PDA

View Full Version : mel speed

YourDaftPunk
11-21-2005, 11:08 PM
When I run a processor intensive script I noticed maya only uses 50% of the cpu power on my single processor p4. How can I use the rest? It would be tremendously helpful as I'm moving around a lot of particles.

-shawn

Robert Bateman
11-21-2005, 11:29 PM
mel's not exactly optimal. You could assign a higher priority to maya in your task-manager->processes (then right click on the maya.exe process). Upping it to above normal may give a bit more CPU time. Upping it to real time would make your system pretty much hang till maya has finished.

As for say HT P4's, you can't really get a second thread running for mel, so would always be at 50% on those CPU's. The only place multithreading comes into play is when Maya is rendering, by which time it should only be calling Compute() on the various nodes in the DG. You can of course start favouring connecting up rendering utilities all over the scene instead of using expressions, since a color blend will LERP 2 numbers, rather than doing it in script. Any DG nodes will be cached, safe for multithreading when rendering, and far faster than performing that single opp than any expression equivalent.

As for mel scripts, you really wouldn't want to start getting into the habit of locking half the data so thread A can process it, whilst thread B handles the second half of the scene now would you? any calls like ls would break fairly quickly....

YourDaftPunk
11-22-2005, 02:04 AM
I appreciate the fast reply. I guess I need to be looking at the api and C++ for a plug then :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 02:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.