PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they have 2d contests?

forsh
02-27-2002, 05:16 AM
I always see 3d model/render contests......whats up with having a 2d contest?

Pedro
02-27-2002, 07:57 AM
I believe the monthly WIP challenges include 2d entries too.

Taoizm
02-27-2002, 08:10 AM
yup, it's open to 2D artwork as well. Last time the requested format was a character sheet. Although a really nice piece would probably work as well.

Sangotten
02-27-2002, 03:38 PM
I think the problem is that a lot of 2D artist's do not really dare to compete in the Challenges on CG talk because of the large amount 3D, which has a scary effect. It's like "Woooo! those 3D models are much better looking and detailed then my drawings, I could never compete with those guys". Only the peeps who make a detailed-2D-color-image can make a chance in taking on the 3D modelers. I believe that 2D needs a chance for it is the underdog of CG talk, just look at the number of threads at the 2D forum and those of the 3D forum, there's a big difference.
I think it would be a great idea to hold a challenge only for (cg) 2D, I tried to start one (metal gear solid challenge here on CG talk) but never got much attention.

forsh
02-28-2002, 02:28 AM
I'm not intimidated, they should widen the contests to encompass the 2d people too. The current one is all about 3d from what I read.

lildragon
02-28-2002, 04:26 AM
Let me clarify, the contest/challenges are open to all mediums, whether it be 3D, 2D, or clay for that matter, if you have the talent you will definitely get noticed in any medium, for instance Bobotheseal and system404 both got their 2d works posted on the front page of CG channel, where as they had maybe 3 3D models out of the bunch...

most of the 3D models derived from concept sketches and were brought into 3D reality, so don't believe that 2D isn't important, it's VERY IMPORTANT, take a look at this http://www.cgchannel.com/news.php?news_id=698 awesome 2D artist that came rather close in all votes, everyone here respects a solid 2D design as much as their 3D counterparts, believe me they go hand in hand...

[edit]P.S. if you guys want I can show you numerous challenge threads with concept 2D art, it's there ;)[/edit[

cheers

marioucci
02-28-2002, 06:14 AM
yep. and remember, rodiņo got an amazing 2nd place with photoshop work!!
but i would like to see separate challenges or maybe just separate ranking for 2d and 3d....

marioucci
02-28-2002, 06:16 AM
ups... sorry lildragon.. just saw your link:)

System404
03-02-2002, 12:44 AM
I like the fact that the challenges are open to 3d or 2d, because it makes it more a concept challenge rather than a technical one. When I entered this challenge i didn't thought about the 3d models i was going up against, i thought on the cool idea i had on my head. As long as your concept/idea is illustrated well, then you should be happy.
just because somebody does a 3d charater model doesn't mean that it is better than anything 2d. details, textures and lights can be done well in any 2d program, sometimes better than some 3d models showcased here.

check my february challenge entry:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2484

Ed Lee
03-04-2002, 05:34 AM
Well, I just don't have time to do either. And I do both 2D and 3D.

My feathers are ruffled when I hear like 2D artists are intimidated by 3D models. That shouldn't be the point. They both have a place in this creative field in my point-of-view. How about a 5D challenge? Same person does concept design and model it with choice of their soft? Ed--

www.edleeart.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.