PDA

View Full Version : Spike TV 2005 Video Game Awards Winners

RobertoOrtiz
11-20-2005, 04:35 AM

"The "First Network for Men" taped its third annual awards show for games Friday night in a star-studded affair set to air next month.
Spike TV held the 2005 Video Game Awards at the Gibson Amphitheater in Los Angeles with a variety of rappers, rockers, and movie stars praising the winners of categories voted on by industry veterans and Spike viewers.

This year, Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction, Snakes on a Plane) served as MC, delivering award show banter with a gaming twist and introducing performances by Missy Elliott and Def Leppard. 50 Cent, the first musical act to perform on the show, apparently needed no introduction.

Also appearing on the show were Snoop Dogg (last year's host), Carmen Electra, The Rock, Vin Diesel, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Carson Daly. "

>>Link<< (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140144.html)
-R

animateddave
11-20-2005, 04:45 AM
ewww :argh:

Hazdaz
11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Make them stop. Please.

The fact that they had like 1/2 a dozen awards given to actors and not one Animation Award or Award for Best Shaders or something actually related to the game industry, just shows you what kind of joke this show is.

I think it totaly cheapens the industry and re-affirms the belief in some people that videogames are "just for kids" or "just for teenage boys".

:banghead:

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 05:00 PM
These awards should've been labeled "Fan Boy Awards of 2005"!

There is no way in hell that RE4 should be GOTY over WoW!! And how the hell does King Kong win best movie adaption over Path of Neo??? :rolleyes:

What a laugh those awards were...:applause:

-M

doomdragon
11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
And how the hell does King Kong win best movie adaption over Path of Neo??? :rolleyes:

Well, I checked gamerankings.com and allthough there are very few King Kong reviews listed there yet, they score around 90% while path of neo got a 75% average.
Is it possible you're a bit biased about this? :p

itsallgoode9
11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
-M

"Fan Boy Post of 2005" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nadril
11-20-2005, 06:28 PM

There is no way in hell that RE4 should be GOTY over WoW!! And how the hell does King Kong win best movie adaption over Path of Neo??? :rolleyes:

What a laugh those awards were...:applause:

-M

WoW wasn't that great...not that I'm trying to deffend RE4 either. Something else should have won.

greynite1
11-20-2005, 07:28 PM
I agree with all the sentiments except the WOW over RE4 I am just playing through that game now and Its absolutely fantastic. Adds alot of new elements to the series and is much more accessible to more people. Even on PS2 the Graphics are still pretty damn good. What really makes it awesome is the pacing and the tension it creates which was previously only reserved for the Silent hill series. The thing that the game did that realyl sold me was it allows you to use your environment against your enemies. also they add some light RPG elements to it which allow to improve your weapons and get new ones. Finally the Damage specific location really kicks butt when you can drop an enemy to his knees and then kick him and send him flying into a group of others. CLASSIC. I encourage everybody to at least rent the game and give it a try. I can't wait for RE5 to come out on PS3.

So based on its great adventure elements and atmosphere, graphics and accessibility (Yes I have played both) I would have given it to RE4 too. :)

greynite1
11-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah i agree without one award for software, animation or modelling I don't see the point of this other then giving established stars another oppurtunity to pat themselves on the back. But it is Spike TV so. :)

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, I checked gamerankings.com and allthough there are very few King Kong reviews listed there yet, they score around 90% while path of neo got a 75% average.
Is it possible you're a bit biased about this? :p

No. I own Neo.. and I have played the demo of King Kong.

To me, the best movie adaption game of the year should answer the following question:

"Which game perfectly portrays the movie adaption and excels in a particular gameplay style?" Kong is just a basic adventure game based on the movie. It plays just as well as any of the other movie adaption games like Narnia (which is really good btw), Lord of the Rings, etc..

When I play Neo, I *feel* like I'm Neo. The combat engine is the most robust of any action-fighting game save God of War (even Ninja Gaiden falls slightly short). What can I say about Kong?

-M

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 08:29 PM
"Fan Boy Post of 2005" :rolleyes:

LOL - whatever. If you are going to make a statement - back it up. Kong isn't even out in the stores yet..and it won for what reason? Just because it's Peter Jackson.. that's why.:rolleyes:

-M

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I agree with all the sentiments except the WOW over RE4 I am just playing through that game now and Its absolutely fantastic.

Huh? Are you kidding?

What really makes it awesome is the pacing and the tension it creates which was previously only reserved for the Silent hill series.

The pacing in RE4 was pretty good in the beginning. Once you get to the castle, the pacing slows a LOT. The story was never really interesting. Code Veronica was a lot better in that regard and the tension was nothing close to any of the Silent Hill games.

The thing that the game did that realyl sold me was it allows you to use your environment against your enemies. also they add some light RPG elements to it which allow to improve your weapons and get new ones. Finally the Damage specific location really kicks butt when you can drop an enemy to his knees and then kick him and send him flying into a group of others. CLASSIC.

I do give it that. That was quite unique, but to say it's better than World of Warcraft?? LOL!!!:wip: One of the big questions to ask when deciding GOTY is replay value. RE4 had NO replay value whatsoever. WoW easily has people still locked into the game even now.

-M

animateddave
11-20-2005, 09:29 PM
RE4 had NO replay value whatsoever.

Umm I'm on my third time through it.

WoW easily has people still locked into the game even now.

Gee I wonder why.

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Umm I'm on my third time through it.

And what has changed in your gameplay? You still solve the same puzzles, and you still dispatch enemies the same way. Ask how many people who own RE4 if they replayed the game as opposed to how many WoW subscribers started a new character.

Gee I wonder why.

It's an epic story-based MMO. Which is why it should've won GOTY.;)

-M

EpShot
11-20-2005, 10:27 PM
how are they giving out awards for games that are not even released?

sigh. still at least its a lot better than last year. didn't True Crime LA get like best award or somethign rediulous?

and just because an online game is adicting, does not make it a better game, i'll remind you that a lot of people are playing counter-strike still. WoW may be good, but i would not put it up as game of the year

and how is CIVILIZATION IV NOT IN THE RUNNING FOR BEST GAME?!... EVER!

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
WoW may be good, but i would not put it up as game of the year

I never said that the game is addicting and therefore should win GOTY. I've played many addicting games but doesn't have the GOTY quality.

Have you ever played WoW? I ask because you said - "may be good".

-M

EpShot
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
yes i have played it, and my girlfriend just finished playing it after a year (plus 8 months beta)

She also agree's that Resident Evil 4 deserves the title. based on the list.

she agree's with me however, that Civilization 4 deserves the title for game of the year.

animateddave
11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
And what has changed in your gameplay? You still solve the same puzzles, and you still dispatch enemies the same way. Ask how many people who own RE4 if they replayed the game as opposed to how many WoW subscribers started a new
character.

Sorry but I really don't care about other peoples gaming habits. Sure not much changes the second time around in re4 except new weapons and costumes or a harder diffculty but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. Why would someone start a new character in WoW? Is there even a ending to that game? How many subscribers started a new character simply because they realized their character class sucked or they were just plain bored with it?

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Sorry but I really don't care about other peoples gaming habits. Sure not much changes the second time around in re4 except new weapons and costumes or a harder diffculty but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. Why would someone start a new character in WoW? Is there even a ending to that game? How many subscribers started a new character simply because they realized their character class sucked or they were just plain bored with it?

The answer is variety. Most people start a new character because they want to see the variety in gameplay.

And this isn't about just one person's habits - but the overall consensus of many people's gaming tastes. Hands down WoW has garnered more interest from the average gamer than RE4.

-M

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
She also agree's that Resident Evil 4 deserves the title. based on the list.

What's her reasoning behind why she thinks RE4 is a better game than WoW?

-M

EpShot
11-20-2005, 11:38 PM
she considers Re4 to be a "much higher level of perfection", no bugs, smooth, finely crafted.
requires less time spent playing to enjoy. (thats my main argument as well)

but CIV is still better.

Hazdaz
11-21-2005, 12:28 AM
You guys can argue as to which specific games you think should have won, I just find the whole damn event pathetic.

I honestly haven't see this Spike TV show, but has anyone ever caught a gaming show calling National Lampoons Gamers (or something like that)???... it is just plain awful. Probalby not as bad as the Spike TV thing, but in typical "cool to the extreme" crap that only a commity of non-games could come up with, they totaly lame down this show with a nameless Bikini Girl and stuff like that. Ugh. No one likes to look at 1/2 naked girls more than me, but good lord what does that have to do with gaming???

JeffPalmer
11-21-2005, 12:41 AM
These are a joke. NOBODY will takes games seriously when we have awards shows like this. Just look at MTV's XBOX360 show, that was a slap in the face to the gamming community. The movie industry pumps out just about the same type on content and has the same type of fanboys but yet the only joke of an award show they have is done by MTV as well.

Oh an RE4 is by far one of the best game is have ever played, Great animation, charcters, modeling texturing. Control was still a little iffy but spanks all other RE games IMO. Wow is a great game too, but ive gotten addiceted to horrible MMO's in the past and its the interaction with other people that does it. They should have had a PC and Console game of the year if anything. Yes and giving an award to game THATS NOT EVEN OUT is a joke.

Shaderhacker
11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
she considers Re4 to be a "much higher level of perfection", no bugs, smooth, finely crafted.
requires less time spent playing to enjoy. (thats my main argument as well)

Ok. I'm done arguing now with those comments.:banghead:

-M

EpShot
11-21-2005, 01:58 AM
aren't we mature..

animateddave
11-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Shaderhacker, I don't see why it bothers you. I mean its a award from spike tv it doesn't matter. The only thing worst than getting a award from them is getting one from g4. :surprised

J-Smith
11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
I mean its a award from spike tv it doesn't matter. The only thing worst than getting a award from them is getting one from g4. :surprised

Hahaa! Quoted for TOTAL agreement. I'm glad someone else feels that way, too.

greynite1
11-21-2005, 03:30 AM
I have to Recognize some of the Crits

First of all it must be understood (Not that I'm an authority but I play alot of games) I am not into any of the MMORPGS however I love RPGS like Final Fantasy and those are my games of choice. I am a special sucker for Survival horror and horror themed games.

I am actually not all the way through RE4 and I'm Just itching to start over cause of all the stuff I missed the first time. I have always played through the first time purely for the story but the second time I play for time Only saving like one to three times if I can help it. :)

Okay I will also have to say YES I agree that CIV 4 was not in the running is a travesty but I understand that they are trying to reach across a wider audience. So the consolers are not going to and will never know the awesomeness that is Civ 4 but then again are we really expecting most mainstream audiences to ? I'm not. Its an incredibley addictive well thought out and perfectly executed game. However and maybe I'm being a bit gamer pretentious, its a bit above a mainstream audiences attention span.

but I agree with most sentiments that this award show was a joke it was meant for the mainstream light gamers not us hardcore people who take it more seriously and look at it as not just a fun entertainmetn and diversion but an interactive artform. :)

For that matter it doesn't surprise me if there were NO PC games nominated because then you get a much more sophisticated group then you have WOW as a Contender but also FEAR, QUAKE 4, Half Life 2, DOOM 3, Dawn of War, Call of duty 2 Which we would give any console game a serious run for its money.

For proof if anybody saw the article in PC gamer a few months back about the E3 Gamers choice awards. That was meant for us more hard core people and most of the winners were PC GAMES go head and look it up. So in my wordy way this isn't to be taken seriously :)

Hazdaz
11-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Shaderhacker, I don't see why it bothers you. I mean its a award from spike tv it doesn't matter. The only thing worst than getting a award from them is getting one from g4. :surprised

SHADERHACKER can speak for himself, but the reason it bothers me is because it cheapens the whole industry - it just reinforces the (false) notion that videogames are just for kids and teenage boys. If you treat it like a total joke - which is seems that is that SpikeTV did - then don't ever expect gamers (let alone game developers) to be treeted with legitimacy.
I think there is definitly a connection with the way that idiot lawyer from FL was busting on the game industry - most clueless people like that think the gaming audience is much younger than it really is, and then these people get all shocked when mature subject matter is used in some of these new games.

Wanggo
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Spike Tv sucks! Its to men what the Lifetime channel is to women.

Shaderhacker
11-21-2005, 04:12 PM

It matters because SpikeTV gets watched by people who aren't hardcore gamers. And if they are "marketing" their own biases on these games, then it is a disgrace to the gaming industry and produces false hype for products that doesn't deserve it (ie. RE4 being GOTY, or Kong being nominated several times and winning 3 awards and it's not even out yet). Some of those nominees and awards are just hogwash and people will buy into them sadly.

-M

Nadril
11-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I've learned not to pay atention to anything like Spike TV or MTV anymore. As a gamer I do find it stupid when I hear people talking about "how awsome halo 2 is" and about "how its the best game ever made!" when there are far better games out there.

The awards that were given out were just the most popular games, not the best. If I had the choice, it would be hard, on the acount that truthfully not many great games came out this year. I realy wouldn't have anything worthy, compared to last years great line-up of games. Personaly, I'd probaly go with Battlefield 2, but it came out so damn buggy that it's realy not a great choice.

But what can we say, popularity always wins. Truth be told I am supprised that WoW didn't win, because that's all I hear people talk about these days. I'm still waiting for a good MMORPG to come out that can top Lineage 2 (IMO) :D

J-Smith
11-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I gave up on awards shows long ago. They're nothing but popularity contests, as was stated earlier. Video games are a huge industry right now, and corperations think to themselves, 'Hmm, how can we milk this thing to get every last cent we can out of it?' Thus we have "video mods" on mtv, and game awards on Spike, and video games based on movies, and tv shows, and anything else they can think up.

All this crap flooding the games industry is reminding me of the high-old days of the Atari. Remember what almost happened when games like, Chase the Chuckwagon (a game based on a brand of dog food), E.T. and Pac-Man started coming out? Consoles and video games in general almost died out completely. I guess money makes people forget the past, and they end up in the same quagmire of bullshit they could have avoided if they took the time to see the mistakes of the past. Sad, really.

SalmonGod
11-22-2005, 02:19 AM
meh... it all comes down to old white guys playing golf and sitting around big tables... wondering all the while how they can make money off of other people's work and creativity... then making bad decisions informed primarily by numbers because they dont actually understand or appreciate the industry that they're dealing with...

record labels... hollywood studios... Electronic Arts... anywhere there's art involved, it's always the same

Tonedef
11-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Honestly though...the game companies fuel it. They attend and pride themselves on their 'winnings'...If the companies boycott the stupid award ceremonies then all would be solved.

Because c'mon...RE4 for 'best graphics'....against PGR3!!!??? Riiiiiiiight. It did not deserve Game of the Year either...I mean I am not going to say that I hate RE...I don't. But the game was crappy, who cares about a small brainwashed/cult villiage?! Seriously...it was not true to RE.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 03:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.