PDA

View Full Version : CS1 problem?

Collember
11-22-2005, 04:15 AM
At work, we use at the moment Adobe CS 1

This problem i have only occurs on my computer, yet is faster than the other computers.

The problem is, Illustrator and Photoshop's interaction between eachother is slow, also, simple operations such as opening and new documents is slow, takes about 2 or 3mins just to bring up the dialog boxes.

When i was in college i remember using Photoshop CS1 for the first time, and thought it was rather slow, a few months ago i bought CS2 suite and its fine...so the problem must have been fixed.

However, at work i dont have the ability to upgrade the whole system, so im stuck with slow software, is there something i am missing?

i made the page file HUGE, and that hasnt done anything, we updated the mother board, v/card and it now has 2gb of server ram, so ram isnt an issue...

my productivity could be doubled if this problem was fixed.

please help :)

regards, Scott

Cocefi
11-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmmm... I encounter the slow-speed problem of creating new documents in Photoshop CS1 as well (around 10-20secs to create a new blank document, regardless of size).

But for some reasons it only happens when the other computers connected to the network are turned on. If only my computer is on, the speed problem just goes away. I'm not sure if this helps, but you could try disconnecting your workstation from the network (just pull the cable) and give it a go and see if the speed returns to normal. Can't gaurantee it'll work though... :)

jbw
11-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Admittedly I run PS7 at work with Illustrator 10 but...
If it's network related have you checked the workgroup server settings (in both Illustrator and Photoshop). Perhaps they're trying to make contact with a server that doesn't exist on the network? Mine both point to the 'my documents' folder on my machine.
I've had similar with 'My computer'. It had a mapped drive that didn't exist and would take about 2 mins to appear.
I've never used CS1 nor have I used workgroup servers but that would be job 1 on my list if I had this problem.
I would also get task manager up and see what activity happens with CPU, Ram, Network when this slowdown appears - I'm clutching at straws now. :)

Just out of interest how large are the files you're working with? Photoshop requires roughly 4-5 times the file size as ram to function well and if you've got illustrator & artwork open at the same time you might be killing your machine.

ta,
jbw

Collember
11-22-2005, 07:45 PM
most files are around 50 to 150mb, but if ur talking 4 - 5times the files size, 2gb ddr covers that. Sometimes we have 600mb files, but thats rare, i cant believe there are "graphic designers" out there who dont understand the concept of dpi, lol like a file that is 38000x15000 @ 72dpi as a 600mb file...i made it 10000xproportionate @ 150dpi, the file came down 150mb with just as much quality. So if any of u out there are graphic designs who make artowrk to be printed in wide format.....think about ur file size ;) u dont NEED a massive file to get detail in ur print...cus the likely thing is, ur print will be 5m in the air!!! lol

anyways, i think i will try ur suggestions today....we do run off a server, and it could be that they are creating new docs for the server...

thanks all :D

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.