PDA

View Full Version : text on skyscrapers???

deano
11-20-2002, 05:19 PM
I want to know if there is any tried and tested method to get text to appear crawling over the walls of skyscrapers. There are a few commercials on CNBC that sport this effect. I've got great looking footage of buildings with time lapse. The shots are steady so I guess no tracking is required. How do I make the text to bend over the corners of the walls or over the cylindrical columns of the buildings? Some of the shots have been taken with a fish eye lens so there is some perspective distortion. I've tried the corner positioner, Displacement mapping with overlay mode, mesh warp, but nothing seems to work. Can this be done in AE or do I need help from some 3D program?
:wavey:

RiotManZ
11-23-2002, 07:54 PM
I dunno if that works, but what about a displacement map with grayscale-steps.
New solid with an displacement adjusted to the surface of the building (mostly box like?), then add a Text effect . then activate the 3D option and position it.

Maybe it works:surprised

Ian Jones
11-23-2002, 11:52 PM
It would probably be far easier in a 3d program.

On a side note. Half the work you do should be on set. Check with the camera operator which lens they were using... make sure you plan everything.

Ian Jones
11-23-2002, 11:56 PM
I forgot to mention... you can try simulating the fish eye lens with

effect > distort > optics compensation

I bet there is a 3rd party plugin that can do complex grayscale displacement ramp like RiotManz said... if need be you could investigate that option.

deano
11-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Thanx you guys for the suggestions!!! I need this effect for a corporate film that's in the new year. We've got the shots but they are all stock footage. RiotManZ's grayscale step-wise displacement sounds good and I am quite sure it will work for a few of the shots with some layer mode like overlay. For the others, it's a lot of hard work. I don't know of any 3rd party plugin for AE that can do this but will post if I find one out. 3D seems to solve some problems but then again there's "The Budget". I don't know how those commercials were done or what effects package they used. And again maybe there is a definite method to working this out. Maybe they used a software to extract camera info from the scene???
Check out Matchmover at http://www.realviz.com/products/mm/
See ya :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.