PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique this Portrait

damdischink
11-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Hello everyone,

first drawing post. Would love to better my art so, C & C are very welcome and appreciated.

The Left pix is obviously pencil drawing; then brought into photoshop to color. The middle pix is the original that I copy from. She's a very cute friend of mine.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/damdischink/Nina-post-edit.jpg

Gmax
11-22-2005, 08:06 AM
It looks very well indeed! I think you've really captured her personality. The pencil linings still shine through, though, so more paint and more details is my recommendation :)

Zephyri
11-22-2005, 02:33 PM
This pretty impressive for a first post! I like the fact you're working of a pencil drawing too. You've done a pretty good job of capturing the basics of what is in the photo, and the hair is a nice way of changing it. As far as C & C goes, I would perhaps go into a bit more detail on certain area of the face, like the nose, and maybe try to soften the mouth a little... the very dark line where her lips meet is making it look a bit harsh. For the highlights in her hair, try using a more saturated colour, like a palish pink or red, (if you look at the highlights on the pic, even they have a hint of pink purple about them). Also try blocking in hair a little more and use the small pixel brush less, which will give a more volumous, soft look. If you take a look in the tutorials section of this site, there are a couple of really good hair tutorials.

Other than that, it's a great start! Keep up the good work.

dredsign
11-22-2005, 03:27 PM
the skintone is really good! nice work! i agree with the other posts > more detail would certainly improve the picture

audit
11-22-2005, 05:42 PM
it's good! the painting does a lot for the line work. I would try and include more colour in the skintone: the highlight on the nose is definitely quite strong, and cold (blue). The lower left side (her left) is much warmer, rather orange. Also I think you may have overdone the highlight on the lips a bit? I feel they need some more shadow, too. As for the hair, Zephyri has said it all - it does look a bit stringy, which can be fixed by painting blocks of colour to which some detail can then be added. I recommend Linda Bergkvist's tutorial for hair tips (it's still on the front page under tutorials).
anyhow, nice post!

damdischink
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Gmax (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=171565)-

Thank you so much for your kind respond. I will see what I can do about it.

Zepyhri (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=157196)-

My bad, I should rephrase that to first art post in CG.

U and Gmax both said more details - hmmm, at first, I wasn’t intended to make much of detail of the portrait, just sketch paint it. Since yall suggested, I’ll take yall’s word.

A lot of thanx for taking your time to respond. I will do my best to better this piece.

dredsign (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=104441)-

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, I also agree with others too.

audit (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=194413)-

I was trying to add glossy to her lips but I guess it doesn’t quite work. Gonna work on that part. Yea, the hair do dook look stringy like all of you said, I will work on that too. I have seen that tutorial by Linda already, it’s a bad ass tutorial indeed. Appreciated your suggestion, will see what I can Do about it.

I will work on it more tonight when I’m home from school.

kyphur
11-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I agree with Audit about the skintones a lot. You're hitting pretty decent with the lighting setup and getting it really close. One main thing that's getting me is that your lighting down her nose is too in the center. I think you should push the highlight and shadow over a bit more.

(a few minutes later)

I did a repaint for you really quick with what I'm talking about. If you're not cool with me doing this just PM me or hit me up on ICQ and I'll take it down ASAP. If you have any questions just ask. :)

It's not anything great, just something to show what I'm talking about. I hope it makes sense.

Kyph

yulias
11-23-2005, 12:35 AM
this is fantastic! just one thing her forhead is a bit too wide compared to the photo, and her eyes are a bit smaller. other then that, great job!

Lunatique
11-23-2005, 07:31 AM
I got your PM requesting a critique.

It's hard to critique a piece like this, because it's more or less a simple practice piece for the sake of practicing likeness and rendering. The likeness seems pretty close, with the lips being slightly off. The rendering is adequate, but lacks life. Try laying on each brushstroke so that you don't blend the brushwork work away--show some of the marks of the bristle. Use larger brushes when painting larger areas, and use smaller brushes for smaller areas. For the hair--do the general shapes with a larger brush, and then add a bit of finer details with a smaller brush, instead of drawing tons of little lines--it looks messy and stiff when you do it that way.

Kyena
11-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Lovely exercise!

I am not going to repeat Robert's cc about brushes - I agree with him there.

The first thing I can see is that you need to push the highlights and shadows slightly, though she is lacking a tiny bit more in the highlight area.
Try to take that composition you posted into Photoshop, desaturate it and compare the ref and your exercise. You will see what I mean (it's very subtle but it will make her come to life more).

Try to make the lighter parts a bit more yellowish (but only very subtle). Right now you have very monochromatic skin colors going on.
Also - I noticed you used black for the shadow around her nose and nostrils. Skin on skin creates always very saturated shadows. That means you are always better off with a dark saturated red (or skin color variation for that matter) then using black. This applies specially to the parts I just mentioned and also the line between lips or fingers for example.

Good go on the purple highlights in her hair but you might want to tone down a bit ;)
Specially for hair it is important to start big with brushes (just what Robert already mentioned).

damdischink
11-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Just finish this a moment ago. Took a long time to re-edit = about 3 ˝ hrs. It’s all about trial and errors. I place the old version vs new version for an easier comparision.

Here is the descriptions of what I did,,,, ummmm, I almost forgot that we’re visual people, it’s good enough with the art itself.

Kyena

Thank you so much for your input. U sure did help out a lot. “Skin on Skin always create a saturated color” = very true, I like that.

Lunatique

Appreciate the u took the time to crit this. The hair is right on with the suggestion. Your brutally honest critique has help a lot, thank you. hehe

Yulias-

thanks for the delightful comments. U are right with the eyes are bigger than the photo. I like big eyes, so I usually draw them a lil bigger than normal.

Kyphur

U even took the time to draw it out for me to see it better, how nice is that!? Appreciated that all right. Got the suggestion across, already done J. “I hope it make sense” = it completely does; I understand visual much better than words.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR TIME

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/damdischink/Tu%20Art/Nina-post-edit3.jpg

Lunatique
11-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Much better. The hair looks quite nice now. That's one of the fastest improvements I've seen--good job!

Kyena
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
wow - what an improvement!
It's great to actually see someone use the cc given :)
I wouldn't have used lilaish highlight on the skin but it works nice.
Don't forget to add that shade to the tip of her nose too. If you change the highlight color (which basically means you have a colored lightsource) you need to add the same hint to the eye (eyeball color and the highlights over the iris). This can be pretty tricky though - don't overdo :)

Looking beautiful now :thumbsup:

Zephyri
11-24-2005, 12:30 PM
wow! alll those hints that you took on board have turned this into something quite special! I love the hair now, the highlight colour you used really gives it life, especially with the browny colour you used lower down too. Lovely! You've resolved the balance of the mass of her face too, which really helps the believability of the whole thing. Great improvements... now get to starting another piece! Or maybe adding some embellishments to this? Turning her into some kind of fantasy character? Either way, great start.

kyphur
11-24-2005, 04:05 PM
damdischink> No problem, it only took me a few minutes to do. The finished peice you just posted has come a long way from your original post and the fact that you took all the crits and came through with such a large step is impressive.

The only thing that is bothering me is that "end" of the hair. It's still really blocky but I'm taking this last post of yours as a continuation of your work in progress. Also the shadow under the nose seems a bit light (from what I can remember from the picture you had), maybe darken it up just a tad. The image seems to lack just a little bit to give it depth which you can achieve by pressing its values a bit more.

So far you're nailing it down though and I can't wait to see more.

Just keep rockin' it up and you'll have a very top notch piece.

Kyph

damdischink
11-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks everybody for the encouraging respond. I had lots of fun while learned so much when in the process of re-edit the piece. Though, I'm tire of looking at this piece for the moment because I have been starring at it for hours already with a smile on my face of how I improve. So I'll move on to the next one.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 06:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.