PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting Alien World

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi folks,

Well I wanted to share some of my visions with you guys and perhaps ask you guys what you think so far of the matte painting sketch that I'm currently working on.

I recently baught the Techniques of Dylan Cole : Introduction to Landscape Matte Painting from the Gnomon Workshop. And on the DVD I have access to the same "Photography Plates" that Dylan works on in the dvd.

I decided to give it a shot and so far I think it's coming along great but I'm sure it needs improvement. Maybe you guys can see things that I'm currently not seeing. If there are any pro matte painters out there please let me know what you think guys. I'm really enjoying this new art form and I'd like to push this craft as far as I can in order to be a future matte painter.

I have to say that in this First out of three DVDs, Dylan Teaches more the importance of how to nail down your colors and composition...it's working with light and shade and atmospheric perspective. So it's more of a Digital Matte painting landscape sketches approach rather than High-Rez matte painting finishes...(this is in the 3 Rd DVD). Anyway I'm stating this because what I have done here so far is respecfully following the Dylan Coles DVD so it's a sketch approach that I'm trying to push as far as I can.

What I'm going for over here is a dessert scene on an Alien world. I got this jet flying to the sky in the background and want to add this Chasm and maybe some buildings on each side of the chasm...I got a few images to show you guys on here (work in progress matte painting and a sketch idea for the city).

But first here is the original plate from Dylon Coles DVD...

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Here are 3 more updates from the Matte paintings I'm working on.

Here I hand painted in the mountains, moon and asteroid belt around the planet/moon. I added a pavement texture on top of the moutains and moon to give it a little more texture to it and also to create some imperfections and trying to eliminate that airbrush feel that photoshop gives you when you paint in the colors. (neat trick from James Clyne DVD tutorial-Gnomon Workshop) :thumbsup:

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 06:29 AM
3 More updates on the matte paintings.

Here I was working on the smoke and dirt from the lift off of the jet/aircraft.
I added the smoke then the hight lights in color dodge mode.

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 06:34 AM
yeah here are some more updates for the matte that I'm working on.

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 06:38 AM
This is the sketch that I did for the High-Rize buildings that could be on the ' spike ' shapes.
I hope you guys can read it well.

Any comments, suggestions, questions or positive critics are welcomed.

Thanks for your time and don't be shy to reply. :D

SquishMe
11-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi there. Interesting work.
I think you could put a gradient on the ground, fading from blue to transparent to connect the ground to the sky more.

Look up "atmospheric scattering"

Example (http://static.redjupiter.com/images/infinitespire/rayleighcanyon.jpg)

Frwanque
11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
inTERREsting mabe the ring around the moon is a bit confusing, I was thinking it it was the Mountain you had Duplicated or Cloud.

I'm looking for more update

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi there. Interesting work.
I think you could put a gradient on the ground, fading from blue to transparent to connect the ground to the sky more.

Look up "atmospheric scattering"

Example (http://static.redjupiter.com/images/infinitespire/rayleighcanyon.jpg)

Thanks for telling me that info Squish. I will add that gradiant to my work from now on :D Thanks to you ! :thumbsup:

jcdlr
11-23-2005, 07:52 PM
inTERREsting mabe the ring around the moon is a bit confusing, I was thinking it it was the Mountain you had Duplicated or Cloud.

I'm looking for more update

Yeah I understand now why it is confusing. I did not duplicate the moutain or cloud. What I did is I repainted the same pattern in those huge chunks of rocks ( the ones that end with a long horizontal 'spike') and I did that for composition issues... I wanted to bring the viewers eye back to the aircraft. I will have to tweak that a little bit. Thanks for the Info :thumbsup:

SquishMe
11-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks for telling me that info Squish. I will add that gradiant to my work from now on :D Thanks to you ! :thumbsup:

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to yor updates. :thumbsup:

Stratboy531
11-30-2005, 12:13 AM
I think a smoother transition from the blurry blue backdrop and the desert-like area would be better, but otherwise it's looking pretty good.

djtrousdale
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm dumb... what is a matte painting?
Does it just mean it's traditional rather than digital?

jcdlr
12-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm dumb... what is a matte painting?
Does it just mean it's traditional rather than digital?

The art of Matte painting is basically painting on top of a Photo. Adding elements to the environment. Now today they do this with the computer but turn the clock back 30-40 years ago...they actually painted those elements on a big sheet of glass that was putted in front of the camera lens and between the actors...results are MOVIE MAGIC lol ;)

jcdlr
12-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi guys,

Ok here is an opdate on the sketch. it's not much but I tweaked the Atmospheric scattering a little bit. I mage has more blue in the ground....not much but it's there.

Well that's about it ...I'll rework the Exhaust debris to make it look more like a Liftoff then an explosion coming out of the ground.

Have a nice week

Jean Claude :thumbsup:

Isatche
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
It looks interesting :thumbsup:
I would just pay more attention to balance of complete scene. Everything is on the left side.
I would also move that asteroid moon away from those mountains because it looks confusing...
Keep up good work!

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.