besides maybe Nintendo. As time goes on we as the gaming public become more accustomed to this level of service, if you don't like this kind of attitude towards a release of hardware the only way to fight it is to resist the urge to buy.

PhantomDesign
11-26-2005, 08:19 AM
I've had ASUS motherboards be defective 2x in a row (third time is a charm??). Defects will exist - the question is "How common & what types?"

rebo
11-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Heh I had to run my playstation1 upside down for 2 years to get it to work.

cgtalkiest
11-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Listen, I saw the 360's instability for myself at BestBuy. The games were showing untextured objects, there was massive slowdowns and when I would press the menu button it wouldn't show up until 20 seconds later. Microsoft rushed this to be first and like always didn't care about anything but the bottom line. I knew Xbox live was dangerous. Why take a product that works when you can take out a half-assed product that will get "patched" later. Sony is no better, but I have more faith in them than ms. Nintendo is always pristine with their hardware, comes form experience.

every problem u listed there is a developer problem. nothing to do with microsoft at all.

cgtalkiest
11-26-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm not surprised. It's a freaking PC in box (which by the way looks like some cheap custom mod pc case). The untextured objects and slowdowns are all common problems in an overheated PC or bad video card capacitors. Plus, it's Microsoft!

the noobs are in full force today!

cgtalkiest
11-26-2005, 12:33 PM
I work for EA, and we have specifically been told by SONY, never to test the ps2's standing upright.

They MORE than HALVE the life of the ps2 by being played upright. Again, i must state that we were told by SONY that we MUST test with them laying flat.

What a pile of s**t sony are. Yet they still marketed it as a console which could be played upright. If any of you have got a ps2 laying around not working anymopre, now u know why.

I must admit though, i have noticed my 360 at work, does seem to be slightly more unstable when standing upright... Im not 100% if that is the reason. I also noticed more stability when turning on the console without any pads connected, and also when the power supply is left well ventilated.

Im just lucky iv got a 360 to test which i didnt pay for :p

11-26-2005, 01:27 PM
It's the PSU:
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0

"My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!"

Float your PSU and prevent the crash... Someone call Spiderman! :thumbsup:

Yes the noobs are in full force!
EGM Extra... Dare to Compare:

cgtalkiest
Frequenter
cgtalk
London, United Kingdom

King Jelly Belly

cgtalkiest
11-26-2005, 01:40 PM
It's the PSU:
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0

"My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!"

Float your PSU and prevent the crash! LOL

Yes the noobs are in full force!
EGM Extra... Dare to Compare:

cgtalkiest
Frequenter
cgtalk
London, United Kingdom

King Jelly Belly

lol. come on man... if thats how you do your research then i gotta triple check everything i read here. Does that mean.... IM A NEWB???! iv bin using cgtalk for years. maybe 2001?? im not sure..... think... what could that mean?..

11-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I work for EA, and we have specifically been told by SONY, never to test the ps2's standing upright.

What a pile of s**t sony are. Yet they still marketed it as a console which could be played upright. If any of you have got a ps2 laying around not working anymopre, now u know why.

lol. come on man... if thats how you do your research then i gotta triple check everything i read here. Does that mean.... IM A NEWB???!

I dunno know. I too have no idea how "triple checking everything I read here" means you're a NEWB.:shrug:

Anyway, I never understood the whole "noob" argument. Everyone knows that replying to post simply by calling them a "noob" is basically an insult. What's strange is when "noobs" actually use the "noobs" argument on old users (according to CGTalk, I've been here since 2002). What's more strange is when someone says he's been using something for years, but fails to realize he can't prove it. What's even more strange is an employee from EA calling SONY S##T! :thumbsup:

But nothing is stranger than having to tie up your xBox 360 PSU with strings! :buttrock:

JeroenDStout
11-26-2005, 02:36 PM
"Omg! LOLorz! U r such a N00b! ROFLWTFBBQ!"

*sigh*

cgtalkiest
11-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I dunno know. I too have no idea how "triple checking everything I read here" means you're a NEWB.:shrug:

Anyway, I never understood the whole "noob" argument. Everyone knows that replying to post simply by calling them a "noob" is basically an insult. What's strange is when "noobs" actually use the "noobs" argument on old users (according to CGTalk, I've been here since 2002). What's more strange is when someone says he's been using something for years, but fails to realize he can't prove it. What's even more strange is an employee from EA calling SONY S##T! :thumbsup:

But nothing is stranger than having to tie up your xBox 360 PSU with strings! :buttrock:

i dunno how i can prove iv been using cgtalk for years..... uuummm.... exposé 1 started in 2002 i belieeve, uuummmm, it actually used to have the cgtalk.com url.... uuummmm..... there used to be only 4 front page items.... damn this is hard..... they never used to have thumbnails in the gallery section.... and you never used to have to host your own images yourself..... anything else i say is liable to get me kicked out :p

anyway, whats strange about ea not liking sony?? i dnt like ea stratergies either... its a business assett, not a games company, i know that... but hey its the biggest in the wrld.. cnt fuk wit dat.

:) anyway on with the insults.. NOOB NOOB newbienewbie dooby dooby dooby dooooo

11-26-2005, 04:19 PM
i dunno how i can prove iv been using cgtalk for years..... uuummm.... exposé 1 started in 2002 i belieeve, uuummmm, it actually used to have the cgtalk.com url.... uuummmm..... there used to be only 4 front page items.... damn this is hard..... they never used to have thumbnails in the gallery section.... and you never used to have to host your own images yourself..... anything else i say is liable to get me kicked out :p

:) anyway on with the insults.. NOOB NOOB newbienewbie dooby dooby dooby dooooo

Yo! Stop writing and insulting yourself. You're the only one on this page that's a NOOBIE. And why do you write like that? It's like listening to the poser white boy in Chicago's South Side acting all black (and get shot at by gangs for being stupid). In this case, your words aren't hip, l33t, let alone comprehensible.

Vossil
11-26-2005, 04:28 PM
cgtalkiest, if you enjoy your job so much its probably not a good idea to slag off your employers or companies heavily affiliated with them, just a heads up.

Spriggan12
11-26-2005, 05:01 PM
of course systems will have a few problems at launch. For once there outside of there controlled environment. The end user or customer is the best place to test these devices.

Out of 3 million units being sold, I would say this is a good thing. How many of you still own cars or have cars or childrens toys thats still being recalled today?

Technology is a good thing but where is it written its an Absolute?

They'll fix the bugs after they hear what a few users have to say.

Its called Troubleshooting.

PhantomDesign
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Cgtalkiest has been banned numerous times & has come close to being banned on this account. I don't know why he doesn't just leave us in peace & pester 15 year olds on a video gaming forum.

heavyness
11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
first off, the PS2 was launched over 5 years ago. 5 years ago, blogs weren't infected through out the internet. just because someone signs up for a free blog and posts what they want doesn't make is news [at least creditable news].

are some 360s not working? sure. did some PS2 not work. yes. Sony only released half a million units on launch day for the PS2 [there was a problem with it and supplies got cut in half]. Target is getting 360 shipments every day. the EB Games i was at got 70+ the day after the launch day. also remember, we had to wait 7 months to get the PS2 in the USA. the whole world will be playing the 360 by the new year... not all gamers live in the USA.

also, it has the name Microsoft, so of course people are going to slam it and not give it a fair chance.

i've had mine up and running since i got it [i use it as my mp3 music player in my family room] and have has no problems.

Vossil
11-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Cgtalkiest has been banned numerous times & has come close to being banned on this account. I don't know why he doesn't just leave us in peace & pester 15 year olds on a video gaming forum.

Well he will have plenty of time to do that if his employers read his posts.:D

Bulldog
11-26-2005, 07:19 PM

The dude is just some loser game tester , dont be fooled with the "i work at EA" bs. Just a troll that'll be soon forgotten until he signs up again under a different nick.

mummey
11-26-2005, 07:20 PM

Exactly what I had in mind... (http://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=2766812)

I'm not going to judge this guy, but if I wanted to get an idea of the type of person he is, he has certainly posted enough times, just check the other posts/threads.

mummey
11-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm not gonna imply anything, but I've known game-testers who didn't even have a high-school education.

Vossil
11-26-2005, 07:32 PM
You shouldn't imply (not that you were :D ). I believe EA carry out IQ tests for their QA positions and they do perform a pretty vital role if given enough time, a lot of the testers I talked to there were very intelligent.

Sonk
11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
cgtalkiest, if you enjoy your job so much its probably not a good idea to slag off your employers or companies heavily affiliated with them, just a heads up.

I serious doubt he works for EA in any form or shape, ok,ok. he gets coffee for them everyday ;)

But serious, who types/talks like that? If he works for EA, i work for Sony :D . Beside i have had my PS2 for many years, both standingup and flat.

The XBOX360 crashing is very small, and its definitely due to PSU and many other small factors(i.e. bad internal layout?).

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 12:41 AM
sorry to break it to you guys, but i do work for EA. why would i lie about somehting like that, thats just rediculous. Ive only been working there for a short while and have already moved to doing microsoft certified testing for xbox and xbox 360 which is far more techinical.... anyway, im sure you guys have better things to do with your time, than discuss me..?? dont you???....

and btw Sonk, fine do what you want with ur ps2, if u wish to ignore information straight from sony. That joke about you being from sony seems slightly suspect...

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Yo! Stop writing and insulting yourself. You're the only one on this page that's a NOOBIE. And why do you write like that? It's like listening to the poser white boy in Chicago's South Side acting all black (and get shot at by gangs for being stupid). In this case, your words aren't hip, l33t, let alone comprehensible.

do you realise that comments like that are ignorant and racist? I was poking fun by that point, i apologise if i offended.. lets move on....:beer:

PhantomDesign: Do you work for the government??

Bulldog: Come on, that was a bit harsh

A-Catcher: My job is in no jeapordy for the commenst i wrote. I hardly even said anything. If saying 'I dont agree with EA's stratergies' seems to you like something people should get fired for, then you may have severe paranoia. P.S. My team leads, get on with me like a house on fire.

Mummey: If putting down those who are less well off then you gives you kicks, then carry on.

Everyone else: wtf?!

PhantomDesign
11-27-2005, 01:11 AM
PhantomDesign: Do you work for the government??
No, I work for your mom, and she says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 01:23 AM
No, I work for your mom, and she says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

wtf?! dont talk about my mom :cry:

mummey
11-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Mummey: If putting down those who are less well off then you gives you kicks, then carry on.

My comments were meant to be more of a reality check than anything else. This subject is getting old so I'm going to give a few suggestions to everyone:

If you are, or plan plan to be, in a cg-related industry, and post here:

1. Never assume that, just because you have not posted your name directly, that you are completely anonymous to everyone else in the forum. Your comments over time can point directly to you, and if that is not enough, this is the internet, if someone wanted to find out who you were and has cash, they can.

2. If you're going to 'bash' someone in a post, make it justified, and show some evidence to back up your rebuttals. We're trying to keep it civil here guys. How are the new guys ever supposed to figure out how to behave if we don't show a good example. :)

3. Never, EVER, under any circumstances, state any non-public details about your current employer. This is mostly just common sense. Not only may your current employer fire you for it, but, in addition, any future employers that just happened to read your post may not like the idea that you have the habit of giving out non-public info on web forums.

4. "I work for (insert big-name company name)." should NEVER come up in a post. If you're willing to state where you work on CGTalk, you would have already done it in your profile. Stating it in a post, however, sounds like one of two things:

You're bragging to everyone that you're working for a big-name company, or
You're trying to add credibility to your statements by implying you're "in the trenches".

Now, doing this may impress the newcomers to CGTalk, but you do so at the expense of the respect of the professionals that frequent this site. Why would they want to hear you brag about where you work?

There is one instance where its justified to notify someone. If you're asked by someone where you work, and are willing to tell that person but not everyone on CGTalk, you can send a private message. If you aren't comfortable telling anyone online, just simply say: "No, thanks."

I hope this information helps some of you here and keeps you from making comments you might later regret, have a good day. :cool:

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:45 AM

I don't think everyone that is complaining works for Sony. So far I have only heard from people who bought the system, nothing from Sony.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
So all this is based on is some forum member reporting crashes and a low rez screen shot and an iffy video. That's some reliable news right here... :rolleyes:
Not saying it's not true, but let's just wait a little until a more reliable source is reporting that people (notice the plural) are experiencing crashes.

Ahh, the Micro$oft PR machine at it's finest.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:49 AM

Yeah and according to them Sony also didn't put out some kind of software that makes their stuff invisible to the system, nope, no such thing as a rootkit, nope.. all just rumours.

Heh...

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Consider: if they haven't succeeded, it's only because they're not alone in this pursuit.

Fear not, Jack Thompson will stop them. Especially if MS tries to use naked prostitutes to take over the world.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Everyone calm down.
The majority of the 360 units work find. Only 1 or 2% of the total # of units do not, and the way Microsoft has its production factories set up, they can quickly find out were the faulty unit was produced, and fix the problem. If you think this is bad PR from Sony, they are not doing a very good job… The general consumer seems to not mind, as almost all 360’s are out of stock EVERYWERE, and the word is, the general consumer will not be able to get one till 2006…

Yes everyone.. none of us is as smart as you. We are all going to have heart attacks because as you observed on your secret cameras in all our houses we can't possibly say anything negative about MS and not be frothing at the mouth...

I hate people who patronize me. Personally I love the demo of Call of Duty 2 running at Wal Mart and might have bought one if they had decided to actually ship enough of them. But I also wonder if I have to buy a super duper monitor to look good.

I'll wait for PS3 maybe to come out and see what kind of games and problems it has.

Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me how some people post information about potential consumer problems with a product and others shoot them down for it.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Deliberate shortages are really no longer a worthwhile tactic. Although It may increase hype, it's average people that are making big bucks from the shortage of 360's. Check Ebay, I saw a unit sell for $2400 yesterday.

If that is true, then one must seriously wonder why MS would start selling the XBox 360 before they had enough to meet the demand. After all MS keeps telling us how great it is, why on earth would they not come out when it had an ample supply of them?

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:57 AM

In all fairness I have had lots of different PC Cases and it don't look cheap at all.

MrPositive
11-27-2005, 06:58 AM
*Steps into thread*
*Looks around for a second, Thanks himself for not buying a 360 until the second version hits*
*Steps back out of thread*

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:00 AM
ROFL!! :scream: dude... u just sent me on a trip down the memory lane... aaaah... the good ol' days...

Here's nostalgia for you. (http://www.vintagefunworld.com)

noisewar
11-27-2005, 07:00 AM
I don't anything about PR machines, but I did a little survey last night of the different polls on the internet across many sites and forums, and the average defect rate is 15%-30% consistently. While I believe it's not representative of the actual number, prolly being much higher, even 5% is a significant amount. What's more is that these problems are easily reproduceable, which I guess is a good thing too since you can find out how to avoid them as well.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:01 AM
I've had my 360 on and running for about 60 hours now and not one problem. I've been playing games online and off and have even been using the system to watch HDTV through Windows MCE. So I gotta say those experiences with the malfunctions are probably rare...

One also has to take into account that some of these people might be stuffing their 360's in a tight non-ventilated cabinet or something similar. Any electronic device is bound to fail some if it overheats.

Pixarman

Cool.. perhaps it is just a batch of bad components.. they had like 1700 different suppliers didn't they?

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:03 AM

Pixarman

You know, come to think of it, the demo 360 at the local Wal Mart is always on and each time I dropped by someone was playing the CODII demo.. it's installed inside a locked game case in a little nook and I have to wonder how good the ventilation is, and never saw it lock up. Maybe I should buy the display model when they get some more in.

Heh..

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Just fyi MorituriMax, you can quote multiple people in a single post... Just use [quote ] tags.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Amen Devin =)

/Waiting to buy mine until next summer...
//Needs HDTV

Amen. Me too.. reminds me of the comedian who said how all his friends told him to buy DVDs when they first came out... the image and sound quality were Awesome! Then he said without a DVD player they sucked.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:07 AM

Yep.. or are they phanboys? I almost expected him to sign off with "All Ur BAseS R BElOng to uS!"

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:09 AM

Yo peeps, give props to his mad skillz. Or else he'll take you to his Grill and rearrange your hood.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:11 AM
I'm not gonna imply anything, but I've known game-testers who didn't even have a high-school education.

Damn! I have to have a high-school education to play games?

Shoot... heh

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:13 AM
I serious doubt he works for EA in any form or shape, ok,ok. he gets coffee for them everyday ;)

But serious, who types/talks like that? If he works for EA, i work for Sony :D . Beside i have had my PS2 for many years, both standingup and flat.

The XBOX360 crashing is very small, and its definitely due to PSU and many other small factors(i.e. bad internal layout?).

I think I know why the PSUs are a factor in some crashes.. whats happening is that the mini warp gate to Hell that is mounted next to the PSU is fluctuating and reversing it's ionic polarity. This is due to the Lord of Hell (tm) not being happy with the skill level of potential customers to his domain who kill all those germans in COD II.

8 )

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Dude...Seriously...There's an edit button...there're quote tags... I don't think continually quadruple-posting is helping your case any...

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:14 AM
sorry to break it to you guys, but i do work for EA. why would i lie about somehting like that, thats just rediculous. Ive only been working there for a short while and have already moved to doing microsoft certified testing for xbox and xbox 360 which is far more techinical.... anyway, im sure you guys have better things to do with your time, than discuss me..?? dont you???....

and btw Sonk, fine do what you want with ur ps2, if u wish to ignore information straight from sony. That joke about you being from sony seems slightly suspect...

"why would i lie about somehting like that?"

Okay, for that logic to ring true, we need to know what you WOULD lie about. So far we have no way of knowing how you prioritize your untruths or who you would lie to and who you wouldn't.

Care to enlighten us?

8 )

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:16 AM
do you realise that comments like that are ignorant and racist? I was poking fun by that point, i apologise if i offended.. lets move on....:beer:

Everyone else: wtf?!

Calling someone a noob is racist?

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 07:17 AM
...*sigh*
Well, I tried. :shrug:

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Just fyi MorituriMax, you can quote multiple people in a single post... Just use [quote ] tags.

What kidn of memory do you think I have? I certainly am not going to write down the content of several pages or jump back and forth.. I guess I have never ever seen anybody do that here anywhere in any of the threads good thing you clued me into the big secret.

:bowdown:

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Dude...Seriously...There's an edit button...there're quote tags... I don't think continually quadruple-posting is helping your case any...

Wow.. seeing as how I am not trying to make a case... amazing how you just jump right to the center of something that doesn't exist.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:22 AM

And for your information I never quoted the same thing 4 times. Might want to check your own facts before you start your stupid little crusades. Why have you posted 1800+ times? can't you come in once a month and post everything at once for the last month?

Hmmmmm?

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 07:23 AM
How about having two pages open at the same time, and copy and paste? It's really not that hard...
And quadruple-posting is not repeating the same post, it's making 4 posts right in row. You actually got up to 5, maybe more, back there.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:24 AM
How about having two pages open at the same time, and copy and paste? It's really not that hard...

How about getting a life and stop trying to live mine? I didn't ask for your opinion.

Now on to better things instead of ignorant busy body dressdowns.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:26 AM
And quadruple-posting is not repeating the same post, it's making 4 posts right in row. You actually got up to 5, maybe more, back there.

Oh My God! ! ! ! ! ! ! You mean I posted some posts in a row? I actually come on at a certain time in the day today and responded all at once instead of waiting for a week between em? Why didn't you waiti till I was done and criticize me all at once instead of all those seperate shots at me.

Unlike you of course who couldn't wait to get in with nothing better than criticizing someone for posting on topic?

WOW!

-Vormav-
11-27-2005, 07:26 AM
How about getting a life and stop trying to live mine? I didn't ask for your opinion.
It's not an opinion, it's a suggestion. Frankly, having to read a full page of someone's single-line posts is damned annoying. But whatever, you're clearly losing it, so I'll just step out of this one.
Quite the little temper you have there.

PhantomDesign
11-27-2005, 07:27 AM
This thread is getting a little too much on the personal-level, lets keep it light everyone! :beer:

EDIT: Eeek! I sound like a MOD - please no - I don't have the time!

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:29 AM

Better be careful, you have three posts in one day in Mental Ray Shader Discussion.. instead of just one... can't you edit?

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 07:30 AM
This thread is getting a little too much on the personal-level, lets keep it light everyone! :beer:

I tried but he seemed to have a bug up his butt... and with his three posts in ONE day in an earlier forum on the 25th.. well some people just can't seem to follow their own "suggestions."

Thanks for the reality check. I'll just ignore him from now on.. oh god now I have another post... sob..

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 10:04 AM
what a thread :surprised

a lot of rude people in here trying to tell others whats what... bloody hell... some people around here are actling like they own cgtalk.... uuh phantom design uuuuh vormav......

how about we just let everybody say thier piece, just like the forum title suggests.... without all you guys trying to ruine someones career or justify their existence......

cant believe i was gonna start off this post by trying to prove that i work at EA... Forget you lot.. too many issues.... Just gonna go in 2moro and play battlefield 360 on my xbox :)

Sonk
11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
this thread officailly sucks! It went downhill after mummey great post.

i get a feeling that cgtalkiest and MorituriMax are the same person ;) ?

I know people with less talent than me,that have a job in the gaming industry..so anything is possible.

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 11:38 AM
hey, A-Catcher,

Do you work at criterion?? or lionhead??? I see you work in guildford. Youre right round the corner from us!! heeeeeey! brother!! lol...

I gotta travel 2 hours a day each way to get there :sad: i bet u live round the corner to your place....

EDIT: sorry but me and morituri are not the same person..... BUT i like his style:scream:

cgtalkiest
11-27-2005, 11:47 AM

dude, i got high school education, sixth form education, and a university degree from Brunel. Is that ok? Am i part of the '1337' CG group now?

Thats pretty sickening the way you said that. People that think like you lead to segregation and prejudice.

I know i should maybe have a better job with a degree, but guess what, life is hard and things arent always as clear cut as they should be.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 01:33 PM
this thread officailly sucks! It went downhill after mummey great post.

i get a feeling that cgtalkiest and MorituriMax are the same person ;) ?

Make sure you don't trust your feelings in a life or death situation.. you would die.

What's hilarious is even if I followed that ignorant stalkers suggestion and posted all in one post, it would have been just as long a post.

And between you and the stalker, not one post you all cluttered the thread with from my post on had anything at all to DO with the thread.. do you think wasting all that space because you are anally attentive to how people post in a public forum is a positive thing?

If you ignore the stalker I thought I made quite a few reasonably quirky observations.. or are you and the stalker the same person? Maybe if you and him remove the bug up your butts we can go back to what we were talking about, and what you and him have been too busy posting like anal babysitters to contribute to, namely the topic of the thread, XBox 360 stuff...

Like the guy earlier said, I'm going to try and ignore you and your anal fanbuddies and maybe we can get back to xbox 360 stuff here..

RobertoOrtiz
11-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Enough!

-r