PDA

View Full Version : Getting decent toon linework pre- version 7

heroinchicmodel
11-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Has anyone here ever figured out how to use the mental ray contour shaders to create "decent" linework? It seems like for all of the ones for maya 6.5 don't have enough attributes to have a fine degree of control (taper, variation, thickness, etc.).

Well, in general, I'm just wondering how to get decent toon linework in maya. It's really easy in XSI, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go in Maya to get the results I want. I want to be able to use textures to map out where my linework is exactly (or at least use paint fx to touch up). And I want to have an accessible degree of local control for each linetype.

your input is greatly appreciated.

djx
11-20-2005, 11:06 AM
You should try and track down the Tomcat Toon Shader which as a free plugin for maya 6.5. It uses paintFx technology (much like the toon shader in maya7) and with it you can get some great toon lines. (I dont think I would use mentalray for this)

heroinchicmodel
11-20-2005, 11:54 AM
I've actually tried the tomcat toon shader, but I need to know how if there are ways to get more control, and I think there are, but they're probably not to be found on the attribute editor of the cartoonshaders, because they don't have options like taper, linethickness etc.

Like is there a way to directly edit the line placement? Is there a way to modify the line thickness based on distance to the camera?

heroinchicmodel
11-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm onto something:

The cartoon shader render globals> keep created strokes option does something Maya 7ish, where I now can see the paintfx splines that make up the lines, but how do you select the CV's of the splines so I can have full line control placement?

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2005, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.