PDA

View Full Version : Fist fight

T.Jay
11-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi everyone :)

I'm a student learning 3d animation, and this semester my assignment is to create a 10-15 seconds animation, focusing on animation (as opposed to modelling/rendering/etc). This is the last day of the first week. I have 8 weeks to finish this, along with my other assignments :wip: I hope I can finish this in time (I wanna do modelling and texturing and everything too :D)

The story begins when two grim looking guys from the Correctional Corps (think spooky FBI types) go to "take care" of the main character, the devil (a punk kid with a mean attitude). The animation will focus on the fighting that ensues. (The animation will stop halfway through the animation, for this assignment at least. Might finish it up after the deadline.)

Here is what I have now, modelling progress of the main character. The character isn't supposed to be real, but believable. Large hands, etc are intentional ;) Please tell me if you feel anything's out of whack though. I'll correct them if I can.

I'm supposed to be working on the treatment and storyboard for the proposal now, but I find it difficult to concentrate on that... I want to animate NOW NOW NOW :p I'll have the character designs and storyboard posted in about five more days. Hopefully they don't get rejected :banghead:

http://www.archive.org/download/Devil_Modelling_Progress_1/devilA02.jpg

hkbasravi
11-20-2005, 04:34 AM
The Shoulders on that character still look a little "Boxy"...haha...Pun!

Anyway, sounds like a cool project. looking forward to see the results.

Akoa
11-20-2005, 06:24 AM
The style of the character looks very cool so far. I like when people do not concern theirselves with realism and focus more on making it look cool. One thing I find strange though is it looks like he is wearing a thong.

T.Jay
11-20-2005, 06:49 AM
By thong I take it you mean women's underwear? Yes now that you mention it, it does bear a resemblance :D Will make the straps wider and see if it helps.

hkbasravi I shall try to make it look more natural ;)

Working on the head now. Will try to get a scan of my character sketch ASAP. (Have to wait for my housemate to get back so I can get him to scan it for me :D)

Cheers!

DeeOng
11-20-2005, 08:48 AM
jayjay, lol so exciting......ur siz packs dammm cool.... keep up da good work..;)

T.Jay
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Reference sketch and progress update for today :)
I'm almost done with the modelling for this guy. Still have some small stuff that I keep forgetting, like nipples and his belly-button :p And the interior of his mouth! Man I would not like to model that... Might wait till I finish the storyboard before I decide whether to model it or not
The rest of the details for his jeans will be textures. Oh yeah, It should be a bit torn. Forgot to model that :p

After this, i'll either uv him or design and model one of the Correctional Corps guys. But before that I'll have to work my butt over the treatment and storyboard! Must get those two done or I'll lose precious marks :hmm:

Please tell me if you think anything needs changing.

(The model was not smoothed in the shots with his hair. It gets funky when smoothed and I didn't want to go through the trouble of fixing it -- want to import into Maya and see if it works fine there first.)

Reference sketch (pardon my drawing :p)
http://ia300225.us.archive.org/2/items/Devil_Reference_Sketch/Devilsketch.jpg

Turnaround
http://ia300241.us.archive.org/1/items/Devil_Modelling_Progress_2/devilA08.jpg

Some details
http://ia300212.us.archive.org/1/items/Devil_Modelling_Progress_2_Details/devilA08details.jpg

Well, 2 days of work, and there goes all the parts I'm familliar with! :D Hopefully I manage to do the rest of the assignment ok :wip:

HellBoy
11-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Wow, Just wow, when I saw the very first pic, I though oh interesting, when I saw the latest pic, I said where the hell did that come from, very nice, I like the chain thing in his upper hand

T.Jay
11-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Well I went to see my tutor today. She said I need to work on my character's proportions. In particular, she mentioned that the head could be smaller, making my character fit the 6-head height style; the chain could be bigger (to exagerate my character's defining qualities); jeans are too boxy; the shoulders could be wider; neck should be less thick as viewed from the side.

Basically I should work on exageration and visual appeal.

I don't know. I quite like the guy as he is now :p But I suppose if there's room for improvement, I should fill it up ;) Ah work work work.

Well.... I slept for 4 hours after coming back from classes today. And now I'm all groggy and have a slight headache... Plus I've really, really got to start working on that storyboard before the deadline rears its ugly head :wip: In any case, I think getting the storyboard done will make me more familiar with this character, letting me exagerate the aspects of him I think are more unique. So hopefully I don't touch wings for what remains of today :D

Will update you guys with the storyboard and character design boards in a few days, tops. Thanks for all the replies so far :)

T.Jay
11-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Progress is slow... I've changed the story and cut the number of characters down to two. Now, the bad guy is a high-profile robber who's just stolen a very important artifact. The good guy arrives to get it back from him.

I'm just finalizing the character design right now. The image below is what I have now. The guy in red and black is the robber, the other two are candidates for the good guy. I think I'll go for the yellow and blue space marine design, it seems more interesting. (Yes the robber is supposed to be that much shorter than the good guy.)

(These are just rough 3d sketches. Need to model them properly when I'm feeling happy :p)

http://ia300214.us.archive.org/1/items/Showdown_Character_Design_v2/v2.jpg

I've drawn the storyboard, which I'll be handing in to my tutor. But I think there's some logic problems in the storyline, so I'm changing it for my actual animation. (Shh don't tell her :p)

T.Jay
12-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Modelling and texturing for the robber is done (except for the hair). The guard has not been textured yet.

http://ia300034.us.archive.org/2/items/Showdown__Character_Lineup_Render_Test_01/SidebySide01.jpg

http://ia300043.us.archive.org/0/items/Showdown__Character_Lineup_Render_Test_02/SidebySide02.jpg

Does anyone have any tips for rigging hair and clothes? I'm using Maya. I thought of binding the hair to some joints and the connecting the joints to some gravity fields and whatnot, but I tried it and it didn't work... I don't want to use softbody because I want the hair to maintain its volume. Maybe I should use Softbody + Springs, but the few times I've experimented with them, I got totally lost. The attributes don't seem to do what their names suggest they do!

And the cloth for the robber... I don't wanna use Maya Cloth (I hate having to wait for solvers, and they don't work when I scrub around the timeline...). Plus, right now there's no geometry under the cloth except where they can be seen, so there's nothing for Cloth(tm) to collide with :p

Work work work :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2005, 08:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.