PDA

View Full Version : assign a light to an object when render don`t work!

yolao
11-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi.

I wanted to assign an area ligfht that just iluminate the eyes, and to do that i select the face and i execute "break light links"....and just to check i select the area light and hit
"select objects ilumated by light" and yes i had just the eyes selected, i render this with
mental ray...the thing is that when i render the scene i do have the area light ilumated the face as well and not just the eyes...

and i try everything...make light links...and the break light links to the face, etc.

I made this before and before was everything fine...i even made some test in another scene with some poly forms and everything was perfect...i don`t know if in that scene i hit a wrong key or something but the break links light don`t work when i render...

Please any help is welcome and appreciate

thanks in advance

yolao
11-21-2005, 09:39 PM
please if anyone have at least some idea of what i have to do let me know....
i even start a new scene and import the maya file to clean the render settings in case i hit the wrong key...but nothing.....when i render all the lights render the entire scene...
but why in the perp. view when i select the area light and hit "select objects ilumated by light" everything is fine....but when i render that same light ilumate "EVERYTHING"..

and as i said before i made this in the past and everything was fine...i don`t know what`s wrong this time

please any suggestion is welcome

and sorry if i insist...but before i start this thread i try everything and i mean everything to make that work...i even have another diferent scene of a face that has everything right with the lights and i compare every setting and well i just don`t know what to do

LehaS
11-22-2005, 06:08 AM
i don`t know exactly the workaround for your problem sorry...the thing i heard (well.. read actually ;) ) about is that MR doesnt respect Maya`s break/make light links command....

in Mr you can directly connect shaders and lights... if you use native MR shaders than pay attention to Mode and Lights tabs .....

from MR manual

mode controls the meaning of the light list: all, inclusive, or exclusive. All is faster than inclusive, and inclusive is faster than exclusive.

lights is a list of light instances to loop over. If the mode is 0, use every light in the light list parameter. If the mode is 1, use all lights in the global light list that correspond to the lights in the light list parameter (inclusive mode). If the mode is 2, use all lights in the global light list that do not correspond to the lights in the light list parameter (exclusive mode).

Hope this helps ....never tried that myself though...its strange though that you say it was working but after some time it stopped....

yolao
11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks leha_sokol, yes it is weird the nature of this problem, the "break lights links" with this scene never worked but it work perfectly with another scenes...
But i finally solve the problem, in case anyone has the same problem here is what i did.

-i select the face and assign it to a layer.
-then i duplicate the face as a copy and delete the original one.
-finally i assign a new material to the face

and that way the lights works fine again. I don`t know if it was neccesary to assign a new material, but either way it works and i`m very happy.

thanks again leha_sokol

LehaS
11-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Did you render with MR this time?

Well the way you solved your problem can be explained by the fact that now you have your face as a separate geometry....

your workflow:
you duplicate the face as a copy and delete the original one ( so it means your new face is not the part of the original geometry anymore, right ? since its separate then it can exclusively have its own SG)

Just wanted to find some more hidden logic behind the way MR works with Lights

yolao
11-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Did you render with MR this time?

Well the way you solved your problem can be explained by the fact that now you have your face as a separate geometry....

your workflow:
you duplicate the face as a copy and delete the original one ( so it means your new face is not the part of the original geometry anymore, right ? since its separate then it can exclusively have its own SG)

Just wanted to find some more hidden logic behind the way MR works with Lights

sorry for the delay answer....i hope that you can still see this.

well, i render with MR in both times before and now....the thing with the head that i`m rendering is that is not uv mapped and the body is, and to make render test i delete the body and save as a differnte document the head.
I don`t know what happen before but know all i have to do is to assign a new material to the head and that`s it, i don`t have to duplicate the face anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.