PDA

View Full Version : final render blurry metal test

lllab
11-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

i finally had some time to test the great FR2, i made a very fast testscene in the style of one rendering in the maxwell gallery, that is a little more complex in polycount and materials. to test how FR copes with it.

i know its quite cold mood, but it is for testpurose only and i wanted to see how FR copes with lot of reflections, blurry reflections gi light etc.

it uses only the physical sky, no other lights.

i must say it came out quite good. fr rendered the scene in about 4 minutes on 800px with (DR on 4 machines with a CB of ca 1750), AR took ages to render the same with similar materials+GI.( i stopped it before it finished)

next i want to try to do an animationtest with camera and light change.

if it is wanted i could share the scene, i am sure there is a lot of room for improvements of the settings. might be fun to do public tests together here?

cheers
stefan

rsquires
11-23-2005, 11:53 AM
It's gorgeous.

Is the cinebench of the 4 machines 1750 or each machine?

regards

rich

lllab
11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks- its 4 machines together with DR. but it feels like one machine as you dont "see" the DR if you dont ant to. its just more buckets rendering at the same time.

cheers
stefan

STRAT
11-23-2005, 12:09 PM
yup, i havent had more than 10 mins in fr2 yet as im too busy, but i have tested the dr with 10 separate pc's all connected up to one render. complete madness it was :scream:

AdamT
11-23-2005, 01:41 PM
It is such a luxury to use bucket rendering even for test renders. The only downside is that it's making me want to add another X2 machine to my little render garden (not quite a farm :)).

lllab
11-23-2005, 02:06 PM
rendergarden:-) thats good!

yes i feel the same. initially i wanted to buy a dual275 in jan.06. but maybe it is enough to buy 2 X2 extra and use them for DR?

cheers
stefan

STRAT
11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
i'm lucky in work here, i got use of several dual xeons if needs be :o

AdamT
11-23-2005, 02:17 PM
The new Quad-Mac's are awfully impressive at around 1100 CB. Never thought I'd be jealous of a Mac's performance numbers. :)

lllab
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
a 275opteron has 1300cbs!

thats my dreambabe:-)
stefan

JDP
11-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Very nice lllab. I'd be interested in having a go with that scene.

It is such a luxury to use bucket rendering even for test renders. The only downside is that it's making me want to add another X2 machine to my little render garden (not quite a farm :)).

Same here, have been already looking.

Ph0n33z
11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
*drops jaw................

WOW! That is by far the nicest, most stylistic, cleanest, most beautiful arch interior rendering outside of maxwell I have ever seen!

I would absolutely love to see that scene file if you would not mind. Amazing work my friend,
its jaw dropping! MAXWELL.......HERE WE COME!

sketchbook
11-23-2005, 05:20 PM
just amazing for 4 minutes and wow. hope the mac version comes out soon!

belushy
11-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Congratulations realy great settings

DR is unbeatable and the needed gardens a must have
Just great
Now rendering makes fun

lllab
11-23-2005, 06:06 PM
"www.laublab.com/downloads/PL05_02 lichtanimFR_CGTalk.rar" (copy paste link)

for those who wish to try themselves,

please publish your changed files too, or the changed settings so that all of us can learn a bit from it.
and please only use it for this cgtalk fr testpurpose.

cheers
stefan

p.s.: thanks all, FR is really great:-)
the image i posted above has one of my psd actions applied
(contrast & colorcorrection, grain, no other editing)

Ph0n33z
11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
:applause::applause::applause:

We are all endebted to you LLAB. We can all learn a lot from your work.

Quick question, would it be possible to show the render before your PS postwork?
I love the grain you added because it gives non-maxwell renders that realisitic maxwell-ish look! Could you possibly share? If not, I cimpletely understand!

;)

lllab
11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
hmm, no the psd actions i developed over long time, to be honest i dont want to share those...

but its no miracle to do similar, parts of it is just autolevels, curve- balance, partly colorcorrection, and the add niose filter, and very little bloom. i compiled them in some versions into psd actions. i guess it is easy to recreate,

the original image you see if you render the file;-), but it is not dramatically different.

cheers
stefan

rizon
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
my god, i am impressed! 4minutes ????? so that makes it animata-ble.. me want FR fast (mac)!

I saw maxwell renders of this scene too, they are awesome!

Canadianboy
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
great results man.. cant wait to see alittle animation

belushy
11-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Just wanted to give a speed trial
but somehow there sems to be to much polys in this scene for fr2
got 2gb ram but still got no solution to get it going unless i turn some of the heavypolygon counting objects off

sombody else with similar problems

cheers
belushy

sketchbook
11-24-2005, 06:18 AM
that sucks. all my scenes are HEAVY on poly count.

AdamT
11-24-2005, 06:35 AM
There are several sections of the manual that talk about optimizing for different kinds of scenes, e.g., poly heavy, object heavy, etc. I think most of that comes under the Raytracing settings. I haven't had time to experiment with it yet.

belushy
11-24-2005, 09:13 AM
The problems are with the Raytrace accelerator settings

i turned the
"Faces" up to 200
Min Depth 1
max Depth 60
Balance 2

know it works
but still there is a lot of tuning to do

belushy
11-24-2005, 09:18 AM
i used the console messages to find solution for the MSP meory problems
quite usefull

there are more values which i have to learn how to interpret

belushy

lllab
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
did somebody test the scene? did it work?
would be interesting to me.

cheers
stefan

FantaBurky
11-26-2005, 01:02 PM
OMG, what the.... how come just these last couple of days stuff made with FR has been shown? I had almost not heard a thing before this, and it turns out to be (for me) the best thing thats ever happened to C4D :eek:. I wish I had started saving earlier pff, mabye I should ask me mom for some money hehe :rolleyes: :twisted:

Just seeing stefan and Adam's first tests using it makes me wonder what you can achieve when being more experienced with it. BTW, does it work outside of C4D? Like Maxwell, or? Can't think of it being inbuilt, that would just be weird (would take too much work, wouldnt it?)

dann_stubbs
11-26-2005, 02:55 PM
OMG, what the.... how come just these last couple of days stuff made with FR has been shown? I had almost not heard a thing before this, and it turns out to be (for me) the best thing thats ever happened to C4D

that is because it just started shipping last friday.

http://www.finalrender.com

have a peek.

dann

belushy
11-26-2005, 03:00 PM
But somehow it took ages.

had a lot to change on the memory settings
but had no time to go on
will get back to it on Tuesday
but thanks for sharing it gave me some huínts how to use this beast

I#m still working on 9.52 and have no problems so far exept with some glas material
I think it takes some time to learn eh use of this shader trees somehow i find myself in losing control of the materials

still fighting
belushy

AdamT
11-26-2005, 03:15 PM
BTW, does it work outside of C4D? Like Maxwell, or? Can't think of it being inbuilt, that would just be weird (would take too much work, wouldnt it?)
It's fully integrated into Cinema, and yes, I'm sure it was a lot of work. Cebas did a great job with it.

Apparently there will be some interoperability with fR-2 for Maya when that's released, but I'm not sure how that will work.

FantaBurky
11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the link dann.

It's fully integrated into Cinema, and yes, I'm sure it was a lot of work. Cebas did a great job with it.

Apparently there will be some interoperability with fR-2 for Maya when that's released, but I'm not sure how that will work.
WOW. Now that definatly settles it. Gotto get $695.00 fast :bounce: Hope its worth it :P.

lllab
11-27-2005, 08:44 AM
"Hope its worth it"

...it is:-)

cheers
stefan

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2005, 08:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.