PDA

View Full Version : Avantages of color correction node

zoc
11-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I people,
I discover the color correction node... It have all the other color node in one...
But do you think that there's some disadvantages to use it?
thanks!

dveight
11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
the disadvantage of using the ColorCorrect node is that it doenst concatenate

snipt from the shake user manuel
Many of the transform nodes concatenate, similar to the way color-correction nodes
concatenate. Like color corrections, compatible transform nodes that are connected to
one another are concatenated so that each operation is collapsed into a single
calculation, optimizing both processing time and image quality. You can tell which
transform nodes concatenate by the letter C in the upper-left corner of the icon in the
Transform tab. In the screenshot below, you can see that the CameraShake, CornerPin,
and Move3D nodes all concatenate, but the Orient node does not.

most of the color corection stuff can be done in the LookUp node which is very similar to the curves in photoshop.....it may seem silly, but when your working with a 2000 node tree concatenation is your friend and will save render time. Plus you dont always need all that other junk in the color correct node.

cheers,
pat

zoc
11-21-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks dveight... a studied a little more deeper how is important the capacity of concatenate! :thumbsup:

interference
11-23-2005, 11:04 AM
yes concatenation is your friend, but actually it will extend your rendertime !

westiemad
11-27-2005, 07:21 PM
really? i thought the idea was it delt with less, how does it make it longer?

i think colour correct was just written to be an "uber node", you can target low, mids and highs, but i'm a look up and hue curves convert.

interference
11-28-2005, 11:44 PM
well.....the manual says that it make you save render time.....and maybe i said something wrong.....but.... :)......i had an explanation from a shake nerd (tech guy), wich explained me that it can't reduce render time, from what i can remember, it was something like a bigger operation to caculate as the software have to reduce severals node into one....and it sounded really logic. now, i can't tell you what mathematically happens with concatenation, but as soon as i catch him, i'll post it back !

zoc
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm a newbie shaker so this is just an intuition after I studied some material.
I think it takes less time render because it make the mathematical operation once.
After it calculate the operations between concatenable nodes is like a function with a simple variable operation insted of many array operation.
Infact the node that are concatenables are all about levels and mathematical functions.
This is what I understand... so if it's wrong let me know...
And sure, thanks a lot!

Hugh
11-30-2005, 07:32 PM
interference: With concatenation, it has to figure out how to combine the nodes once per segment render, but is then only doing one colour operation per pixel.

If you had 5 nodes that you'd stopped from concatenating, then there would have to be 5 colour operations per pixel.

so sure, there's a little bit extra overhead at first, but it greatly reduces time spent doing the actual image processing....

Concatenation is your friend!

(If you're using Shake 4, press CTRL-e to get the enhanced node view - it will show you which nodes are concatenating...)

dveight
12-05-2005, 03:38 PM
could not have said it better...

very well put hugh!

-Pat

interference
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
yep, i met him, and he said the same thing....all me !!

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.